BellaOnline
Posted By: Roni Good or Bad memories from a scent... - 07/11/08 06:46 PM
I had a bad experience when I was dating. A young man (blind date actually)wearing "Canoe" tried to rape me...luckily that scent is not around anymore BUT just the smallest whiff would make my stomach lurch...the brain is most easily reached via the nostrils...
How horrible, Roni. I'm sorry that happened to you and hope your soul is healed from the past. Thank God that fragrance isn't around anymore.

My bad scent memory, actually it's an ongoing trigger - raw red meat. I don't eat red meat, but my husband eats steak and I prepare and cook roast for my father-in-law. When I stand at the grocery meat counter and stare at the meat all lined up under the glass and smell the bloody flesh I feel like hurling. I don't mean to be gross, but it really grosses me out. Then when I'm at home and have to stab the meat to tenderize it I have to take breaks and often can't look at the meat when I'm stabbing it. I start thinking of the animal and I have flashes of...well I won't go into details. I've said enough.
Posted By: juliegee Re: Good or Bad memories from a scent... - 07/12/08 03:40 AM
How about a good memory, then? My Grandmother always kept spearmint gum in her purse. It was a treat for us each time we saw her. I don't think I will ever forget the spearmint scent, mixed with the leather of her purse. Odd combination I guess, but I'll always remember opening her purse.
Posted By: Bea Scott Re: Good or Bad memories from a scent... - 07/12/08 04:52 PM
A sense of smell is much more potent in retrieving lost memories, methinks, and what I always remember is the smell of "new" newspaper --- it kinda reminds me of dad reading 'em on Sunday mornings.
My grandmother used to carry chiclets gum in her purse - I understand completly juliegee!

I dated a man who loved "Irish dinners" with the corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, etc....but he could not stay in the house while the cabbage was cooking because it made him cry. He said he knew something bad must have happened when he was young and there must have been cabbage cooking. He never could remember what it was.
I always smelled Vicks at my grandparents house that is when she wasn't making rhubarb pies lol
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Good or Bad memories from a scent... - 07/13/08 04:27 PM
The scent of a man, has to be the worse scent for me
It brings back memories of my father, and the sex abuse
Posted By: LadyLvsNyt Re: Good or Bad memories from a scent... - 07/18/08 05:01 PM
the scent of Avon original pink bubblebath IS childhood for me!
Posted By: LadyLvsNyt Re: Good or Bad memories from a scent... - 07/18/08 05:03 PM
also the smell of Aqua-Net hairspray mixed with Avon's Here's My Heart cologne is what I remember my Aunt Lil smelling like as a child--every once in a while I get a whiff of that hairspray when there is no way I should be smelling it and I know it is Aunt Lil saying Hi from the spirit world!
I remember Aqua Net - my childhood friend and I used to play at being grownup and wearing that. The smell was unique, wasn't it?
That's nice you have that pleasant association with your aunt.

Posted By: Roni Re: Good or Bad memories from a scent... - 07/18/08 06:59 PM
"Evening in Paris" In that tiny dark blue bottle..gah..did it stink? Every little girl I knew had the bottle....
How about the fair? The smell of the diesel fuel for the rides made me a little nauseous.

Now - the sweet smell of the cotton candy, the elephant ears dough, funnel cakes, etc......delicious!!!
The smell of English Leather cologne always makes me think of my Papa (he passed away when I was 7). That and the smell of a pipe. I can't stand cigarettes or cigars, but I love a pipe.

They always make me think of sitting on the back porch swing with him, sharing his chocolate milk (it came in glass bottles back then). laugh I don't have a single bad memory of my Papa, I was his "ladybug" - and he spoiled me rotten.
© BellaOnline Forums