BellaOnline
Posted By: Jilly Blogs vs Facebook Fan Pages for Businesses - 03/26/10 08:34 AM
if you have a facebook fan page for your business, do you need a blog too?

Blogs vs Facebook Fan Pages for Businesses

I'm a blogging guru from way back and actually used to teach blogging to my other Associates and if you are on Facebook, that is great but it is also good to blog as well.

Posted By: joanj Re: Blogs vs Facebook Fan Pages for Businesses - 03/26/10 10:41 PM
I think blogs and facebook pages really serve 2 different purposes so it's nice to have both. I've hooked my facebook page to my blog so whenever I do a new post, it also shows up on my FB fan page. I think it's harder to get fans to your page tho, than it is to get readers for your blog, at least that's been my experience.

Your blog is out there for anyone to read and if you seo it, many will find you through web searches. FB is a closed system where only other users will see your page too. SEO doesn't really help you on FB.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Blogs vs Facebook Fan Pages for Businesses - 03/30/10 11:15 PM
Good points, ladies! Would you say you agree with my article, then?

I agree with you but just remember when you blog just like creating articles, your content and key words will effect you on the engine search. You have to have a plan of action and try to stay within it to maximize your google boost.

Posted By: Jilly Re: Blogs vs Facebook Fan Pages for Businesses - 04/04/10 11:36 PM
Maureen, that is true about Google, but i find that in my blogs (and blogs I read) I am more interested in getting lots of worthwhile content up than in SEO. I used to really care about key phrases and maximizing SEO - in fact, I used to teach people how to write for the web - but as the search engines get more organic, I've found that writing naturally does very well, all on its own.

Here is what I've decided works best these days: If your blog is on topic for a niche, google will reward frequent quality postings without having to get much involved with SEO.
Here's my experience experimenting with several blogs - An inital push on SEO and blog marketing - come up with good tags, post your blog to technorati, make comments on other related blogs, maybe some an article on one of the article marketing sites mentioning your blog, etc - can really pay off, even long term. I have a blog I did as an experiment with this that years later is still getting good hits even though I don't write anything. But ongoing SEO & marketing doesn't pay off as much as putting that time into your topic (including commenting on related blogs).

Julie
Posted By: Jilly Re: Blogs vs Facebook Fan Pages for Businesses - 04/05/10 11:26 PM
Julie, you are very right. Getting your blog set up to be as visible as possible to search engines, right off the bat, is time very well spent. :-) And I love doing blog marketing. You have a good intro list there. Social marketing is the third leg on this stool. :-)

But nothing ever beats great, on topic content! I guess we can call that the 'seat' on the three-legged stool, in this analogy.

A great blog can pull in residual income without needing much new activity if the "stool" is in place. :-)

Julie, are you willing to share your blog links for us to see what you've done?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Blogs vs Facebook Fan Pages for Businesses - 04/05/10 11:53 PM
For some reason, trying to explain myself in this thread is stressing me out. So I am going to back out of this one. :-)
The blog where I tried doing a lot of pre-setup and then left it is http://dogbodylanguage.blogspot.com. Two blogs where I was regularly doing on topic blog posts at about the same time but didn't do much in the way of marketing was http://misspico.wordpress.com and http://blog.orangerugyarn.com. The former always/still gets more hits (and ad revenue).

Julie
Posted By: Shula Re: Blogs vs Facebook Fan Pages for Businesses - 06/29/10 01:00 PM
It appears that google is favoring blogging quite a lot nowadays, so I'm getting back into it. I'm not a big fan of Facebook.
Posted By: Shula Re: Blogs vs Facebook Fan Pages for Businesses - 06/13/13 07:44 AM
And then the topic just dies. How sad!
Dear Shula,

I think a lot has changed since the original posting of this topic back in 2010! I think now, it's so important not only to blog your business, but also have a FB fan page as well. The more visible a business is, the more customers it will attract. In fact, some businesses not only have FB, but also Twitter and Pinterest accounts!

Social media is always evolving!
Hi Dianne,

I tried to fill out my FB link stuff but not sure if I've done it correctly. However, is it ok if I promote my page via FB (have to pay $6.99), but it's worth it I think for the volume of attention it would get my site. It would travel through Rss feeds of friends of friends etc.

Anxious! Ally!
© BellaOnline Forums