BellaOnline
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Female artists that inspired you - 09/22/10 12:46 AM
When you were young, was there a particular female artist that inspired you?

How about now?

When I was young I was totally inspired by Stevie Nicks. She was so magical.

Now I find myself inspired by women like Sheryl Crow and Loreena McKennitt.

And I still, of course, love Stevie Nicks.
I have to add... I was also very inspired by Bette Midler. When her son, The Rose, came out, I felt like she'd written it for me. I LOVE you Bette!
Tori Amos has been a huge inspiration for me for a long time!
Hey Kevin!! Tori Amos is a very interesting woman. Her songs are way deep! I agree, she is very inspirational.
Posted By: Zekes Re: Female artists that inspired you - 11/17/10 05:59 AM
I love the versatile voice of Mariah Carey and the story of that songs behind the song butterfly. It inspires me a lot to go and dream big for myself.
Zekes, I've never heard the song Butterfly, by Mariah... I'll have to go check it out laugh
Posted By: nevernewsless Re: Female artists that inspired you - 12/04/10 07:00 PM
Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, Anita Baker, Corrine Bailey Rae - all favorites for inspiration during my writing sessions!
[quote=Dreams/Inspiration Editor]When you were young, was there a particular female artist that inspired you? How about now? When I was young I was totally inspired by Stevie Nicks. She was so magical. Now I find myself inspired by women like Sheryl Crow and Loreena McKennitt. And I still, of course, love Stevie Nicks. [/quote] You an I, we are kind of similar.
Definitely Aretha Franklin!
Yep, I am with Dianne on Aretha.
Posted By: emilia Re: Female artists that inspired you - 12/16/10 04:46 AM
Sheryl Crow and Aretha Franklin.
Posted By: Margaret2010 Re: Female artists that inspired you - 12/20/10 03:00 AM
Yep,I'm with Avill.I think she is so hot!!
Posted By: selinna Re: Female artists that inspired you - 02/19/11 04:32 AM
I like <the river>
I love Chante Moore, Erykah Badu, Amel Larrieux & Lauryn Hill. Diana Krall & Sarah Mclachlan blow me away with their talents and strong lyrics. Finally, if you have not heard of Lala Hathaway and you love a deep jazzy vocal - put it in your ear; you will most definitely be pleased.
Back in the late 70s - early 80s, it was definitely Debbie Harry! I loved the way she combined great music with great fashion and style! Also Madonna for similar reasons. On a purely music level, it was Emmylou Harris.
Lena Horn and Barbara Streisand are oldies but they are a great inspiration to me!

Posted By: webjuke Re: Female artists that inspired you - 04/23/11 11:17 AM
For me its Tori
Barbra Streisand is AMAZING!!! And such a great actress too!!!

Ok here is my list:

First and foremost is Sade. She is my girl smile

Celine Dion
Sara Mclaughlin
Pink
Alicia Keys
Tina Turner
Joss Stone
Toni Braxton
Anita Baker
Tracy Chapman
Melissa Etheridge
Dido
Stevie Nicks
K D Lang

What an awesome list!!! And it gives me some new ideas for my music listening pleasure laugh

I LOVE Pink, but have to admit, I forgot about her - poor girl LOL. I love how edgy her songs are - and how they are inspiring to young women too!

Deanna,

'Edgy' ... that is a great descriptive word for her music. smile
Posted By: StevenSmith Re: Female artists that inspired you - 06/22/11 09:33 AM
Alanis Morissette
Steven, I LOVE Alanis!! She has grown so much! I love her recent stuff so much. One of my faves is "Citizen of the Planet," "Underneath," and "Excuses." Powerful stuff!!
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Female artists that inspired you - 06/24/11 06:08 PM
This might sound a bit weird and people will probably think I am mad but Lady Gaga really inspires me. People kept telling me what a weird and evil person this girl was, so I spent a week on YouTube looking at all her music videos and interviews.

She is actually a very clever girl. And to see that she has been named in Forbes as one of the top influential people in the world, at age 24 years, is pretty amazing.

Her outfits are fun, her songs are catchy and it seems that she has a huge following. Everyone who speaks about her, that likes her, says she has given them the courage to be themselves.

In a world where everyone is so judgmental of each other it is nice to see someone who is more interested in making her fans happy than making a fortune. Though I dare say she enjoys the money too!

People say she is copying Madonna, but I feel she is more like Cher. Who is another female artist that I admire.
Linda, I saw Lady Gaga performing on something on TV one night,and I was really impressed with her song! It was right before her album was released, and I kept meaning to go check it out on amazon.

I think she's really pretty interesting!
Ann and Nancy Wilson, from the band Heart, are also inspirations for me!! They really broke new ground for female artists.

And Ann Wilson, in particular, I think has one of the most amazing and powerful voices I've ever heard! What a remarkable lady!
Posted By: jodiemt Re: Female artists that inspired you - 07/14/11 05:28 AM
Celine Dion...her story is truly inspiring.
Jodie, I don't really know Celine's story, but it seems she's gone through quite a lot, hasn't she!

She does have a lovely voice.
Posted By: Sirene Re: Female artists that inspired you - 10/10/11 09:15 AM
Emilie Autumn. I feel a connection with her lyrics and she is an amazing poet, song writer and musician. Recently I mentioned her to a guy who is into the whole "Steampunk" and he said "I hate her." I guess she appeals to emos and "scene" girls. However I see her as an artist and a wonderful talented musician. I was fortunate enough to see her live with her backup group. Even though she is a bit ott, I can understand her pain in her lyrics and music.
Posted By: Ore Gorman Re: Female artists that inspired you - 10/30/11 12:34 AM
Seeing as how.. BellaOnline isn't ready to add an Ambient Music area to the forums.. I'd like to add a few of my favorite Women Ambient Artisans: Constance Demby: constancedemby.com Janet Robbins: janetrobbinsmusic.com The Late Lucette Bourdin: lbourdin.com
Posted By: Claire Green Re: Female artists that inspired you - 12/13/11 02:02 AM
Stevie Nicks is also the one who inspired me.
Posted By: mymindseye Re: Female artists that inspired you - 12/25/11 12:30 AM
The biggest,best,smartest person that "Transformed"my life,is Melissa Etheridge! I've been given the courage to "Stand-UP",by seeing how much truth,and strength she shows in everything she does,and says. I feel what she's singing!,and I'm just BLOWN-AWAY! by her lyrics!She's incredibly intelligent!,and I love smart Women.
Posted By: gemineye006 Re: Female artists that inspired you - 12/31/11 10:22 PM
kat bjelland
© BellaOnline Forums