BellaOnline
Posted By: Isabel - Mexican Food Squash blossom crêpe recipe - 09/24/12 03:17 PM
The season of the very traditional �flor de calabaza� or squash blossom has begun, and every market stall in Mexico is festooned with flowers and garlanded with this highly prized delicacy of late summer and early autumn. It is not easily available outside Mexico and I keep promising myself to plant some courgettes/zucchini in my garden just for the flowers, but have never managed to do so. If any of you do actually grow them, these cr�pes are delicious, rich and savoury.
Squash blossom cr�pe recipe
Hola Isabel,

When we go to Morelia and if the squash blossoms are in season, I always order two super-sized quesadillas stuffed with them at one of the outdoor restaurants by the Mercado de Revolucion 0n Calle 22 de Noviembre.

Thanks for reminding me that they are in season, so when I go to Zamora next Tuesday (no I won't be getting any chongos that you abhor!), I will go to that city's expansive outdoor mercado and buy some along with flour tortillas and some good melting queso so that I can make my own quesadillas. As your superb article mentioned, the squash blossoms' delicate flavor can be overwhelmed by strong ingredients/flavors. so I always eat any dishes with squash blossoms sin salsa.
The Mercado de la Revolucion is awesome, I remember it well, and I can see the great big bunches of flor de calabaza in my mind's eye - and wish I could get my hands on some of them. They are finished here and it is a long wait to the next season. Enjoy your quesadillas!
© BellaOnline Forums