BellaOnline
Posted By: Jim Colyer Women in music - 06/21/06 01:55 PM
In the old days, I preferred to listen to men. It was Elvis Presley and The Beatles. With ABBA and Shania Twain, I went over to the women. Being a songwriter, I have written for and recorded 25 women since 1978.
Posted By: UltraViolet Re: Women in music - 07/21/06 07:52 AM
I like both men and women...both of them could be innovative but back in those time women who would sing about sex would be seen as temptations of the devil I guess...Ray Charles sang gospel while talking about love and sex...Millie Jackson was one of my favorite...did you ever see the cover of her album called "Back to the [censored]"? If you haven't then you should. I also like Nina Simone, and nowadays I listen a lot to Erikah Badu, I love her live performances and unique voice...Diana Krall is great too. And one of my favorite goth/celtic group called Therion's singer is a woman...:D
Posted By: JoyceScarbrough Re: Women in music - 08/13/06 12:27 AM
I became a fan of Jann Arden's when I saw her opening for Michael Bubl� in concert last month. Not only are her songs beautiful and touching, she was wickedly funny. I checked out her website when I got home and found her to be an intriguing personality as well. I can't understand why she hasn't had more hits since "Insensitive" back in 1995.
Posted By: sleepymoves123 Re: Women in music - 11/07/06 09:02 PM
everyone check out this girl band! its like the new gogos or something! i just say them play!!

myspace.com/rocket
Posted By: ina Re: Women in music - 12/27/06 11:47 PM
i love to listen to female vocalists in different music styles, of late i have been enjoying carla bruni,lisa ekdahl and chantel chamberland. they add the perfect backgound sounds to my days and nights.
i love to sloow my thoughts down with some jazzy bluesy cool female vocalists...i'll let you know when i fing someone new.
find them at barnes and nobles or www.amazon or www.hotmooncollection.com
Posted By: jmb Re: Women in music - 01/25/07 12:01 PM
My favorite female artists are (in no particular order):
Amy Grant
Sheryl Crow
Kelly Clarkson
Heart
Amanda Marshall
Madonna
Cher
The Bangles
Leigh Nash
Gwen Stefani
Posted By: allflowerz Re: Women in music - 02/21/07 10:24 PM
I like women singing, some of what I like is Dionne Warwick, Shannon Moore, and Nina Sky
Posted By: Jim Colyer Re: Women in music - 03/17/07 10:11 PM
How about Gretchen Wilson?
Posted By: Swishykid Re: Women in music - 03/19/07 06:57 PM
I am a die-hard Gwen Stefani fan!!
Posted By: Kevin - Hockey Re: Women in music - 05/05/07 11:49 PM
I love music. Women in music are very prominent. Some of my favourites are: Tori Amos (awesome!); Alanis Morissette; Dar Williams; and Jann Arden ... many more though!
Posted By: LilWolf Re: Women in music - 05/14/07 01:54 AM
Tori Amos is my absolute Fav! I also like Sarah McLachlan and Alanis Morissette. Other than that, there really aren't any other females I like.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Women in music - 05/29/07 09:07 PM
I prefer singer song writters who can carry a tune, a well as a message. I am not partial to cliche'love songs much but the feelings of that trip you may go on are more colorful to write about. My preferance varies, Carole King, Alanis, Janis J,Carly Simon,Jan Arden,Heart,Mahalia Jackson,Emi Lou Harris.....
on the Men's side, Ray Charles,Eric Clapton, John Prine, Neil Young,John Lennon,Leonard Cohen,Elvis and Mr Cash! Ronnie Van Zant, Jim Morison, and Page, Alice Cooper......You know the story tellers. Some more twisted than others but relevant to my being.
Mamas and the Papas were another of my favorite (take me on a journey group)also Floyd,Styx,Alice in Chains and Candle box, Sorry, I know this was about Women singers So I will add Dixie Chicks!....I do ramble on!
Any way, I also appreciate my vocals, I give it all I have passionately and tell my story!.....
You can catch all that from my profile or go to hjwebster.com.....one of my songs Black and Blue is about the cycle of abuse.
Anyway...
Hello to all, wishing you a creative day!
Chia
Posted By: sweetkisses0290 Re: Women in music - 07/03/07 04:49 PM
It all depends on the person not the sex of the person.Some males are better than women(Goerge Strait over Reba)Some females are better than males.(gwen stefani over clay aiken)
Posted By: honey415 Re: Women in music - 08/18/07 02:18 PM
I love Gwen Stefani too. I love her style & her voice, she awesome. I also like Kelly Clarkson (I am a huge AI fan) and Celine Dion, I think she has the most amazing voice ever. I will never forget the Alanta Olympics, when she sang at the closing cerominies (sp?) without a microphone, because the PA system wasnt working.
Posted By: Musicpeace Re: Women in music - 09/14/07 06:02 AM
I love women's voices too. Being a composer, singer and writer of ancient healing and transformational music, I particularly like woman's voices without lyrics or ethnic music, particularly from Turkey.

The music takes me to another place inside of myself.

Eliana Gilad
Founder, Voices of Eden
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
© BellaOnline Forums