BellaOnline
Posted By: Angie Corn - 01/23/10 12:43 AM
I read an article today (I'll have to find it again) that states that the US is using 25% of their corn crop for fuel. That is awful.

Posted By: Cindy Re: Corn - 01/31/10 09:20 PM
Maybe not, Angie. Corn is high in starch, carbs and most of it is "Feed Grade"( Fed to livestock)This may be a sign that Americans are eating less meat. That could only be an improvement!
Posted By: Angie Re: Corn - 02/01/10 02:37 AM
Interesting point - often cattle is said to be grain or range fed. But to use food for fuel is never a good thing. I wonder how much corn we export today?
Posted By: Cindy Re: Corn - 02/03/10 01:08 AM
I'd rather see us export more soybeans or prehaps Quinoa- far more nutritious: In some third world countries meat is rarely consumed- corn is woefully inadequate for that purpose.
Posted By: Angie Re: Corn - 02/21/10 08:07 PM
What is Quinoa?

I still don't like the idea of using farmland to grow our fuel.
Posted By: Cindy Re: Corn - 02/22/10 02:49 AM
Quinoa is an ancient grain- has all the Amino acids, so its the perfect grain for food aid relief- cooked, it has the aroma of baked potato:Best of all, since it originated from South America,( Mexicans/Aztecs)it is a suitable grain for warmer climates.
I agree, on the US farmland issue, but we have very few affordable options right now, so until we can get ethanol from non-edible plants ( still being developed, 5 years approx)
Corn is the best alternative bio fuel.
© BellaOnline Forums