BellaOnline
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy American Eclipse August 21st - 02/12/17 06:19 AM
The solar eclipse of August 21st will come in from the Pacific in Oregon, cross the United States and exit at South Caroline to the Atlantic. This map shows the eclipse path and is color-coded to show the likely cloud cover.

Quote:
Given the large fraction of Americans carrying camera-equipped smartphones, this American Eclipse may turn out to be the most photographed event in the history of the world.

Image Credit: Jay Anderson; Data: MODIS Satellite, NASA's GSFC
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 02/13/17 06:05 AM
Solar eclipses are fascinating and can make fabulous pictures against an interesting background. This is a wonderful composite of the total eclipse of March 2015 in the Faroe Islands. It was entered in the Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition.

Credit: Rebecca and Remy Hoehener
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 03/15/17 02:48 PM
Where is the best location to see the eclipse? EarthSky pick of 10 places along the path of totality. There's also some general advice and suggestions about preparing for the day.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 04/28/17 08:25 AM
In June the US Postal Service is releasing a stamp that changes when you touch it. The Solar Eclipse Forever stamp commemorating the August 21 eclipse, transforms into an image of the Moon from the heat of a finger.

You can read the whole story of the eclipse stamp here.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 05/19/17 07:23 PM
If you're interested in the 2017 total solar eclipse, take advantage of this offer now – or at least on or before Tuesday May 23. Brian Ventrudo and Manish Panjwani have produced an e-book guide called "How to See the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse: A Practical Guide for the First-Time Eclipse Watcher". It will sell on Amazon for $3.99, but you can download it free for the next few days.

Brian writes
Quote:
This concise guide helps casual skywatchers and even 'non-astronomers' understand when and where to see the eclipse, how to choose and use inexpensive solar eclipse glasses, solar filters, maps, and other basic tools, and it offers a few tips on how to snap a photograph of this memorable event.

You can download it onto a Kindle device – or a computer, tablet or smartphone with the Kindle Reader app. 

Here's the link to the 2017 eclipse guide on Amazon.

NOTE: I'm passing on to Bellaonline readers what I think is a good deal. I don't benefit from the sales of this book.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 05/24/17 04:57 AM
From Universe Today:

Quote:
On Monday, August 21, 2017, there’s going to be a total eclipse of the Sun, visible to path that goes right through the middle of the United States. You should be making plans to see this, and we’re here to help you know where to go and what to do.

Astronomy cast "Prepping for the Eclipse"
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 05/28/17 05:32 AM
NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) caught a solar eclipse on Thursday (May 25). It wasn't a total eclipse like the one some fortunate North Americans will see on August 21, but a partial eclipse which is what most people will see on the day. We see a solar eclipse when the Moon passes between us and the Sun and that's what the SDO observed. Here is a GIF that's reduced the 50-minute lunar transit of the Sun to a few seconds. It covered almost 90% of the Sun at its maximum.

Credits: NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center/SDO/Joy Ng, producer

SDO isn't positioned to see the total eclipse in August, but it will see a partial eclipse just after the total eclipse exits the USA.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 06/20/17 09:41 PM
If you're wondering, What's It Like to See a Total Solar Eclipse? Mr Eclipse himself - Fred Espenak - tells you in this article. I like the drawing of the partial eclipse on the ground leaves.
Quote:
The gaps between the leaves on a tree act like a series pinhole cameras that each project an image of the eclipse sun on the ground below. Image from Mabel Loomis Todd’s Total Eclipses of the Sun, 1894, via Fred Espenak.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 06/27/17 01:05 AM
If you hope to see the total eclipse and it won't be visible from your backyard, you need a plan. There will be a lot of other people doing the same thing. How much traffic on eclipse day? has some alarming statistics. But it also gives you useful suggestions for making your plan.
Posted By: Angie Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 06/27/17 08:15 AM
Is anyone calling this the 'end of the world' because of the eclipse?
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 06/27/17 09:59 AM
Yes, Angie, there's always someone. In this case, a group of fundamentalist Christians think this solar eclipse is the one that portends the end, the previous ones having not quite managed. They're apparently looking forward to it.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 07/03/17 12:40 PM
If you're hoping to see the eclipse, you need to protect your eyes. Did you know that even if only a tiny sliver of the Sun's disk is visible, you can do lasting damage to your eyes, though you probably won't be blinded.
Quote:
Even the tiniest sliver of a crescent sun peeking out from behind the moon emits enough light to scorch your eyes, Ralph Chou, professor emeritus at the School of Optometry & Vision Science at the University of Waterloo in Canada, told Space.com. "I have seen instances where the patient has eventually shown up with crescents burned into the back of the eye, and you can almost tell exactly when they looked."

Deborah Byrd of SeaSky warns Our supplier has told us this is the last batch we can get. Order your eclipse glasses now!
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 07/17/17 12:11 PM
Social media is great at spreading misconceptions. Dr. Marshall Shepherd of the University of Georgia explains about Four Emerging Misconceptions On Social Media About The Upcoming Great American Eclipse. Lots of useful information.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 07/25/17 01:31 PM
This article on the solar eclipse includes a super feature. You can put in your zip code and it will show what you will see during the eclipse - assuming weather is ok, of course.

And remember! if you're watching the partial eclipse, use proper eclipse glasses or something to project the eclipse. Don't look at the Sun without eye protection. You'd be surprised how much harmful radiation there is even if a small part of the Sun is not eclipsed.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 07/29/17 02:33 PM
Jamie Carter writing for Sky & Telescope says
Quote:
Think the total solar eclipse is "sold out"? Think again — and grab your camping gear. Private campsites and RV parks within the long path of totality are still available.

If you believe everything you read, you might think the August 21st total solar eclipse is already sold out. But of course it's not. Are you going to find a cheap motel within the path of totality? No. But anyone who says there's no space––or that gridlock is inevitable––is wrong.

Click for his article Still Making Eclipse Travel Plans? Camping Might be the Answer.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 07/31/17 12:37 AM
If you don't have your eclipse glasses yet, you're leaving it a bit late. I've just read a report about unscrupulous people providing substandard glasses: Solar-eclipse fever means counterfeit glasses are flooding Amazon’s market

The good news is that - so far - even those glasses that don't have approval aren't necessarily dangerous. The bad news is that the longer you put off getting them, the more likely you are to get something that isn't protective. So take care.

I'll say it again. Even a Sun that is mostly eclipsed emits enough radiation to damage your eyes.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/05/17 07:53 PM
Eclipse glasses - get them NOW!

EarthSky says:
Yes, we have eclipse glasses.
Allow one week for shipping in the U.S. Sorry, we can no longer guarantee delivery of international orders. Order today! EarthSky is on the approved list of reputable vendors of eclipse glasses, from the American Astronomical Society.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/08/17 03:07 PM
For the extra-keen, this shows all the eclipses that will be seen in North America in the 21st century. But you'll have to be quite young now and live to be quite old to see some of them!
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/09/17 04:50 PM
The first successful photograph of a solar eclipse, showing the Sun's corona, was made on July 28, 1851. It was a daguerrotype made by J. Berkowski at the Royal Observatory in Königsberg, Germany (now Kaliningrad, Russia).
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/10/17 06:08 AM
Even people on the path of totality, or who might get a nice partial eclipse, won't be immune to rain and cloudy skies. And then there's the rest of the world that aren't even close! Space.Com has put together a page with a selection of live webcasts. Worth a bookmark.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/11/17 04:45 PM
Here is something very cool from NASA. It simulates what the Sun will look like on August 21. "Eyes on the Eclipse" lets you explore different locations along the path of totality and where there will be a partial eclipse, or no eclipse.

You can download the app Eyes on the Skies with instructions.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/11/17 05:19 PM
If you're in California on August 21, you're not on the eclipse line of totality, but there will be some good partial eclipses. Get your eclipse glasses NOW - or be sure you know how to project the eclipse. (I saw a picture of someone using a colander to project multiple images, but I've never tried it myself!)

Here's what people may see in California.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/13/17 06:21 AM
I came across this article from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and liked its list of things to look for during a total eclipse. An eclipse is more interesting than just looking at a big black spot where the Sun should be. (That can actually be somewhat disturbing.)

What should you look for in a solar eclipse?
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/14/17 05:12 PM

While World War I was tearing Europe apart in 1915, a German physicist presented a theory that would shake up the way we see the Universe. The physicist was Albert Einstein, his face still unknown to the world, his name not yet a synonym for genius. How did a solar eclipse in 1919 change all that?

Einstein's Eclipse
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/15/17 06:26 AM
One of my kids is going to drive the family to a place where they can view the total eclipse. How lucky is that?! They live in the Chicago area ... smile
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/15/17 04:20 PM
Fantastic. I hope they get a good view. Seeing a solar eclipse is really an amazing experience.
Posted By: Angie Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/18/17 09:23 PM
Mona, didn't you provide for us a list of sites for following the eclipse? I thought I had it in my file but cannot seem to locate the email.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/19/17 04:55 AM
Angie, it was this link to the Space.Com list of live streams of the eclipse. I'll be trying out some of those myself.
Posted By: Angie Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/19/17 09:01 AM
Mona, thank you.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/22/17 12:31 PM
The last teensy bit of yesterday's eclipse made it across the Atlantic. Here is a particularly pretty photo taken by Paulo Pereira in Portugal.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/27/17 12:13 PM
This image of the August 21st solar eclipse shows sunspots and some other strange spots. It's a composite image made up of seven frames taken by photographer Joel Kowsky near Banner, Wyoming. It shows a partially eclipsed Sun being transited by the International Space Station (ISS).

Can't tell if the crew were waving. Onboard as part of Expedition 52 are: NASA astronauts Peggy Whitson, Jack Fischer, and Randy Bresnik; Russian cosmonauts Fyodor Yurchikhin and Sergey Ryazanskiy; and ESA (European Space Agency) astronaut Paolo Nespoli.

Photo Credit: NASA/Joel Kowsky
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 08/28/17 05:01 PM
It's another one! Simon Tang in Huron, California caught the ISS transiting a partially eclipsed Sun. The whole transit takes less than a second, but you don't want the space station to be blurred, so exposure time has to be less than 1/1000th of a second. Good job done here!
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 09/02/17 04:01 PM
People often think that it's only in a clear sky that you can get a good view of an eclipse. However you may see it all in a partly cloudy sky, and the clouds may make for atmospheric photos.

Here is a Diamond Ring in a Cloudy Sky taken by Ashley Marando in Central, South Carolina. The photographer has captured the moment of a diamond ring, with drifting clouds. Exquixite.
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 09/03/17 05:51 AM
Did you know that one day in the distant future - about 600 million years from now - there won't be any more total eclipses?

Total eclipses can happen now because the Sun is about 400 times wider than the Moon, BUT the Moon is about 400 times closer. So they appear to be about the same size in the Earth's sky.

However, like the Martian moon Deimos, the Moon is slowly moving away from us - about 4 cm (1.5 inches) a year. That is definitely slow. But eventually the Moon won't be able to hide the Sun completely. However there will still be annular eclipses. An annular eclipse is often called a "ring of fire".

Here is a spectacular annular eclipse photographed behind palm trees (January 1992) by noted astrophotographer Dennis L. Mammana.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 09/03/17 06:31 AM
Now, that is fascinating! smile
Posted By: Mona - Astronomy Re: American Eclipse August 21st - 10/08/17 07:44 AM
I keep thinking that this eclipse thread is complete, but then I find another great picture. Here is Fred Espenak's Eclipsosaurus Rex.
Quote:
The Moon was slightly closer and loomed a little larger 100 million years ago. So during the age of the dinosaurs there were more frequent total eclipses of the Sun. In front of the Tate Geological Museum at Casper College in Wyoming, this dinosaur statue posed with a modern total eclipse, though. An automated camera was placed under him to shoot his portrait during the Great American Eclipse of August 21.

Image Credit & Copyright: Fred Espenak (MrEclipse.com)
© BellaOnline Forums