BellaOnline
What happens when you can't seem to get a song or specific phrase from a song out of your head? I read that listening to the song once was the cure but this doesn't work.

Lately it's Rhythm of Life by Sammy Davis Jr. from the musical Sweet Charity. Last month it was Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. I'm obsessed. I think I'm losing it crazy
Beyonce, All the Single Ladies - I'll sing that and my teenager son is like "Mom!! Thanks a lot!" HA HA!

I couldn't get a song from the movie, Chicago,out of my head the other day. The one Queen Latifah sings - If you're good to mama! It was so awesome though - I love that song. My cure: Listen to the whole CD. Then I got "Cell Block Tango" stuck in my head instead LOL!
Originally Posted By: ExerciseEditor
What happens when you can't seem to get a song or specific phrase from a song out of your head? I read that listening to the song once was the cure but this doesn't work.

Lately it's Rhythm of Life by Sammy Davis Jr. from the musical Sweet Charity. Last month it was Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. I'm obsessed. I think I'm losing it crazy
Some songs seem to go into repeat mode with no stop button, once they are ensconced in your brain.

The only way I know to get a song that is stuck in your head out, is to replace it with another song.

Of course, some catchy songs make you feel good, so it doesn't bother you to hear them ad infinitum. But some (like the ones that comes from commercials) can be torturous.

In case you ever WANT to torture someone thusly, there is a very effective one from the 50s you can sing, that will have your victim pleading for mercy. It has a chorus that goes ~
"It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater..." ;-)

Cheers!
I have a playlist of "songs you like to sing along to" - I'll put that on. After a song or two I'm merrily singing and completely forget about whatever the original one was smile
Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
I have a playlist of "songs you like to sing along to" - I'll put that on. After a song or two I'm merrily singing and completely forget about whatever the original one was smile

That is a smart solution!

Cheers!
I had that for a while. It was What Do You Want From Me by Adam Lambert. Each time I felt it coming right from my head, I blasted it vocally to my hubby.
At least it's not anything by Air Supply, which is what's been happening to me � ugh. Glad to know listening to the song isn't the cure!
Oliver Sacks has done some really interesting work on this subject.

Link below is to reviews of his book Musicophilia.

Musicophilia Reviews
Originally Posted By: Lynsaf
I had that for a while. It was What Do You Want From Me by Adam Lambert. Each time I felt it coming right from my head, I blasted it vocally to my hubby.

Lol! Did he answer you in song as well? Maybe something by umm... George Michael? Or Leon Redbone?

Cheers!
Originally Posted By: Asha - Scot./Eng. Culture
Oliver Sacks has done some really interesting work on this subject.

Link below is to reviews of his book Musicophilia.

Musicophilia Reviews

Thank you for the great tip, Asha! Looks like a fascinating book!

Cheers!
Yes! That happens to me so many times. But the time I get really irritated with this thing is when my mind replays the song which I absolutely hate..like I catch on to it when somebody else is singing it.
Songs replay in my head and apparently then I start humming the song because people have asked what song I was humming, I didn't even realize it...
For me listening to it almost always gets it out of my head if it is stuck there. It did suck when it happened before I got the internet (and then a connection that was not dial up because with that i could not go on youtube since none of the videos were working with this) when it was a song that was in an album that took a long time to come out, with Youtube you just go there and then listen to it as you want to smile.
When I moved iTunes to my new system I lost all my playlists. I guess I should have printed out the lists or something ... so now I have to start from scratch! Time to make another 'sing along songs' list ...
© BellaOnline Forums