BellaOnline
My daughter knows which parent to ask for help for each of her subjects. She has even said, "Never mind Mom, I think I need to go to Daddy for this one." ...and when it comes to history, she's right! ...but she comes to me for math help.

Who's the math person in your family?
Actually it is my grown daughter. She was very advanced in math from an early age and now so is her 10 year old son. They never got it from me or my parents.

Do you think a person is born with a natural mathematical tendency?
Every one but me!
I do think some are born with a mathematically tendency just as some have it for music. However, I know for a fact that you can become a good math student. It's a matter of applying yourself with due diligence and prayer. I've seen it happen!
I have 4 other siblings. Only one of them likes math. In fact, she became an accountant.
I can do algebra and fractions not a problem! but word problems I am worthless at but my husband can figure them out in his head and think nothing about it! my mom is a wiz at percents and can figure out how much tax is and how much off something is all in her head before she gets to the check out line and write her check out for the right amount. I have to use a calulater or paper and pencial just to balence my check book!

I think we all share math in my family we have our area that we are great in and we have an area that we flat stink at! lmao! none of us like math.
Math has never been a real problem for our family but I can't say that we are math wizards. We are just comfortable with numbers.
My boyfriend and I are both good in math, but we practice. Whenever I drop checks off at the bank I always total them up by hand, and I always do tips by hand to stay in practice.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Who is the math person in your family? - 03/29/08 06:04 PM
oh god, not me. Actually no one in my family. smile
My husband is the math person. I can usually figure problems out, but it takes me longer and may involve me counting on my fingers :-). Strangely, though, I am the one who ends up posing math problems to the kids. I guess it is because I am the homework checker.
Depends on the math. I can be really good at hard math problems such as calculus with a little time and some paper and a pencil - but performing basic math in my head - not so good!

I have some siblings who are really good at calculating on the fly but would cringe at a calculus problem.
Posted By: erikae Re: Who is the math person in your family? - 04/29/08 09:04 AM
My dad used to play money games with me and my siblings without using calculators. But the strain of having to compute mentally and the time limit he always insisted on eventually paid off in the future. All of us pursued careers that all have an inclination towards Math. smile
Wow, that is neat that your dad did that with you!

We have so many word games like Scrabble out there, but do we really have math games?
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Who is the math person in your family? - 05/06/08 05:30 PM
When my daughter was young, she would bring me paper & a pencil to make her some "problems". I remember that because one time a friend was visiting when she did it and looked at us both like we were from another planet!

The daughter is an accountant now. :-)
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Who is the math person in your family? - 05/06/08 05:32 PM
Rummikube (sp?) is a good math/numbers game. It's like a huge domino game. Oh, dominoes are a good math game, too.
© BellaOnline Forums