BellaOnline
Posted By: anna*AHHA* KASHA, STAPLE OF THE RUSSIAN DIET - 10/10/11 01:21 PM
Kasha is made from buckwheat groats. It's full of vitamins and fiber and can be eaten any time of day from breakfast to dinner.

Russian peasants lived on a diet of shchi or cabbage soup and kasha, along with hearty black bread. There is a saying �shchi da kasha pischa nasha� which translated means �shchi and kasha, are our food.� Russian peasants were a strong breed, and I imagine that kasha will nourish you too.

Buckwheat hulls are not wasted...guess what they're used for!

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29135.asp
Hi Anna,

Your article sure brought back good memories of my growing up in Brookline, Mass- a suburb bordering Boston which had a population of more than 50% Jews out of a total population exceeding 50,000.

We used to eat kasha quite often either made by my grandmother a Polish/Russian Jew who had been a head cook at a Jewish caterer or by my mother. They frequently prepared "kasha varnishkes, made with onion , carrots, and bow tie noodles. This was frequently served as an accompaniment to pot roast and was topped with a very rich gravy. Also, they would make three kinds of knishes- potato, meat, and kasha which was my favorite.

As I kid, I was always asking them to make "mushy kushy."
Posted By: anna*AHHA* Re: KASHA, STAPLE OF THE RUSSIAN DIET - 10/12/11 12:47 PM
Hi Les,

I'm glad that the article brought back good memories!

The kasha knish sounds yummy as does the mushy kushy.

Do you have a recipe for the kasha knish?

My Aunt Claudia is the one who introduced me to kasha -- she always had some made when I visited her house.

To this day, my brother in law always pokes fun at "kasha" and he was even considering naming his dog Kasha: he settled on Tasha instead.

Peace.
Hi Anna,

Unfortunately, and I do regret it now, I do not have the recipe for my bubbie's or mother's recipe for their knishes (in addition to their fillings, the dough for the knishes was wicked good!). I also wish that I had the recipe for their outstanding cheese blintzes, luction noodle pudding, potato pancakes, and salmon patties.

When my wife, Maria, goes to the U.S. in November/December, I am going to ask her to bring back some Wolff brand Kasha and I will make some mushy kushy but perhaps instead of topping it with a brown gravy I will use salsa verde and make a burrito out of it.
Fusion Kasha! Why not?

Posted By: anna*AHHA* Re: KASHA, STAPLE OF THE RUSSIAN DIET - 10/15/11 03:04 PM
Hi Les,

It's a shame you don't have the recipe for the kasha knish -- I'll have to check ALL RECIPES.

The kasha with a twist sounds yummy, too. How about some guacamole on top?

And salmon patties are quick and easy to make -- even with canned salmon. Just add some egg, breadcrumbs, S + P, mix and form patties. Fry them up in a bit of EVOO.

© BellaOnline Forums