BellaOnline
Posted By: Modern Woman Tibetan - 05/19/09 10:24 AM
will Tibetan Buddhism will be lost in future? Any opinion?
Posted By: Lisa - Buddhism Re: Tibetan - 05/19/09 09:00 PM
Do you mean because it is so spread out in the diaspora? If so, then I think the essence of the teachings will not be lost, they will evolve. Which is what Buddhism has always done, based on the cultures it has arrived in. From what I have read, many Indian Buddhists declared the teachings of Padmasambhava (the 'founder' of Tibetan Buddhism) as blasphemy at the time. So I do think it will not exist in the exact same form that it did while isolated in Tibet, but in a way that may be good, because the teachings will become more relevant to more people, and the modern world.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Tibetan - 05/21/09 08:54 AM
I asked this because Dalai lama is worried that Tibetan Buddhism may be lost forever.
Posted By: Claybird Re: Tibetan - 05/22/09 12:38 AM
I understand that Tibetan Buddhism is flourishing here in the USA. My DD is a member of an active Tibetan Buddhist sangha in Florida.
The Buddha himself instructed his most enlightened followers to carry the teachings across the world, and to translate them into the language of every new land so they could bring benefit to all.
I can understand the Dalai Lama's concern that the Tibetan culture may fade as its people adapt to new countries in their exile but the essence of Tibetan Buddhism will live on, I am sure.
Posted By: Lisa - Buddhism Re: Tibetan - 05/22/09 03:32 AM
Claybird - thanks for posting! Yes, Tibetan Buddhism is flourishing in the West. I think the fear of some is that it is getting 'watered down' and mixed in with other forms of Buddhism and practices. Many Buddhist centers here in the West mix different Buddhist traditions. Personally I don't see this as a 'watering down' but just as adaptation to different cultural needs, but some disagree.
Also, the generation of Tibetan teachers that actually lived in Tibet and received formal monastic training there are aging, and won't be around forever. There is a fear that the formal training won't be carried on for much longer, and that the more esoteric teachings - which are part of what distinguish Tibetan Buddhism from other branches will be lost.
I hadn't heard the Dalai Lama express these views, but I have heard others do so. So I'm not sure exactly what his take on it was.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Tibetan - 05/22/09 08:18 AM
In an interview to an Indian news channel he was worried that all that is traditional Buddhist in Tibet will slowly be dead because of China.

that is why he says that China should at least give them religious freedom.
Posted By: Lisa - Buddhism Re: Tibetan - 05/22/09 09:04 PM
Ah, so he is mostly worried about Buddhism surviving inside Tibet. Yes, considering the limits China has placed on it, it seems it would be very hard for it to truly survive there long term. Fortunately, many of the ancient texts and teachings have been brought out of the country though.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Tibetan - 05/22/09 10:33 PM
Lisa,

Will there be another to take over as the Dalai Lama when this one passes on? I heard that the "chosen one" to be the next Dalai Lama was kidnapped years ago and has never been found.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Tibetan - 05/23/09 08:41 AM
Dalai Lama will chose his successor before he goes away.
Posted By: Lisa - Buddhism Re: Tibetan - 05/23/09 09:55 PM
cdmohotta - Is this known? In the past the new Dalai Lama was always discovered after rebirth through the traditional tulku-discovery process, right? I thought a temporary 'ward' was established before that, but otherwise, everyone just has to wait for rebirth and for the child to be old enough to pass certain 'tests'.

Phyllis - I have never heard this kidnapping rumor, I will research this and get back to you.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Tibetan - 05/26/09 03:45 PM
Hi Lisa,

My son turned to the Buddhism Faith many, many years ago and has been teaching me in little bits over the last several months. I sent an email to my him with the same question I asked earlier. My son is a teacher of Buddhism and the following is the message he sent me, with his permission to include here:

The Panchen Lama and Dalai Lama have historically played a crucial role in "identifying" the other. When the Dalai Lama dies, the Panchen Lama, who is the second highest ranking spirtitual and political leader of the Tibetan people, takes over. The Panchen Lama remains in this leadership position only until the reincarnated Dalai Lama is identified (in the form of a newly born boy). The process of identifying the reincarnated Dalai Lama is too complex to go into here, but suffice to say that the Panchen Lama plays a critical role.

The converse is also true. When a Panchen Lama dies, the Dalai Lama will seek out his reincarntion. So in this way, the Dalai Lama and Panchen Lama are always many years apart in age. Therefore, when one reaches the end of his current lifespan, the other is young and ready to assume leadership. Ultimately, it is the Dalai Lama who is the supreme spiritual and political leader of the Tibetan people. But because several years can elapse between the Dalai Lama's death and rebirth, the Panchen Lama is needed to carry on the leadership role.

There is much controversy over the current Panchen Lama. The one identified by the Dalai Lama as the next in the lineage dissapeared over 10 years ago when he was a young boy. Many believe he was taken away by Chinese government authorities. The Chinese government, on the other hand, while not providing any answers as to his whereabouts, states that the "real" Panchen Lama is Qoigijabu Norbu, whom they have appointed. Naturally, this has sparked great debate among the Tibetan Buddhist community worldwide. For more than 50 years, the Chinese government has downplayed the Dalai Lama's role as a leader of any kind, spiritual or political. The government views him as a threat to the stability of the state. (Note - Tibet ceased to exist as an independant nation in 1959, when China invaded) As such, many believe that by removing the "identified" Panchen Lama and replacing him with another of their own choosing, the Chinese government will have put an end to this spiritual lineage forever. In that way, Chinese control and dominance over Tibet might be complete.

There are many complex reasons for what may motivate China in it's actions regarding Tibet. Those are topics for another discussion.

Posted By: Lisa - Buddhism Re: Tibetan - 05/26/09 06:11 PM
Phyllis, thanks so much for posting this, this is excellent, and thank your son too. I actually think this would be an interesting topic for an article, as many people are interested in the Dalai Lama and the succession issues, so I might do that soon. Now that I think of it, I had heard the stories about the current Panchen Lama actually being 'planted' by the Chinese government, and the concerns over what that would mean regarding the next Dalai Lama. Very concerning.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Tibetan - 05/26/09 06:14 PM
An article would be great, Lisa. Just please do not use my son's words without his written permission. I will let him know you send your thanks.

This is a very complex subject that is of much concern to many.
Posted By: Lisa - Buddhism Re: Tibetan - 05/26/09 06:21 PM
Phyllis, yes I wouldn't use your son's note, I was going to do some additional research on this and find some more sources. But I have a queu of ideas for articles right now, so it might take some time!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Tibetan - 05/26/09 06:38 PM
This would be a great article - let me know when you have written it. I would love to read it.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Tibetan - 05/28/09 07:59 AM
I am not sure about this, but I hope so.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Tibetan - 05/28/09 08:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Lisa - Buddhism
Phyllis, thanks so much for posting this, this is excellent, and thank your son too. I actually think this would be an interesting topic for an article, as many people are interested in the Dalai Lama and the succession issues, so I might do that soon. Now that I think of it, I had heard the stories about the current Panchen Lama actually being 'planted' by the Chinese government, and the concerns over what that would mean regarding the next Dalai Lama. Very concerning.

True.

Posted By: Lisa - Buddhism Re: Tibetan - 07/29/09 09:54 PM
Hi all, I've finally posted an article on this topic: Dalai Lama Succession Issues. I did a lot of research for this, so looking forward to any questions or comments you have....
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Tibetan - 07/30/09 06:46 PM
Great article, Lisa. I sent the link to my son and he is very impressed. He says it looks like you really did a thorough research on the issue. Thanks!
© BellaOnline Forums