BellaOnline
Posted By: Megan M Where else but Queensland..... - 02/17/08 06:29 AM
can you have the same areas drought declared and flooded at the same time??

Yes, Queensland in Australia has done it again. For the first time in many years, we've had a proper monsoon trough causing a "wet" season (basically, it's been raining non stop since about christmas day) and since January from central to north Queensland has been severe flooding.

Emerald was the first hit - and soon thereafter 75% of the state was declared flooded. Most of this was the same 75% declared drought bound as well.....

The latest hit is the city of Mackay (near the Whitsunday Islands). this is especially close to me, as it's where my mother and brother live. My brother's home had ankle deep water through it on Friday (the kitty was most disgusted), but fortunately mum's place was OK (she lives in one of the only hilly areas in Mackay).

Airlie Beach and Proserpine are cut off both NOrth and South, and are having supplies air-dropped to them.

I'm currently working in the Queensland Department of Emergency Services, so it's been interesting for me watching them swing into action - and I have even more admiration for the peopel in these services.

Not only are the SES (State Emergency Services) volunteers, but in the case of a major disaster, the extra people who man phones for help are staff volunteers - mostly working without extra pay.

Mackay has been declared a disaster area, and people are starting the cleanup - but it's heartbreaking that so many people and businesses have lost everything. One local electronics store lost over $3million in stock - their entire stock.

For pictures, you can visit: Flooded Mackay and More Mackay Floods and Queensland in Flood

Any prayers for those who have lost everything would be appreciated.
Oh, that's heartbreaking! I was just in Mackay last year, too, and it's become one of my new favorite places to recommend for a visit, especially for the Reeforest Platypus sighting tours!

My thoughts and prayers are definitely with everyone in the flooded areas of Queensland right now!
© BellaOnline Forums