BellaOnline
Posted By: Sue - Blues and Jazz Ed. Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 07/24/08 10:38 PM
The debate is still on! Some folks swear by one or the other.
(And we won't even discuss MP3 etc.)

My own vinyl is long gone I'm afraid, although it does sadden me now that I got rid of it. (Not something to admit in many a jazz circle, I know, LOL ...)

What do YOU think?
Don't be shy, you can hear an echo in this forum ...
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 07/24/08 10:50 PM
You can still buy vinyl records at places like Goodwill stores or Salvation Army stores and I have seen them in pawn shops as well, not to mention second hand music stores (record and cd stores). They are also selling record players again in the same unit as cd players, tape players and a tuner/receiver so you can still play your vinyl if you have any or choose to get any.

Picking between the two is tough. I do miss the "scratchy" sounds of vinyl but the clearness of the music in cd's are great too. Vinyl records can get scratched and warped but cd's can get scratched as well.

In my heart of hearts though, I choose vinyl overall.

Some people feel cds sound *too* clean and a bit sterile.
They are a lot more portable though that is for sure!

Sounds like you are a true Music-dude in your heart though Vance, with that love of vinyl showin' through!
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 07/25/08 02:37 AM
I love music and I love it even more on vinyl. smile
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 07/25/08 02:46 AM
You know, I have heard people say the same thing about the cd but on the opposite side, people like cd's because they say that they can hear more instruments in the song or musical piece than they can on vinyl.
Posted By: Straycat Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 08/27/08 11:33 PM
There are still a lot of albums not available on cd yet. I always like to look at the cover art also.
Posted By: cptracks Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 10/27/08 10:52 PM
hey guys check out Grammy Award Winner Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band's new album titled 'Act Your Age.' Really high quality jazz compositions!

You can visit their website at:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: rainview Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 10/29/08 08:08 AM
I still like music cd's, may be because I am acquainted to them.
Posted By: msbaby Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 10/30/08 03:37 AM
I grew up listening to old 78s, lps and 45s and there is a warmness and sound quality there that CDs fail to capture. In comparison CDs sound too bright or sterile to my ears. I wish they didn't take up so much space. I not only hope to keep them and continue listening to them but confess to picking up more from time to time at the local consignment shop.
I must say we got rid of vinyl also quite some time ago... so I have only CDs:) but many times I was so angry at myself that I let my parents throw away the vinyl player (I am not sure it is called like this in English:) But who could have thought that I would miss it one day...? we had cassetes, CDs, MP3... but playing vinyl brings back so many memories...:)
Posted By: rdywenur Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 11/30/08 08:10 PM
I have 12 Elvis LP's Im looking to sell and then music from the 80's so most are Disco and a few others like Fleettwood Mac, Tusk, Chuck Mangione a few others.....hmmm maybe some still interesteed then if you are into vinyl. I think I am going to try my hand at Ebay. Maybe can borrrow my brothers recording device that changes vinyl to cd's (ION?)first.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 01/01/09 11:58 PM
I sold off all my albums a year or two ago. In fact at this point we have sold off most of our CDs too - we have everything in iTunes and that is the only way we listen to things. So in essence it is "CD quality" but we don't have those hundreds of CDs cluttering up the house any more. I am going for no clutter smile

In terms of quality, it comes down to practicality for me. If I had albums I would rarely listen to them. With everything on "instant play" with iTunes, I listen to tons of music - far more than I would ever listen to otherwise. So it's a trade-off I've made.
I totally hear you on the no clutter thing!
I have recently gone back to vinyl though all over again for certain albums and I can hear the difference. I do like the cover art as well. It's a trade-off whichever way, for sure.
Thanks for stopping by!
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 03/24/16 07:31 PM
I do miss vinyl but for me it is cd.
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Vinyl or CD? Take our poll! - 03/24/16 09:01 PM
Love Vinyl and I am so glad it is making a comeback.
© BellaOnline Forums