BellaOnline
After witnessing Hurricane Katrina I have to wonder how many of us will now make sure we have a plan in place and ready to go in case a hurricane is heading our way. I have been in a few hurricanes myself living on the East Coast and have become complaciant because it has been awhile since we've had a hurricane but am now working on going through my hurricane supplies box and updating as needed. I hope everyone else that is in an area that receives hurricanes or could receive one takes the time to do this important step for them and thier familes. Hurricane season is not over yet and we should expect to see a few more storms. Everyone should be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws thier way.
Posted By: firefly Re: Are you prepared for a hurricane? - 09/30/05 05:12 AM
People do not realize how early they need to make a decision regarding a hurricane. Days in advance. The second the storm enters the Gulf of Mexico, we spring into action! (I am speaking for myself and friends in NW Fla). My friend, near New Orleans, told me he only had 35 minutes to get out. MY question in reply was WHY?? when we knew ahead of time it was going into the Gulf, and then in his direction. This is the list I sent him for future reference: 1) Fill your car and get gas for your generator. 2) If you will need to evacuate, make a hotel reservation; it can always be cancelled. If staying with friends, give them a heads up. 3)While you are doing this, make arrangements for pets. 4) The stores get extra hurricane supplies, do not wait til the last minute to buy flashlights, batteries, candles, matches, non-perishables, etc. This stuff goes fast. 5) Fill up the bathtubs with water for the toilets. 6) Have plenty of drinking water on hand. Get ice. It is a good idea to eat your perishables before the storm so you do not have to worry about keeping them on ice. If I were to evacuate elsewhere, I would not pick a spot on the coast; hurricanes are predictable and unpredictable. I live on the water and for Ivan, TS Arlene and Dennis I headed inland a few miles. For Katrina we stayed, wish we had not. We lost electricity for 2 1/2 days, inland a few miles did not. And watching the water crash over our raised sea wall and seeing my entire yard underwater was very upsetting. The next day we got out and headed inland, to the a/c and safety of being miles away from that water. I have moved.
© BellaOnline Forums