BellaOnline
Posted By: Jill - Healthy Foods Apples Apples Everywhere - 10/09/07 02:25 PM
Well the weather is about to break here in NY so it will soon feel like fall...finally! Apples are my fav fall treat. There are so many different kinds and so many things to do with them! My current fav is Honey Crisp apples sliced with a bit of cheddar cheese. What are your favorite apples and apple ideas/recipes?
Posted By: Sue Early Childhood Re: Apples Apples Everywhere - 10/09/07 02:30 PM
I have been eating an apple for breakfast every day for a month now. I have lost about 10 lbs just from doing this. Also, since the apples are very cheap now, I bought 2 bags and put them in a nice bowl on the table as a center piece. they were gone in 3 days. If I put them in the frig, no one eats them. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.
Posted By: joanj Re: Apples Apples Everywhere - 10/09/07 06:08 PM
Prevention magazine has an article about Apples in the November issue. Studies say apples can help reduce the risk of death from heart disease in post-menopausal women, help lower the risk of lung cancer and type 2 diabetes and help women lose weight. they contain antioxidant flavonoids and fiber, besides vitamins.

I love to make homemade applesauce this time of the year.
Posted By: Jill - Healthy Foods Re: Apples Apples Everywhere - 10/09/07 06:10 PM
My fiance has been eating an apple for breakfast every day and he too is losing weight.
Love the center piece idea!
Posted By: chloe21 Re: Apples Apples Everywhere - 10/11/07 03:52 PM
I like baked apples sprinkled with just a bit of brown sugar and a few pecans. They smell so wonderful while they're baking.
Posted By: Jill - Healthy Foods Re: Apples Apples Everywhere - 10/24/07 06:46 PM
Would you guys be interested in an article about all the different types of apples and which are best for different uses?
I love honey crisps! My DH and I "discovered" them three years ago and have been addicted ever since. They keep exceptionally well, too - just pop them into the refrigerator crisper drawer and they'll stay firm for up to 5 months.
Originally Posted By: Jill - Healthy Foods
Would you guys be interested in an article about all the different types of apples and which are best for different uses?

Yes - especially which ones are best for baking/pies!
Posted By: Jill - Healthy Foods Re: Apples Apples Everywhere - 10/24/07 08:31 PM
Okay great, I will work on it for this week. Thanks for the feedback!
We're eating apples in everything (and using apple cider to cook with, too.)

Gourmet magazine did an article on different types of apples a few years ago, and I found a few varieties that I had never tried at our local farmer's market. Totaly fell in love with "Pink Lady" variety! Anytime I see that in season, I just go crazy buying them up. It's a perfect "eat as is" apple, really crisp, and sweet/tangy.
Posted By: hollyelise Re: Apples Apples Everywhere - 10/29/07 06:40 PM
WOW! Those are great tips! I'm going to start eating an apple for breakfast, too.

Yes, Jill, i would like to see that article. My favorite apples are the last of the year: the Staymen Winesap. I swear it's great for everything! Crisp, sweet, so juicy it runs down your chin. It's similar to the more common Braeburn.

Posted By: Jill - Healthy Foods Re: Apples Apples Everywhere - 10/29/07 07:22 PM
Hmm, I will have to try and find that type.
Posted By: wonderwoman13 Re: Apples Apples Everywhere - 11/05/07 08:25 PM
I got a big basket of apples 2 weekends ago and still have some in the refrigerator. I've been having them for lunch most days and they are absolutely delicious. It's such a fall staple for me and I love it! I haven't made an apple pie yet but I'm hoping to soon. Probably for Thanksgiving!
Posted By: fibi Re: Apples Apples Everywhere - 11/05/07 08:36 PM
It seems we have something in common,we like apples .Apples are my favourite fruits whether green ,yellow or red. I like apple pies they're delicious.
As they say an apple a day keeps the doctor away!
© BellaOnline Forums