BellaOnline
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Gordon Ramsay - 03/20/11 10:39 PM
The latest Scottish Culture article is about Scottish born chef and restaurenteur Gordon Ramsay who has made the transition from UK to US TV.

Gordon Ramsay

Have you seen him on TV, visited one of his restaurants or read/used one of his books?

If so, what do you think of him?
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 03/21/11 02:10 AM
I LOVE Gordon Ramsey! smile

He does have a nasty vocabulary and bad temper, but he slips up and lets his compassion show when he helps restaurateurs going through hard times. I like Kitchen Nightmares more than Hell's Kitchen or the F Word. He has restaurants in the US but I've yet to try them.

I often wonder about his wife and kids left at home for long periods of time but then again, most chefs work 24/7, too. It's a hard life.

I find the man fascinating.
I am a fan of his, too! There are times I think he could tone it down - but would it work? He is always intersting to watch, and someday I would love to sample his food.

When he goes to different people's restaurants and helps them turn their business around - that is my favorite side of Gordon Ramsay.
Posted By: Claybird Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 03/21/11 11:39 PM
I enjoy Kitchen Nightmares, although the sight of what goes on in some restaurant kitchens has made me even more reluctant than usual to eat out! Ramsay filmed a show in a failing restaurent in my town 2 years ago. Unfortunately the owners didn't follow his advice and the place finally went under. It's a tough business!
Hi Asha,

Very nice write up on Gordon Ramsey! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Eileen Brit TV Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 03/24/11 07:01 PM
Hi Asha,

I was watching Hell's Kitchen USA last night and found it almost (ahem) indigestible. How people can sit and eat in that atmosphere - whatever the food is like - when he is swearing and bullying the apprentice chefs in that threatening and objectionable way is beyond me. He called one of the girls a (something) [censored], he towers over them with a thinly veiled suggestion of violence - they must really want their own restaurant or to be on telly - or both! to put up with that. I think his food looks amazing, he is an effortless culinary genius - but his attitude is atrocious and is definitely not a good advertisment for Britain. He makes me feel embarrassed for him, and for my country.
Posted By: Eileen Brit TV Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 03/24/11 08:09 PM
By the way - hope this doesn't come across as too pompous! And by 'my country' I mean England as this is where he grew up - nurture over nature maybe in this case? But I honestly do watch it and think - what does the rest of the world think of British men? Hopefully that they're not all as aggressive and foul mouthed as this! Though I suppose he does a good job of destroying the 'Hugh Grant' school of English manners, eh?
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 03/24/11 10:35 PM
Eileen people seem to have very mixed reactions to Gordon Ramsay - a bit like Marmite (love it or hate it!). And no, I don't see what you've said as pompous, just your opinion which is probably shared by a lot of people. I do think that Ramsay's confrontational style may have helped his exposure in the US.
Hi Asha,
As an ex executive chef, I believe that Chef Ramsay's confrontational style on Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares is one great acting job on his part to attract advertisers/viewers. There is no way that this amazing entrepeneur treats his "real" staff in the restaurants that he owns that way or he bloody well would not be living to be seen on such unreal, contrived and got to be somewhat scripted "reality shows."

I am sure that he is one tough dude and as all great (and not so great) chefs are he could be defined with one word, ARROGANT but
he certainly is not a fool. That type of chef behavior cannot exist if you want to be "successful." See how gracious and charming he is in the segments where he is rewarding that days' winning team- do you thing he in real life is such a Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde?

As for the so-called chefs on Hell's Kitchen US, I believe that they are largely chosen for their "drama" ability and not for their culinary skills or even potential as I have not seen one of them that I would have ever have chosen to be an executive chef at $200,000 a year (I think?) at a quality restaurant (unlike the really qualified chef contestants on Top Chef).

There's no business like show business...
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 03/30/11 06:24 AM
Les I agree that Ramsay is far from a fool. He has built an impressive business empire. As to how much of his programmes are "real" and how much set up for the viewers - many of them are a form of reality TV, and one of the things reality TV seems to do well is create conflict and confrontation...
Posted By: Eileen Brit TV Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 03/30/11 07:07 AM
The man must be a good actor if it's a set up. He looks as if he is set for a coronary, and is so thoroughly aggressive and unpleasant you have to wonder why he would choose to appear like this. I believe he would do well either way as he is an acclaimed award winning chef, and I honestly wonder if as many people switch off as switch on when he starts ranting and being abusive.

Many of the contestants are fed lines, I am sure. When reality TV programmes (as it is spelt in the UK) transfer to the US - 'Wife Swap' for example, there is a transparent lack of truth, and the stories spin so fast you get dizzy. At the beginning of the prog there is a 'get out' clause which states that some scenes have been inserted for dramatic effect. The original series on Channel 4, UK began as something of a sociological experiment. Meanwhile Stateside it seems anything goes - as long as it is not actually true!

This is a shame because the artificial sensationalism obscures what was fairly revelatory and potentially sensational anyway, as changing your life - for however short a time - and being emotionally challenged (usually the wife is placed with a family with entirely different values from her own, placing a vegetarian with a butcher, for example, oh OK that example was also sensational, but you know the kind of thing), produced a pretty explosive situation as it was without spicing it up any further!

And talking of spices - I realize I've strayed off our Gordon
somewhat, but hey, that's show bizz!!! cry
Posted By: Linda19 Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 03/30/11 09:21 AM
Great article Asha, I had no idea he was from bonny Scotland, he must have lost his bonny when he moved to Shakespeare land.

We have a Gordon Ramsey cookbook,Ramsay's Best Menus, on the cover picture he has a lobster or a crab, can't remember, on his shoulder. The crustacean looks friendlier but I do love his recipe for mushroom risotto. I never watch his programmes because he irritates me. I would definitely not survive in his kitchen!
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/02/11 06:21 PM
Linda are you sure he is not bonny at times anyway?

You mention mushroom risotto (as a veggie who likes mushrooms and can tolerate rice if it is well flavoured this sounds good). Are there other recipes of his you have tried?
Posted By: Linda19 Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/02/11 07:44 PM
Asha, I am sure I was being a bit harsh on the man. I am sure he has his bonny moments!

I am not the one who cooks in our home (both my sons do the cooking), I just eat what I am given, but his Spring Garden soup was lovely too.

I looked through the cookbook for you, not many veggie recipes in this one!
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/04/11 05:28 PM
Thanks for looking in your book Linda. You are very lucky to have sons who do the cooking! How old are they? And do they enjoy it or is it just part of how you've divided up chores?
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/04/11 05:36 PM
Great article, Asha. I love Gordon Ramsay. He has a good balance of compassion and honest criticism. He does have a fiery temperament, but that shows he is very passionate about his own work and helping others to learn. I like all his shows and love to watch him. When he is gentle and compassionate, his inner beauty comes through.
Posted By: Linda19 Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/04/11 06:18 PM
My sons are now 30 and 24 years old, they have both been cooking since they were small boys. They both just love cooking, and as I don't that suits me fine. I always let them help when I was cooking and it just took over from there.

I grow the vegetables for the recipes. And I do the washing up!
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/04/11 06:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Eileen Brit TV

Whoops! Gordon ain't gonna like that! eek

Hope he does not come in here like a hurricane and yell at us! shocked
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/04/11 08:46 PM
Linda sounds great. So do they both still live at home? What vegetables do you grow? And I'm taking it you are the dishwasher rather than using a machine to do it all...
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/04/11 08:57 PM
Phyllis thank you. You have a wonderful turn of phrase - his inner beauty coming through is so true. Seeing compassion at the other side of anger - or is it passion - (caused by volatility, perfectionism, frustration, self flagellation, whatever...) can be beautiful to behold.

Yet I also recognise how often anger can be unremitting/unforgiving, and that people may experience a fine line between anger tempered by compassion and abuse. I would argue that with Ramsay this is not the case, because people on his shows know what they are getting themselves in to, but he does frequently practise a make or break philosophy.
Posted By: Linda19 Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/04/11 09:24 PM
No Asha, I live with my eldest son at the moment, my youngest is living with his father. I grow as many vegetables as I can cram into my little garden. I love my herbs, strawberries, tomatoes, everything. I have a Bramley apple tree too and Gordon does do a very good apple tart.

Yes, my hands do the dishes. I like washing up, it gives you room to digest your food while you stand at the sink thinking random thoughts and being thankful to have dishes to wash after a wonderful meal courtesy of Mr Ramsey and my son. You must try the mushroom risotto it is beautiful.
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/05/11 09:41 PM
Linda truly impressed by how you have got fully back on subject smile

I know what you mean about washing up. Where I live now a dishwasher sits unconnected on a counter top. Does your kitchen sink have a window in front of it? Mine has a wall, and I find this less useful for reflection than an interesting vista...

You mention Ramsay's apple tart. Thanks for the tip - I am developing an article on English apple recipes for the English Culture site.

I have just googled Gordon Ramsay's mushroom rissotto and found hits that include videos. Will look over them and see if I can try one out.
Posted By: Eileen Brit TV Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/05/11 10:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Phyllis-Folk/Myth
Originally Posted By: Eileen Brit TV

Whoops! Gordon ain't gonna like that! eek

Hope he does not come in here like a hurricane and yell at us! shocked

Ooh Phyllis, think you may be right!!! Best keep me mouth shut in future, as he won't take kindly to this moaning Sassenach viking

Oh OK - that's a Viking, but same part of the world laugh

Clearly I am more unforgiving than everyone else on here and I shall endeavour to be more understanding of poor, wee (Gay?) Gordon in future.

That's a reference to the Gay Gordons by the way, in case anyone wondered grin
Posted By: Eileen Brit TV Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/05/11 10:08 PM
Whoops - Sassenach is not just a derogatory term for an Englishman by a Scotsman - apparently it is also used by the Irish (ie Gaelic) against the English.

And as my ancestors were more likely to look like this - irish than to wear a bowler hat, perhaps I am no Sassenach after all!!

Phew smile
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/05/11 10:12 PM
Great link Eileen!

Have you ever danced the Gay Gordons?
Posted By: Eileen Brit TV Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/05/11 10:24 PM
Wow brilliant Asha!!

Yeeha! I enjoyed that. And it made me think -

1) Of how the Scottish ancestry of the USA may have contributed to American line dancing - the music and the style of dance

2) Why modern onlookers to this dance may misunderstand the meaning of Gay!!

They are all guys after all, skipping in a circle holding hands, and wearing skirts grin
Posted By: Linda19 Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/05/11 10:35 PM
LOL Eileen

and sorry but they are just such sissies in their little black shoes and sporans and knee high socks, but I love it! Thanks for posting the link Asha. I can see why it is called the Gay Gordons lol. Brilliant. The kilts are amazing all the different colours and plaids.

I wonder if Gordan Ramsey has a kilt made up in the Ramsey tartan?
Posted By: Eileen Brit TV Re: New Article - Gordon Ramsay - 04/05/11 10:44 PM
Ha ha - Gordon Ramsey REALLY needs to join them, then we could truly see his 'feminine' side.

And after all - it is HIS dance!!

And it might calm him down a bit laugh
© BellaOnline Forums