BellaOnline
Posted By: AJ troop leader Bridging Requirements-new? - 07/09/10 10:01 PM
I was looking around the GSUSA site and came across this: [url]http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_central/insignia/bridging_awards/brownie.asp[/url] It looks like the girls only need to do 2 activities and plan a ceremony to bridge. Is it just me or is Girl Scouts watering down everything. I am afraid to see what the new badge/try-it/etc. requirements will be once they come out next year.
Posted By: VintageGS Re: Bridging Requirements-new? - 07/12/10 01:45 PM
I had the same response when I found the new bridging requirements. What are they doing? The Journey series is a joke. The new requirements for the Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards are very weak and now this. I had a GSUSA staffer tell me the changes were brought about because the women they wanted to be troop leaders were too busy to plan and execute troop meetings. They needed to make it easier for these women. I was flabbergasted at her comments. Why would an organization want people that are too busy to do a quality program? I never thought I would see the day when I was glad my duaghters were getting close to being out of Girl Scouts. But it is happening.
Posted By: Elly Re: Bridging Requirements-new? - 09/15/10 01:22 PM
Yeah, I know---when they brought out Studio 2 B the girls in the troop my grown daughter was assisting called it Girl Scouts Lite. Now with the Journeys it looks like it will be even more so.

I would just have them do the same bridging activities they always have --- have an older girl or two visit them & show them "what we do in Jrs" or whatever---or visit an older troop, or do something with an older troop at a service unit event---get the book for the next level and do some of the badge requirements from a abdge or whatever---talk about plans for next year (trips suitable for girls a year older, etc) ---and of course have them plan their bridging ceremony---the sky is the limit on that.

If you have newer leaders who are baffled by what all that means, just tell them. "It's a Girl Scout tradition to do X Y Z -- you don't have to do them all, just choose a couple and go with what works for your troop"-- and if she does not know what that means, give her some ideas.
© BellaOnline Forums