BellaOnline
I have this one eyeliner, not sure how long I've had it. I'm thinking it might be time to throw it away, but I don't wear a lot of makeup and I finally found this one, but I can't remember where I bought it.
Hi Dianne,

If the eyeliner is still unopened, it should be fine for many years. Once products are opened, they will degrade since they've been exposed to air.

I usually keep pencil eyeliner for 2-3 years. If it's been a while since I've used it, I'll resharpen to expose new product.

If it's liquid (and has not dried up), I'd say 2 years should be safe.

I would go longer on foundation or blush, but don't like to take chances on any products that I'll be using close to my eyes.

Hope that helps!
Posted By: jodiemt Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 04/27/12 04:50 AM
I use an eyeliner for 2-3 years maximum.
Great advice, thanks so much...I really should start paying attention!
You should only keep products for 3-4 months. Although they have a longer shelf life, they are meant to be used before that. Generally someone who uses mascara (for example) every day will not have it for 2 years. It will be gone by then. you should be really careful with anything that is going near your eye and use only new products.
Posted By: Tania Jack Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 07/09/12 02:17 PM
If you are using natural cosmetics, these should be thrown out sooner. Regular cosmetics contain ingredients that do help prolong shelf life.
Posted By: Encore DT Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 07/09/12 09:53 PM
Most store-bought makeup will last for years, as long as it is stored in a "cool, dry place" at room temperature, just as most labels say.
Posted By: Ezine_LVer Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 07/24/12 08:47 AM
I throw away my eyeliner every half a year before. Now i don't use it. Find it is troublesome.
Posted By: Sarena Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 07/24/12 09:13 AM
I use pencil eyeliner since last 2 years.
Posted By: Latesha143 Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 09/08/12 04:01 AM
I keep mine for 1 year then I toss it after. There was a time that I continued using my eyeliner and mascara for more quite awhile since I don't really use it that often, I ended up having a sty on my lower eyelid. the doctor told me it can be caused by bacteria which can come from cosmetics. It was awkward, going through my meetings wearing sun glasses in doors! lol....
Posted By: mattresstx Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 09/12/12 09:13 AM
I think if it is unopened then you need not to worry as it is a fresh piece just check its expiry date once and use it as it is.
Posted By: rosaly Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 09/28/12 12:24 PM
All the facial products should be used before 6 moths or hardly for 9 months.
[quote=BRTCskincare]You should only keep products for 3-4 months. Although they have a longer shelf life, they are meant to be used before that. Generally someone who uses mascara (for example) every day will not have it for 2 years. It will be gone by then. you should be really careful with anything that is going near your eye and use only new products. [/quote] I think the the quality of cosmetics should be good.
It is best that you should keep products for 4-5 months. Keep in mind that although they have a longer shelf life, they are meant to be used before that..
Posted By: Fiverivers Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 12/01/12 08:47 AM
I also use my pencil eyeliner since last 2.5 years. its given result for long time.
[quote=BRTCskincare]You should only keep products for 3-4 months. Although they have a longer shelf life, they are meant to be used before that. Generally someone who uses mascara (for example) every day will not have it for 2 years. It will be gone by then. you should be really careful with anything that is going near your eye and use only new products. [/quote] wow! this is really an eye opener for me! thanks for this! :) www.cntraders.net
so hard for me
Posted By: kanika Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 01/10/13 06:03 AM
when you purchase beauty products the always take latest month product and use it till the product don't get expire.
Posted By: clairehobby Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 01/10/13 09:58 PM
don't worry , a eyeline can be kept for 3 years.
Posted By: dianaz Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 01/16/13 11:20 AM
well if you think it's the time to throw it away - do that! it's always right feeling :-)
I always check the expiration date which might be somewhere on the back label or bottom of the product. Otherwise, it is a sure bet that any product that is closing in on a year old should be disposed of promptly. Products lose their effectiveness over time, bacteria builds up, and might cause an infection.
i think all facial product will listed that how month you can use it.
Posted By: vijaykumar Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 02/25/13 02:13 AM
Use eyeliner pencil.
Posted By: masoom Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 03/08/13 01:58 PM
well said Dianaz
Posted By: Lady J Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 04/16/13 12:11 AM
Rule of thumb is once opened, if it's a liquid or gel, get rid of it in 4-6 months or by the expiration date. If it is unopened, then it is still good up to the expiration date. If your product doesn't have an expiration date, and you've had it in your possession over 6 months.... throw it away.

Anything that goes near mucus membranes should always be thrown away after an infection or illness. Anything like chapsticks, lipsticks, glosses, etc should be thrown away after a cold especially when they've been used. you can build up bacteria from illness and keep giving it to yourself. If you have a cold sore, throw away the product, you can spread them.

Always store your products in a cool dry place... NOT THE FRIGE or FREEZER. those can actually cause degredation of the products since most contain fats.
I always use the product before its deadline, and keep it in a cool dry place, but if the product i dont use for a long time although in the expiration date, i will dispose.
Posted By: Waektra Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 05/01/13 03:56 AM
I have not used it again
Posted By: Laura Figel Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 05/09/13 12:39 AM
I use an eyeliner for 2-3 years maximum.
Posted By: Laura Figel Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 05/09/13 12:41 AM
Great, thank you!
Posted By: Laura Figel Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 05/09/13 12:43 AM
Great ideas!
Posted By: Allynbarb Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 05/14/13 04:59 AM
I use eyeliner pencil..
Eye Liner can be kept for long but we can be sure about keeping other products for such long some products must get degraded.
Posted By: D Rose Re: Any tips on how long to keep make up - 09/09/13 05:00 AM
I do not use eyeliner after its expire period or in case expire date is not mentioned I use it only for 1 to 1.5, max 2 years.
© BellaOnline Forums