BellaOnline
Posted By: Modern Woman Heartburn and food - 02/13/07 10:40 AM
I know some people who get no heart burn despite whatever they eat. why?
Posted By: Connidee Re: Heartburn and food - 03/19/07 10:50 AM
I know a few of those people....I'm not one of them. I've found a wonderful and kind of unique remedy. It's actually a folk remedy and it really works. It sounds strange, but I swear by it. I'm plagued with heartburn. Maybe I won't have it for days, but when it hits, it hits HARD for days on end. I use organic apple cider vinegar (with the 'mother'....it has to have the 'mother' in it. Thats the sediment you see at the bottom of the bottle), honey and water tea. The dosage that works for me is to use at least a 10oz mug of water, 2 Tbs of apple cider vinegar and 2 Tbs honey. Heat it in the microwave and then sip it till gone. Individual tastes vary, so you can adjust the vinegar. It's best to try and consume at least 2 Tbs of vinegar a day in one way or another. Your heartburn will go away.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Heartburn and food - 03/19/07 11:57 AM
That sounds good.
Posted By: migal Re: Heartburn and food - 04/02/07 05:34 PM
Persistent heartburn is the most common (but not the only) symptom of GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease). The main cause of reflux is abnormal function of the esophageal sphincter, a muscle located at the bottom of the esophagus where the esophagus joins the stomach. Some factors like certain foods or eating habits may aggravate the reflux, causing heartburn, but they are not the primary causes of GERD.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Heartburn and food - 04/03/07 04:14 AM
Yes.
Posted By: NYDAz Re: Heartburn and food - 05/28/07 10:10 AM
Originally Posted By: migal
Persistent heartburn is the most common (but not the only) symptom of GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease). The main cause of reflux is abnormal function of the esophageal sphincter, a muscle located at the bottom of the esophagus where the esophagus joins the stomach. Some factors like certain foods or eating habits may aggravate the reflux, causing heartburn, but they are not the primary causes of GERD.

Love your definition smile
Posted By: Tef Re: Heartburn and food - 06/09/07 02:20 AM
I would add that sometimes it's just genes. Sometimes it has to do with being overweight; it's also not uncommon during pregnancy. It can also be indicative of gall bladder disease, gastritis, or peptic/duodenal ulcers.

If you ask a gastroenterologist, they'll tell you basically that they really don't know why some people get heartburn and some don't!
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Heartburn and food - 06/21/07 03:09 PM
You are right about that Tef.
Posted By: KLW Re: Heartburn and food - 02/17/08 02:32 PM
I am having a problem and I dont know what it might be from. I have been having nausea in the morning only when i wake up. I cant even take my pills, walk, or eat anything until it goes away. I have been diagnosed with GERD. I now started my Heartburn Medication at night to see what it does but there are some changes not much. Could this be a sign of GERD not under control?
Posted By: joanj Re: Heartburn and food - 02/17/08 02:40 PM
You should try a cup of ginger tea at night and again on rising in the morning. Buy real ginger root in the grocery store, peel it and slice it up. Add to boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain off the ginger pieces and drink a cup in the am and a cup in the pm.

It will keep nicely in the frig too. If it's too strong once you've made it, you can dilute it with a little more water.

This works great.
Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf Re: Heartburn and food - 02/21/08 01:40 PM
This is a good tip, Connidee. I'm so glad that you have found a remedy that works for you! But I would like to add an important note about ACV (apple cider vinegar.) For some people taking a tablespoon or two each day in warm water has a wonderful healing effect on heartburn. For others, it can cause a horrific flare-up. If you haven't tried the ACV, please start with a small amount. If it has a positive effect, try slowly increasing the amount. If it burns, try a different home remedy.

Also beware that tooth enamel erosion has been linked to long term ACV use, so to be on the safe side you can follow-up by rinsing your mouth out with baking soda and water to nuetralize the acid in your mouth. Good luck!

I will soon be adding an article on home remedies to my site. Please visit and get some great tips!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Heartburn and food - 02/26/08 03:57 AM
I have heartburn on and off. The other night I had it, and suddenly craved milk. I'm not a big milk drinker, but I got myself a little glass and was surprised that it totally made my heartburn go away?

Hmmmmm.
Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf Re: Heartburn and food - 02/26/08 01:01 PM
Hi Deanna,

Like ACV, milk can have a soothing effect, or the opposite, depending on the person.

Small amounts of milk can act as an antacid, nuetralizing stomach acid. My motto is "always trust your gut," and yours told you that milk would do the trick for you. Good for you for listening! smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Heartburn and food - 02/26/08 01:20 PM
Deanna -

The reason Bailey's Irish Cream was developed is that people in England would mix milk and whiskey to soothe their stomach, the combination would coat the tummy and make it feel better. Bailey's found a way to get that combination to "stay mixed" which is their secret. Usually it would separate out when you store it. So if I get a stomach ache I'll have some Bailey's and it really does feel better.
Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf Re: Heartburn and food - 02/26/08 04:13 PM
Thank you Lisa, that would make perfect sense! Since alcohol can relax the LES the perfect way to counter it would be with the soothing affects of the cream. So if you already have a tummy ache, your Bailey's is "killing two birds with one stone."

(For me, I like a good White Russian! smile )
Posted By: migal Re: Heartburn and food - 04/16/08 06:24 PM
Heartburn is very annoying. I noted that I can get it after a large meal.
© BellaOnline Forums