BellaOnline
Take the poll and see the results!
Posted By: Jim Colyer Re: Poll - How well do you speak Spanish? - 07/26/12 02:10 PM
I cannot speak Spanish at all and find the language annoying. I was in La Paz, and over a million people around me were speaking Spanish. I endured it.
LOL, Jim!

Actually, you were probably surrounded by more than 2 million Spanish speakers as well as tens of thousands of Quechua and Aymara speakers!

Glad you endured . . . when in Rome . . .

Saludos!
carleen
After living 3 years in Mexico I hope mine is still pretty good! smile
Hola!

I just started my Linguaphone Spanish course. I think the language sounds beautiful. Can't imagine ever being able to speak it fast, though.
Hola, Grace!

Best of luck with your lessons. My husband has worked with Rosetta stone and found it helpful. I'll be interested to know how your progress goes with Linguaphone. Keep us posted!
Hi Ian!
Where in Mexico did you live? I've always dreamed of living in Mexico City -- smog, crime, and crazy driving and all!

Saludos,
carleen
Posted By: Angie Re: Poll - How well do you speak Spanish? - 07/26/12 06:03 PM
Angeles can help you too on the Spanish forum.
Thanks for that tip, Angie!

Here's the link:

http://www.bellaonline.com/site/spanishlanguage
As you can see from my 'Bio' I lived in Mexico DF from 1976-1979. Great times smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Poll - How well do you speak Spanish? - 07/27/12 11:58 PM
I am somewhere between conversant and cervesa ordering. When i am in Mexico, it gets much better pretty quickly. It helps that the people are so tolerant and easy going about my gaffes.
Hola Carleen,

Even after living for more than 5 years in the heartland of Mexico, after three years of high school Spanish and one year in college, the most Spanish that I offer up most days is "no puedo hablar Espanol," Por Que? "Soy muy muy perezoso."- (y/o arrogante Norte Americano o timido)

Although I am pretty good Spanish-wise with cognates and most anything to do with time, money, transportation, food, lodging, piedras,er, I mean rocks and mascotas (all of the survival stuff in my mundo).

Perhaps (ok, definitivamente!) the one Spanish phrase that I use in linguistically challenged social situations the most is "Maria, por favor, ayudame, ayudame, ayudame..."

Really liked your question and all of the responses that you have gotten.

Saludos,
Senor "None of the Above"
Hi Les,
I think you are being too modest! Anyone that can throw out words like "mascota" and "menudo" (not the soup) is conversant in my book!

Cheers!
carleen
Carleen, like Les, I had three years in high school. Millions of people have been born and millions have died since those happy anos. I kind of/sort of still know a bit. When I taught at a Catholic school where the students were from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries, I got better at speaking rapidomente. This was especially true when working with my students who did not speak English.

That was 16 years ago. My Spanish comes and goes at the oddest times!

Hi Connie!

IMHO, Spanish is an "easy" language. Maybe it is that English grammar comes from the Latin and we have a lot of Latin in our vocab. I studied German for one year . . .it was so difficult!!! I can still order ein bier, bitte!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Poll - How well do you speak Spanish? - 07/29/12 10:45 PM
I have heard English has a lot of Germanic roots as well?
Yes, it is true. But for some reason, I couldn't make heads nor tails of German!
© BellaOnline Forums