BellaOnline
Thinking about the Apollo 11 anniversary today. If I could go to the Moon, there is one special thing I would like to do. I love looking at the Moon, but I think being on the Moon and looking up at Earth would be an even more beautiful sight.

If you could go to the Moon, what would you want to do?
Besides looking up at Earth, I think a picnic would be nice. cool

Looking for unique shaped moon rocks would be fun. Exploring the land would be very interesting. Are there caves on the moon? I love caves.
Actually, Phyllis, there are caves on the Moon according to the photos taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter.

Picnics! Yay! But don't see how to manage on the Moon with helmets.

Frolic naked!!
Is the astronomy forum about to become x-rated?! LOL

But, Sandy, I guess you could do that if you chose your time and place carefully and didn't expect to frolic for long. In the morning sun, you could get a balmy temperature, though sunscreen is recommended. Unfortunately, the fun would be abruptly halted by lack of oxygen within fifteen seconds. Bummer.

It is hard to believe Mona that it is 42 years that together with family and friends I sat in front of a black and white TV screen and watched �the moon landing�. Even though we knew it was real there were still some press stories claiming that it all took place on a Hollywood back lot, and at the time it was so �unimaginable� that it was really like something from a sci-fi movie.

What would I do if somehow magically finding myself sitting on the moon?

Just sit with my helmet on and look at the earth for as long as possible as the view was changing. Those pictures that have been published over the years are breathtaking, a wonderful sight.

While at the same time would be wondering what we are doing to it, both as far as the planets nature and own �life� is concerned and our way of �living� on it. There was a massacre of 70 mostly young people yesterday, Friday 22nd, in Norway, in the Horn of Africa millions are starving, while there are continually wars in the name of political thought, religion and heaven knows what else.

Think seeing earth from a distance would not only be a 'fantastic experience' in every sense of the phrase, but also one where one would look at the planet and ask �Why this, what have we done and what are we still doing?�

C'mon Sandy - design a Frolic Naked, a new cocktail for us to enjoy in salute to all who put mankind there.

I have a live recording made by my husband on a little cassette packed away somewhere, taken from the radio live roadcast, should have listened to it again though with youtube and internet I am sure a cursory search will get all the realism one wants.

What would you put in your Naked Frolic cocktail?

I'd need to experiment a bit but guess to start I would go with Absinthe and three drops of raw honey slushed/shaken with granita ice, served in a martini style glass with short straws and a mint leaf.

Cheers now

Francine, it's interesting that you think of what the Earth means, because astronauts - who've had the experience of seeing the Earth from the outside - have reacted in just that way.

Michael Collins (Apollo 11), as he thought of looking at the Earth, said, "My God, that little thing is so fragile out there." Scott Carpenter (Mercury 7) said, "This planet is a delicate flower and it must be cared for. It's lonely. It's small. And we are mistreating it. This is our home, and this is all we've got."

The great and pioneering Russian cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov said, "The Earth was small, light blue, and so touchingly alone, our home that must be defended like a holy relic."

There are many similar responses from those who have been in space and I think for the 24 Apollo astronauts who left "Earth's gravity and circled the Moon, this seems to sum it up:
"We came all this way to explore the moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the earth." (William Anders, Apollo 8)
� William Anders
Apollo
I'm really taken with Lestie's idea of having a cocktail. I wonder where a person could find a cocktain editor. ;]

But I'm thinking not of a martini glass, as those are conical, more like those rounded shallow glasses people - for some reason - used to drink champagne out of. Because the roundness would echo that of the Moon. At first, wasn't sure about the mint, but that would be a connection with the Earth. But how about a slice of orange (or lemon, depending on the taste wanted) for the Sun?

Crushed or slushy ice? And I guess the absinthe would make it milky? I'm guessing here as I've never tried it. A friend said pernod and orange was a good combination.

Still waiting for some recipes......

OK, ladies, my frolic is over, I've found some clothes AND some sunscreen, and I've even remembered to turn on the 'watch list' option for this forum so I can keep up. Seems I've got some earthbound work to do here.

I love the idea of a moon-inspired cocktail! Give me a day or two to play around with the ideas you've submitted - Mona, love the idea of round glasses! - and I'll have something lunar to sip soon!

Thanks for those heavenly suggestions, everybody!!

OK, y'all, get ready for blast-off!

I don't have lunar cocktail recipes ready for publication yet but there's no way I could pass up this opportunity so timely it seems out of this world!

I just called my friend, Billie. Her sister is in town on a visit - her sister the ASTRONAUT!! I asked her to ask Astro-sis what she'd drink if she were having cocktails on the moon. Billie said it was not even worth asking. Sis loves frozen margaritas! I'm told she's especially fond of frozen margaritas the way Billie's husband makes them. Sure hope they're enjoying some tonight.

Guess I'll pop out the ol' blender and howl at the moon for a while, looking for celestial inspiration way up there in the wild, blue yonder.

I am so gonna miss the space program as I've grown up with it. Such a pity it's over frown

Speaking of howling at the moon... I LOVE the idea of a trip to the moon with cocktails and cattle dogs! I would totally be playing fetch with my 2 dogs -- it would be perfect! They both approve of wearing backpacks and such, so I'd have no problem getting them into their little space suits. They have so much energy that the lack of gravity and the distance you could throw a tennis ball would keep them occupied.... long enough for me to finish my cocktail! It's a win-win situation.

Of course, there would have to be some sort of magnet or velcro attached to puppy noses and to the balls so they could bring it back without taking their helmets off.

Since space is, after all, the final frontier, what about a moon cocktail with rum? Rum, pirates, the original explorers... I love Captain & 7up, but looking for another twist to put on it... your turn, Sandy!
Except for aesthetics of absinthe/pernod, I can't see it myself. I don't much like licorice flavor.

But rum, yes indeed! You could be onto something there, Debra.

I'm more of a cat person than a dog one, but I'm loving this image of the dogs in their doggie space suits with velcro attachments chasing Moon balls.

Cocktails and cattle dogs on the moon? Love the idea! I've got an Australian shepherd / Sheltie mix who'd love it up there. But this space suit stuff is all too down to earth to me. My moon trip comes with air I can breathe (so I can frolic naked, ya know?) and just enough gravity to bounce along without getting lost in orbit!

And thanks so much for the suggestion of rum in a moon cocktail - it's the signature drink of exploration and discovery. Y'all are sure giving me lots of great ideas. I better get to work!

Not a fan of licorice flavor? You're not alone. I love it and use lots of fennel seeds when I cook Italian stuff but one of my good friends hates it. We were neighbors for years when I was working as a cook and caterer. I'd ask her over for dinner and she'd always accept the invite as long as I didn't use anything with fennel or anise in it. There were times I'd try to sneak it in on her but she found it every time and she was not at all happy about it. Finally, I learned to leave it out if I wanted her company. And that was an easy choice since I prefer her company to food anyway smile

Hey people,

If the cocktail name is to be A NAKED FROLIC please, then see through, transparent and clear is probably better than a milky absinthe etc based cliche-milky-moon look not so? And tonic water or soda water as is, over crushed ice would look just as good as a non-alcoholic version. Perhaps we can call this A BARELY NAKED FROLIC?

Ok, so then Tequila would not be such a bad base as suggested and so it follows that gin, vodka, cain spirit, white rum etc would also work. A cherry might be all the colour you need! Neat over crushed ice. Not changing my mind ... just offering a logical alternative. Now what would Spock have suggested?

Hope you are smiling!

Cheers

What would Spock have suggested? Hope I'm smiling? No! I'm howling with laughter!

Y'all are so much fun!

I'm devoting my Sunday to recipes for the moon. Keep those suggestions coming - y'all are brilliant!!

Well there won�t be another 'Blue Moon' until August 2012, but that means there is lots of time to practice making a Blue Moon Cocktail as an ideal if somewhat powerful drink to celebrate, or for all this �on the moon�, naked or otherwise, partying that is going to take place.

Which ever of the two happen first.

It was invented long ago but in Germany the mixture of Vodka, Blue Curacao, Cointreau, orange juice, vanilla syrup, whipping cream and ice is very popular. Sooo delicious, however it gives new meaning to the phrase �calorie bomb�, not that that would be a problem because after all we would be weightless on the moon.

For two helmeted party guests mix 1 cup crushed ice, 1/4 cup Vodka, 1/4 cup Blue Curacao, 1 cup whipping cream, 2 tablespoons vanilla syrup, 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice, 1 tablespoon Cointreau (or another type of orange flavoured liqueur).

Whizz in the moon craft�s blender and, if defying the various air pressure problems with straws, helmets and liquid proves too difficult, it�s perhaps better also to drink it in the moon craft and just save the moon itself to use as the ultimate atmospheric dance floor, as well as a stage for contemplation and fascination.

Would bring our cats who seem to spend hours at night just staring at the moon, but as they behave very strangely indeed when it is full, and there will be space dogs around, who they will certainly fight to get to those �Moon Balls�, will just teach them how to use the telescope.

Wonderful suggestions. Tequila, yum. Not so sure about gin, but maybe.

But, Lestie, oh not the cherry. It simply doesn't do it for Moon images or frolicking in any state of dress or undress. And I'm sure Spock would agree that it is not logical. (BTW we'll just ignore how pathetic it is to be calling on the authority of someone who doesn't even exist just because I can't stand cocktail cherries.)
Hah! You think Spock doesn't exist? Aw gee boy - I meet him everyday in all sorts of people! But have to agree the cherry looks daft and would spoil it all. Guess I was after a focus point to distract observers from the frolicking maidens.

But since we are free spirited frolicking and possibly frothy-minded, maybe a Blue Curacao 'cherry' could do the trick? Whatever; I am going to try Francine's cocktail very soon. It's not the vodka that appeals ... it's the crushed ice tra la.

Oh Moon Maidens Madams and *Mense, I will be smiling all the way to the next full Moon for sure.

Cheers now

* Mense (say mensa) Afrikaans plural for people in general men and women and childrens and all and all.
Originally Posted By: Sandy / Cocktails Editor

Frolic naked!!

Good Grief, Sandy! Why did I not think of that. Wait for me guys before you blast off in that special ship.

I am so looking forward to seeing Spock. Guess I had better at least put on a cloak -- I would not want to pass out after that cocktail without having something to cover me.
Originally Posted By: Debra -- Dogs Editor
Speaking of howling at the moon... I LOVE the idea of a trip to the moon with cocktails and cattle dogs! I would totally be playing fetch with my 2 dogs -- it would be perfect! They both approve of wearing backpacks and such, so I'd have no problem getting them into their little space suits. They have so much energy that the lack of gravity and the distance you could throw a tennis ball would keep them occupied.... long enough for me to finish my cocktail! It's a win-win situation.

Of course, there would have to be some sort of magnet or velcro attached to puppy noses and to the balls so they could bring it back without taking their helmets off.

Since space is, after all, the final frontier, what about a moon cocktail with rum? Rum, pirates, the original explorers... I love Captain & 7up, but looking for another twist to put on it... your turn, Sandy!

We have to wear astro suits and helments? What about my cloak? I can so imagine myself jumping in slow motion from one spot to another in my long flowing cloak -- holding my cocktail in one hand and my bag for rock collecting in the other. smirk

Oh Phyllis, What a fabulous picture you have just drawn to start the day........it is already morning over here.

Now I will probably never be able to read your 'Folklore and Mythology' articles again without thinking of you leaping over the moon's surface, cloak flying and cocktail in hand. laugh

You are such a delightful joy, Francine. What a picture I have created in the imagination for you. laugh

I am just ready to crawl into bed for the night. Maybe I will have sweet dreams of all of us doing our own thing on the moon. Tonight, the Faerie Moon is in it's phase. I am making some Faerie Moon Water. You can read all about that in Ian's Pagan forum.

If we can pretend we are going to the moon, I do not see why I cannot pretend to not have to have an astro suit and helmet. smile So, I think my long flowing cloak is going to work out just fine. cool

Have a lovely day.

Oh, geez, if it ever were possible to party on the moon, I want each and every one of you there! The getting there would surely be as much fun as the frolic!

Francine - thanks so much for supplying that recipe. After reading your version of a cocktail recipe, mine all seem as much fun as a drawer at the morgue. You have certainly set the standard for readability much higher than any I've ever seen. Thank you so much for that delightful description laugh

I think Phyllis's cloak sounds splendid. As we're imagining it all, I'm going to imagine I have one as well. Mine is blue, which is my favorite color. And I think a parasol as well, which means with the other hand holding the cocktail, does someone have a dog that would pull a little cart to put my moon rocks in?

Francine's cocktail (which might match my cloak) sounds heavenly, though I think I've gained a kilo just reading the recipe.

Should there be a nonalcoholic cocktail too? I wouldn't want to leave anyone out of the party because they don't or can't drink.

And will we need a designated pilot?
Mona, my cloak is deep purple with light blue trimming and a hood.

On the moon we should weigh less, so the cocktail will not hurt, I think. However, we do need a designated pilot -- you are right about that.

Too bad Beetle is not here. He once maneuvered a blimp through the Grand Canyon and kept us quite safe (this was on another imaginary trip). Beetle is gone for the week. Hmmmm...maybe he would not be too enthused about piloting a bunch of women who want to party and frolic in cloaks (or not) on the moon. blush

You need a cart for your rocks? I was just going to gather a few small ones. Maybe I should get a cart, too, and a St. Bernard to pull it. Then Bernard can also carry an extra cocktail for me. laugh Yes! That is another thing Beetle is good at -- shaking up a good cocktail.
I didn't have in mind a really big cart for the rocks, just something so I'd have one hand for my parasol and one for my cocktail. I could, I suppose, since they'd only be small rocks, imagine an appropriate pocket in my cloak. On the other hand, Phyllis, I like your idea of using the cart for extra cocktails.

OMG! Y'all are so much fun! Can we leave today???

If we were on the moon tonight and tomorrow night, we could watch the Perseids as we sip those cocktails while bundled up in our cloaks. grin

Mona, did you ask Beetlemess to pilot the ship?

My lunar mission today is to get those cocktail recipes published in time for blast-off. I'm going to provide a link to this forum thread, too, so everyone can enjoy this delightful conversation and Francine's wonderful Blue Moon Cocktail recipe.

Did anyone see the Perseids last night? I understand they were at their peak.

Who's thirsty?

UFO, Interplanetary Punch, and Stratosphere Cocktail Recipes

Cheers, my celestial friends!

Phyllis, having seen Sandy's wonderful cocktails - and Francine's Blue Moon, I think the best solution to the piloting is to have an intelligent robot pilot. Then no one needs to be asked to forego the fun!

Can we make him a very handsome intelligent robot pilot??

Sandy, if we can frolic on the Moon with cloaks instead of space suits, drink cocktails, let the dogs play and get there with an intelligent robot piloting, making the robot handsome would be a minor task!

Thank you, Mona! Your post got my day started with a good, honest belly laugh. Who knew the voice of reason could be so amusing. What a fabulous Friday this one's going to be. Thank you!

I am so ready to frolic on the moon again. Where did everyone go?
Is Sandy still naked or did someone give her a cloak?
Originally Posted By: Mona - Astronomy
Phyllis, having seen Sandy's wonderful cocktails - and Francine's Blue Moon, I think the best solution to the piloting is to have an intelligent robot pilot. Then no one needs to be asked to forego the fun!

I nevva thought 'bout that! Can we paste a pic of Sean Connery on its face?
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? - 12/13/11 04:20 PM
Eat cheese smile
with crackers. Hope I don't get crumbs floating around.
If I were on the moon, I would stargaze. No atmosphere to dim things.
I would see how far and how high I could jump. Then, I'd make moon dust angels. Oh, and then I would lie on my back and gaze into the cosmos to see what I could see. And marvel at the wonder of it all.
Hmm. Well, let's see. Phyllis, I don't know about everybody else, but I've no objection to the robot looking like Sean Connery. Cheese & crackers sounds good. The crumbs wouldn't float around on the Moon, just take a while to settle in the low gravity. It's not like being in microgravity in a spacecraft.

But yes, Jim, the stargazing would be fabulous - no atmosphere, no light pollution. If we're in the right place I might even be able to see the Andromeda Galaxy. I know it's a naked eye object, but I can't see it even in a fairly good site.

Lori, beautiful ideas. Moon dust angels. If no people disturbed them, they would last for centuries (or longer) since there's no weather on the Moon. Meteorites impacts cause some surface erosion and there is a teeny bit from the solar wind, but that's about it.

Well, first of all I'd have to be on the moon during a blue moon, to set the proper atmosphere.

I'd have some sort of delightful beverage to sip on, like a Blue Hawaii or Cosmo, and munchies to nibble on.

I'd sit on a purple chaize lounge, suspended above the moon's surface, in a total state of relaxation. I'd whisper something into the ear of the man on the moon, and he'd giggle in return.

And then, the rest of the time would be spent in pure contemplation of the glory of the Universe.

Shooting stars would spray me with their tails and comets would speed by in the blink of an eye. A wish or two would be made.

I'd see a thousand galaxies, a million stars and planets still unknown to man and realize.....heck, I could get used to this.

Pure peace, away from it all.

What a delightful trip that would be. smile

I would like to fly like they did in the cave in the Robert Heinlein short story.
I would build an observatory on the far side of the moon so I could see deeper into space than anyone has seen before.
© BellaOnline Forums