BellaOnline
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Iranian Ninjas - 02/19/12 09:53 PM
It's been fascinating following the development of the "Iranian Ninja" story over the last few days. As someone who has trained in the art since 1985, and trained in Japan, the US, various parts of the UK, and at my home Shinobi Kai Dojo in Portsmouth UK I was expecting some over-reaction to the fact that a/ the people training in the art are Iranian, and b/ The mythos that surrounds Ninpo (AKA Ninjutsu). This is the orginal article I came across a few days ago , complete with the sound. No wonder the clip was short, no sound, and subtitled - the original just shows a slightly more acrobatic version of the usual training carried out worldwide by the Bujinkan and Gebukan.

Ninpo is a very deep, but very 'hippy' art. I've been trying to do an article on it for the Pagan page for a while, but it's such a multifaceted style that it is hard to pare it down enough to fit into even 3 or 4 articles. The attunement to nature, magickal techniques, and psychological techniques are much less well known than the combat side which is all most people think of thanks to the films and sensational articles in Martial Arts magazines. Hopefully the link will show that the media obviously had a slow news day, and decided to go for illusion over substance with a vague 'scare story'
Posted By: Caroline - Martial Arts Re: Iranian Ninjas - 02/20/12 03:50 PM
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the additional link. I had put a post up as well on this. It seems media is in love with this story.
Is a National Martial Arts Program Feasible?

Both good and bad for as you point out they are all focusing on the physical aspects. I may be in the minority but I'm less "scared" by this story as I am hoping other countries consider such programs. Not for the national defense aspect but all the other benefits that comes with programs like this. If these women are truly studying ninjutsu, it will be more than just self-defense they learn.

Did you publish your articles on Ninjutsu yet? That's one style I haven't covered yet but would love to include what you have over in the styles listing.
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: Iranian Ninjas - 02/24/12 08:11 AM
Thanks Caroline

When I do any articles on Ninjutsu I'll link them to your site and let you know. I have already done two on other styles, Aikido and how I used it in self defence. Also one one on Wing Chung

On the idea of a National Martial Arts Program I do see a few problems, not least the gap between most people' perception of Martial Arts and the reality. Also that "Martial Culture is not Jock Culture" as this article - and the comments - bring into focus.
Posted By: Caroline - Martial Arts Re: Iranian Ninjas - 03/31/12 05:49 PM
Wow. Did anyone else catch all of the controversy relating to the Iranian women ninja's? Tehran Yanks Media Credential from Reuters Staff Over Video

I think it's good for them to stand up and make Reuters correct themselves. Ninjutsu is more than being an assassin.
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: Iranian Ninjas - 04/01/12 10:42 AM
Well spotted Caroline! smile

I missed this, but it shows how widespread knowledge of the real meanings of Ninjutsu is. It may be a 'secret' art but so many people practice it, or know someone who does, that when it is misrepresented the person who does so gets corrected very quickly. In this case I think the Hombu Dojo in Japan probably put pressure on them too wink
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: Iranian Ninjas - 04/01/12 12:26 PM
OOh! It gets better!

Looks like Ninpo in Iran is going through the same thing as Paganism and Witchcraft did in the UK & USA in the '80s and '90s
Making a stand to be recognised for what it is rather than what people think it is.
© BellaOnline Forums