BellaOnline
Posted By: SANDY61 repairing tatting - 12/05/05 07:50 PM
I have a friend who has a doily her mother made apx. 75 years ago. The cleaning lady put it in the washer and now it is coming apart. Mostly it has seperated where chains join rings on the previous round. The only thing I can think of is sewing it together with fine thread of the same color. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks
Sandy61 [list]
Posted By: Gillian ClassicalMusic Re: repairing tatting - 12/06/05 10:24 AM
Oh dear I am sorry. I'm not sure what you could suggest for this, but I'll draw attention to your post in the next Newsletter and see if anyone has suggestions. The main problem is going to be matching the thread but you could certainly try sewing one or two chains together the way you suggest and see how it looks. I would in any case use a fine pure cotton quilting thread and not a poly cotton or man made fibre. I would also oversew over the threads rather than make any direct intervention with the lace as far as possible.

Maybe you could post a picture and if anyone recognises it we might be able to find the original pattern and get it made again for you. Quite a lot of the early patterns have been reprinted in one form or another.
© BellaOnline Forums