BellaOnline
Posted By: Jilly Are Squidoo Lenses Blogs? - 10/30/08 01:44 AM
Those of you who write or read Squidoo lenses - what exactly are they? Do they qualify as one page blogs? Are they mini-websites? The front page of a discussion board?

I tend to think a one-page blog, but am not quite sure, as I don't have a lens yet myself.
Posted By: Bonniesa Re: Are Squidoo Lenses Blogs? - 12/25/08 04:44 AM
I am still confused by the site, but have it as a goal for 2009 after I get a scanner and try to do a cafepress shop for my sons art work and then promote it on squidoo. I finally did my bio and now my pic is up there, I had rated some lenses and became a fan but could not get that pic, once I did the bio it worked.

Posted By: mygemstonebox Re: Are Squidoo Lenses Blogs? - 12/25/08 04:59 AM
A lens is one person's view on a topic that matters to her. It's an easy-to-build, single web page that can point to blogs, favorite links, RSS feeds, Flickr photos, Google maps, your eBay auctions, CafePress designs, Amazon books or music, and oh so much more. That way, when someone is looking for recommended information, fast, your lens gets him started and sends him off in the right direction.... as stated right off the Squidoo site!

It is great of fun
D
Posted By: Megan M Re: Are Squidoo Lenses Blogs? - 01/09/09 04:40 AM
Like Bonnie, one of my goals this year is to work out Squidoo! I'm still confused about it and how it works.
Posted By: Edie - MysteryBooksEd Re: Are Squidoo Lenses Blogs? - 02/05/09 12:05 PM
I love working on Squidoo, but I don't have the time to do as much as I would like. The important part is linking with others and becoming part of various groups related to your topic.

I only have a few lens, but just started earning a little (very little) amount of money. I imagine those that spend much more time there can earn a few dollars.

I am on Squidoo basically for the fun, not the money, and also I just started using a lens to promote my website. I'll see how that works out.
Posted By: Webcraft Re: Are Squidoo Lenses Blogs? - 02/10/09 07:43 PM
[quote=mygemstonebox]A lens is one person's view on a topic that matters to her. It's an easy-to-build, single web page that can point to blogs, favorite links, RSS feeds, Flickr photos, Google maps, your eBay auctions, CafePress designs, Amazon books or music, and oh so much more. That way, when someone is looking for recommended information, fast, your lens gets him started and sends him off in the right direction.... as stated right off the Squidoo site! It is great of fun D[/quote] Yup that's exactly what it is in a nutshell.
Posted By: joanj Re: Are Squidoo Lenses Blogs? - 02/10/09 07:50 PM
I know squidoo lenses are supposed to bring you back links to your blogs or websites but I always figured I'd rather just promote my websites and blogs directly instead of promoting a squidoo lens.

I had 3 of them that were getting a lot of traffic while I was promoting them but since I stopped, they faded away.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Are Squidoo Lenses Blogs? - 02/11/09 08:56 PM
I am in the middle of moving into my RV and so am too busy to take on new projects right now, but my plan for this year is to document for you all my experiences setting up some lenses, monitizing them and seeing how they fit into the blogosphere. smile
Posted By: Edie - MysteryBooksEd Re: Are Squidoo Lenses Blogs? - 02/13/09 02:03 PM
Jill,

That sounds great. I can set up sites and lens' etc, but the monetizing is difficult for me. Not sure why, but there it is. I keep feeling like I am leaving money on the table, but never quite sure of the next step. I'll be glad to see the results of your experience.
I wish I could remember where I saw this but I read an article by a guy who writes a well-known blog (which of course I can't remember!) and he said he wasn't making any money on his blog and that most blogs don't. There are some notable exceptions (such as Dooce.com which makes between $500,000-1,000,000 a year he says) but mostly they don't. If I can find it, I'll post the link. So, no need to feel like you're doing something wrong!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Are Squidoo Lenses Blogs? - 02/13/09 08:02 PM
There are definitely ways to monitize blogs, but it does require research, time and committed effort. Most people won't get rich off of a few Adsense ads, for example. And there is so much to learn to wade through the internet marketing hype. It can be overwhelming!

But the main point, like most things, is to create a quality product. With blogs and websites, that product is content. For anyone getting started I'd suggest really focusing on putting out great content, solid articles...etc. Make something you can be proud to show people first. :-)
© BellaOnline Forums