BellaOnline
What is your favorite historical fiction novel?

Out of the many historical fiction novels I have read, my favorite has to be The Day Before the Berlin Wall, by T.H.E. Hill.
Anything by Jane Austen - turn of the 18/19 Century. Anything by Thomas Hardy - late Victorian period ie late 19 Century, though I particularly love The Return of the Native and Far From The Madding Crowd. And I absolutely love Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray. Georgian period, the anti-heroine, Becky Sharp is utterly self serving, which some people believe is to her credit but was certainly seen as unusual in a woman - and still is, in the main. She is very much her own woman, and ruthless, so an unusual choice of heroine.
The Siege by Helen Dunmore is a beautifully written book - about the siege of Leningrad.

The Source, by James Michener, a book that roles through time and generations in an epic story, is another of my favourites.
Chiefs - Stuart Wood

Story about generations of police chiefs in the small town of Delano, Ga. and how they get close to solving a murder and then wind up dead themselves before they can put all of the pieces together. Very good novel.
© BellaOnline Forums