BellaOnline
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 09/29/11 06:11 PM
Even though they did have bootcamps, I decided to save my writing for November. The NaNoWriMo site is about to reset their site for the upcoming "challenge".

I was wondering if anyone is participating this year and what you may be doing ahead of time to prepare?
Posted By: Debra // Dogs Editor Re: Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 10/10/11 05:37 PM
*waves enthusiastically*

I will be! I've done it every year since 2006... with several wins. Last year was just too hectic... I gave up about 13,000 words in. Two new puppies in the house wasn't the best time to try to get anything coherent down!

I think my prep will be limited... I have something I've already started, so I'm going to put my 50k toward that. I already have the characters and the general story arc, so I think that's good enough. I know some people that take October to plan out every scene, outline, outline, and outline, write up character bios... I was never that kind of writer. I want there to be some sort of surprise as I'm writing... and when I know I'm onto something right, there always comes a point where the characters will say or do something that I have no idea where it came from. I like that potential for random contributions from characters, and if there's too much planning, I either lose that or lose all the work that my characters insist on derailing ;-)

Besides, where's the fun in getting to the end if you know what's going to happen already?!
Posted By: Debra // Dogs Editor Re: Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 10/16/11 09:41 PM
(BTW my user name is Fenrir Catenatus if you would like to friend me!) I just logged on for the year.... getting ready!
Posted By: Janina - Photography Re: Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 10/17/11 12:59 AM
I am going to participate in NaNo this year. I haven't the last few years because it has been so hectic with work, school and family. But I have finished school, and have a bit more time now!

My user name is Faith4w, but it looks like writing buddies isn't up and running quite yet.
Posted By: CricketW Re: Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 10/17/11 11:46 AM
I'll be participating this year...I figure I'm already writing that much every day, so it shouldn't be too much more hectic. smile

Like Debra, I'm kind of a pantser. I've got a general idea where I'm going, and I'll be letting the characters tell me their story as it happens. I've tried so hard to be a plotter, but it never works for me.
Posted By: Debra // Dogs Editor Re: Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 10/17/11 08:22 PM
LOVE the term pantser laugh

That is just awesomeness -- and so accurate!
Posted By: CricketW Re: Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 10/17/11 11:19 PM
So wish I could take credit for it. smile
Posted By: Debra // Dogs Editor Re: Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 10/23/11 09:32 PM
I may have to "borrow" that one, lol -- don't worry, I'll treat it well and honor what it stands for!

Still no Nano buddies option... coming soon, they had better get going on that. It's almost time!
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 10/23/11 09:53 PM
Great to see so many participating this year. I still have to sign in.
Posted By: Debra // Dogs Editor Re: Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 10/24/11 06:53 PM
Been sifting through the forums.... it's always interesting to read what people are doing and how they're going to get through the month. It's funny -- only people who have done Nano know what a challenge it is, and how it encompasses so much of life for that one month!

It ought to be interesting... I have a wedding, my birthday, Thanksgiving and a potential long weekend trip to Texas to write around. Looks like the first week of the month is going to have to be pretty hardcore!
Posted By: Tina - Living Simply Re: Preparing for NaNoWriMo - 10/24/11 07:06 PM
My 11 year old daughter Joanna is going to take on the challenge in homeschool. As a child she's allowed to set her own writing goal, but she's determined to aim for the 50,000. It's the first time she has done this.

She is going to have a character who has lots of different adventures. Today we are inventing her character.

Me, I'm going to use her writing time to get my already written book (Living Simply) ready for publication. I'm hoping to have it published by the end of November.

© BellaOnline Forums