BellaOnline
Posted By: mommamac Crabby crabgrass - 09/04/02 02:37 AM
I'm not a crabby person, but I certainly have my fair share of crabgrass in the backyard. I heard on a television, gardening show, to put crabicide on before the temps reached above 60 degrees. I did that, and was so proud of myself for remembering. As soon as Spring hit, there was the crabgrass again, growing faster and even more productively. You would of thought I gave it fertilizer. LOL
Any suggestions on what I should do? Thank you!
Maya
Posted By: blue Re: Crabby crabgrass - 09/23/02 01:50 AM
I'm afraid to tell you the answer! You'll have to dig out every tiny piece of root in the top foot of soil or more! Our lawn maintenance people keep spraying "crab grass killer" at our townehouse complex. It does no good. This summer, the only grass that managed to stay green was the crab grass.

Talk to some local lawn maintenance people and see if they have come up with any solutions.
Posted By: Kate Ruth Re: Crabby crabgrass - 09/23/02 01:55 AM
We use a chemical (I know, I know) on our crabgrass and nutsedge. Once we apply it, usually twice and the blades begin to turn, we then go out and dig each weed plant up. With nutsedge, we must make CERTAIN to get the "ball" or "nut" buried in the ground or it will return and fast!!!

Nutsedge is particularly bad in concrete and asphalt....tearing it up. Not a fun fight...hoping the cool weather arrives soon! LOL
© BellaOnline Forums