BellaOnline
Posted By: iwonder Snoring drives me crazy! - 05/24/07 05:41 AM
Does anyone have a roommate that snores and snores some more and how do you deal with it? sleep
Posted By: lala21 Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 05/24/07 05:49 AM
My husband snores on his back so I just roll him over... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... Ive always liked listening to music, but he needs it quiet, and I dont like his snoring, so I just listen to my discman until Im almost asleep. It works perfectly!
Oh, I have told my husband that if he ever dies in his sleep - it will be because I killed him for snoring!

He's horrible! I can hear hm two rooms away. And I already suffer from insomnia - so some nights my sanity is about to crack. He's gone to the Dr. but they say the only thing that can be done to help is surgery - and he doesn't want to have that done.

And he snores in whatever position he lays in. I am very thankful for my Ambien.
Posted By: lala21 Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 05/25/07 12:23 AM
My mom is like that.. I used to be able to hear her 3 rooms away lol she's BBAAAD
Posted By: iwonder Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 05/25/07 03:55 AM
The good old nudge and roll over worked for the past few years, but he's over the edge now. I'm afraid he will need surgery as well. But I need sleep and he wakes me up every night (that he doesn't end up on the sofa)! Imagine this, one night he was snoring numbers, literally. His entire life is numbers, I was amused by it, then I plugged his nose just to see what would happen. The next day I'm telling my story, he was even in stitches, and he's usually pretty sensitive about all of it. But it drives me CRAZY!
Posted By: das Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 05/25/07 05:11 AM
This needs a small surgery?
Posted By: iluvsummer Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 06/07/07 11:32 PM
When my husband's snoring wakes me (sometimes even his breathing bothers me!) I pop in the earplugs I keep on my nightstand, and I can't hear a thing! I'm not sure they'd work for the "three rooms away" kind of snoring, though.
Posted By: iwonder Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 06/08/07 05:00 AM
I would wear ear plugs in a heart beat, just afraid I wouldn't wake up to the alarm in the am, and I really need the alarm. It would work ok on the weekends. Maybe I could convince him to wake me before he leaves for work, or take out the ear plug(s). Anything would be better then waking up three times a night!
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 06/08/07 08:16 AM
I'm not saying this is the case here, but snoring is always seen as an almost comical complaint - yet sleep deprivation is the worst kind of torture - quite literally. It was certainbly used (and probably still is!) against prisoners of war as a means of weakening them, and is dreadfully effective at lowering the morale....
Coupled with this, there is the tension and resentment it causes in the unwilling insomniac.
It is also worth bearing in mind that the snorer is also not experiencing a 'good night's sleep'... Their loud snoring is a sign of excessive restriction of the wind passage, and they are struggling to take in enough air to breathe and to function properly. Occasionally, in extreme cases, this causes sleep apnoea - a cessation of breathing all together, when there is a pause, a silence - and the person is deprived of air completely. This can lead to medical complications and other side effects.
But it's little comfort to the partner, who not only has to endure sleepless nights, but also listen to the road-drill noise-level next to them!
you can tell I speak from experience can't you? laugh

My partner can be heard from outside the house.
That's loud.
But he's very sensitive and touchy about it. He used to get quite offended when I told him how loud he was, but now he realises it's a problem....To make matters worse, he's had his nose broken. Twice.
So I do wear earplugs, he catches the alarm and then wakes me, (but I usually wake up before him anyway, such is my body-clock accustomed to the hour....)

The best practical measures for a snorer are to watch their weight, because excess chubbyness round the throat is definitely a factor, watch what foods they eat late at night (dairy products are a culprit at times) and to not smoke.

here's a couple of links I hope you'll find helpful.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: iwonder Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 06/09/07 05:54 AM
Alexandra, thanks so much for the links-very helpful. And yes, you do get it! Your partner sounds much like my dh, sensitive about it. He's getting better. And he sleeps on the sofa many nights, just so I can sleep, and stay asleep. He doesn't have a weight problem, he has small sinus passages. After reading the links he probably has more than one problem. Again, thank you.
Posted By: Ganesh J acharya Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 06/24/07 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: iwonder
Alexandra, thanks so much for the links-very helpful. And yes, you do get it! Your partner sounds much like my dh, sensitive about it. He's getting better. And he sleeps on the sofa many nights, just so I can sleep, and stay asleep. He doesn't have a weight problem, he has small sinus passages. After reading the links he probably has more than one problem. Again, thank you.

I keep wondering is snoring that BAD? I think more of the men of this age have this problem. I never realised this before I got married. But, then most of the women here could not be knowing if they snored. I did tell that to my wife after I was awake and I saw her doing the same.. So, may be I said and may be your husband would have not told you the same. Men have the ability to ignore problems as small as this...
Posted By: iwonder Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 07/10/07 04:31 AM
Update, he's gone to the doctor and did a sleep study. Has sleep apnoea, now onto the next step. It was very kind of him to do all of this.
Posted By: Rogue Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 07/10/07 11:48 PM
I am the snorer in my marriage. Actually, my hubby describes it as very loud, heavy breathing. Not quite a snore...but annoying to him nonetheless. He says the worst is when he's just about to fall asleep, and my breathing changes tempo or volume. Then it wakes him. So we just keep a fan on all night, and the white-noise seems to work. Now we've used it so long, even *I* need the sound to fall asleep because I'm so accustomed to it!
Posted By: Ganesh J acharya Re: Snoring drives me crazy! - 07/16/07 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Rogue
I am the snorer in my marriage. Actually, my hubby describes it as very loud, heavy breathing. Not quite a snore...but annoying to him nonetheless. He says the worst is when he's just about to fall asleep, and my breathing changes tempo or volume. Then it wakes him. So we just keep a fan on all night, and the white-noise seems to work. Now we've used it so long, even *I* need the sound to fall asleep because I'm so accustomed to it!

:)) Yes it becomes a habit hearing the snoring and I am sure there will be a time where your husband will need to ask you to snore .. or he will surely not sleep... This happens with people who stay near high traffic roads and railway tracks. They have a problem when they reach a silent place... They feel the silence killing
Originally Posted By: iwonder
Update, he's gone to the doctor and did a sleep study. Has sleep apnoea, now onto the next step. It was very kind of him to do all of this.

Hurrah! Not only is this going to make a difference in his snoring - but he is going to feel so much better. People with sleep apnea do not realize how much oxygen is being deprived from their bodies. He will have a ton more energy, and better sleep, too (not to mention yours.)

My Dad suffers from sleep apnea - his had gotten so bad that he was falling asleep in the car A LOT! He even had a wreck from dozing off at the wheel. He's had his machine for several years now, and it has made a huge difference. It even made a change in his blood pressure! His apnea is from being overweight, though. He's going to have the gastric bypass done like I had.
© BellaOnline Forums