BellaOnline
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Rugmaking - 12/05/10 10:37 PM
Do you make rugs for a hobby or professionally?

What made you start doing this?

We would love to hear from you and any tips you may have for us.

Thank you smile
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Rugmaking - 05/05/11 07:13 PM
Rug making is an ancient craft, and covers a variety of techniques.

Braided rugs are made by using three or more strips of fabric, usually wool, folding the raw edges to the middle and braiding them together. For an oval rug the center braid should be one inch longer than the width-length in feet. example 2' x 4' rug center strip would be 2'2" long. The center braid is laced together and new strips are sewn on to make the braid longer as lacing continues.

Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley

Thank you smile
Posted By: rdywenur Re: Rugmaking - 05/15/11 05:24 AM
I once joined a class and have completed a circle big enough to cover a stool (that was the plan) Not your technique by braiding but by cutting strips of wool and hooking them through canvas creating tiny loops....more on the primitive rug hooking technique.
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Rugmaking - 06/05/11 07:44 PM
My daughter did a "Winnie the Pooh" rug from a kit I got for her while she was in high school and at age 24, still has it. Do you enjoy rugmaking? Any pictures to share? Thanks wink

Originally Posted By: rdywenur
I once joined a class and have completed a circle big enough to cover a stool (that was the plan) Not your technique by braiding but by cutting strips of wool and hooking them through canvas creating tiny loops....more on the primitive rug hooking technique.
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Rugmaking - 01/01/12 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley

Thank you smile
Posted By: Kim-carpets Re: Rugmaking - 01/05/12 04:26 AM
I make rugs as a hobby and professionally. I decided to try my hand at rug making because it is often quicker than knitting, weaving, braiding, crocheting, etc other items. I can get a project done and use it in a relatively short period of time. Please visit the rugmaking bellaonline site for new articles.
Posted By: Kim-carpets Re: Rugmaking - 01/12/12 12:31 AM
please check out the newest rugmaking article.
© BellaOnline Forums