BellaOnline
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Yes or no to Fragrance? - 03/30/11 06:33 PM
Hi Everyone:

I am finding that more employers are demanding a "no fragrance" ruling due to so many people having allergies.

Personally, I am happy as I am so over folks that "bath" in their fragrance.

What are your thoughts?
Posted By: jodiemt Re: Yes or no to Fragrance? - 09/16/11 04:56 AM
Hi Angela,
I don't think employers should dictate anything related to personal choices and fragrances are surely a personal choice. Now, if someone in the office has an allergy to slight particles of dust, so how will anyone control that?
However, i do agree with you about the fact that many people love to bathe themselves in their perfume. That is totally irritating. But a sufficient amount of perfume/deo is acceptable to keep off the body odor.
Posted By: Deep9988 Re: Yes or no to Fragrance? - 01/31/12 10:43 AM
use perfumes in sufficient amount.
If you bathe on a daily basis and use deodorant there is no need for strong perfumes. Some people and some cultures do not believe in this practice, unfortunately.

Scents in the office should be worn with respect for others. I know I like subtle scents on people, but strong scents or too much perfume on a person is offensive and nauseating. It is up to the individual to use restraint and common sense.

Employers who have a "no scent" policy have it in place probably because too many people have doused themselves with strong perfumes and offended the majority of workers. There are always those who ruin it for the rest.
Posted By: Krishanta Re: Yes or no to Fragrance? - 02/20/12 10:37 AM
We got different likes and dislikes and all i know we got freedom to choose what we like so i don't really think that its a big issue here.
It's not a big issue, but when working with people you need to have respect for them and not overpower them with your scent. Any scent when worn too heavily can be nauseating.
Posted By: VintageGS Re: Yes or no to Fragrance? - 02/20/12 08:51 PM
I am one of those people who are allergic to scents so I applaud employers who have a no-scent policy. It helps the company's bottom line since I don't have to miss work and go to the doctor's. At our company there are several people like myself.
I fully support that stand because I am sensitive to strong scents of any kind, to the point where if the odor is too strong I feel like I cannot breathe. I have a friend with allergies such as yours, Vintage, so I understand.

People have all sorts of medical and physical issues, and everyone in the workplace deserves to be respected. Little or no fragrance works just fine for me. People can wear their fragrances on their own personal time.
Posted By: Dannica Re: Yes or no to Fragrance? - 02/22/12 10:06 PM
Well it's probably easier to just make a "no fragrance" rule than for the boss to single out someone for stinking up the place. Which a co-worker once told me she had to talk to one employee about bathing regularly and using deoderent after another employee said he would not work with the stinky guy unless something changed. She said the conversation went surprisingly well, and she pulled from her mom skills. I was glad I never had to have such a conversation (either side, lol).
I can't imagine having to conduct such a conversation, but I think a lot of us have been in work environments where these things do occur. Sometimes it is a culture thing in regards to the frequency of bathing, shaving armpits, using deodorant, etc. Other times it is just laziness.

Weird that these things which appear to be common sense issues are not common sense with some people. Some think a strong perfume covers up body odor, but all it does is make it worse.
Happy Leap Day!
Posted By: Encore DT Re: Yes or no to Fragrance? - 06/21/12 01:24 AM
I think moderation is key...forcing people to not wear any frangrances sounds like elementary school. Adults should decide for themselves what's right for them, as long as they are willing to avoid overly aggressive smells and moderate the amount.
Posted By: kayasieraden Re: Yes or no to Fragrance? - 08/10/12 11:57 AM
I love perfume and I use it everyday.I think most people are allergic to strong perfume instead of strong we can make use of light smell perfume.
Posted By: Nirmal Minhaj Re: Yes or no to Fragrance? - 01/04/13 04:14 AM
In finding a best perfume is really stone cutting job for me...Thanks for above fruitful replies...Highly Appreciated
Posted By: Omily Re: Yes or no to Fragrance? - 01/21/13 02:50 AM
I think they can use perfume, others can also feel pleasant. But they should have sufficient amount. smile
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Yes or no to Fragrance? - 06/13/15 02:09 PM
I think that this can enter the clothing guideline a company has the right to put in place so yes bosses have the right to tell their employees to not use perfumes or anything else that has a fragrance while at work. On the other hand just because you have an allergy does not mean that you can dictate what others do near or around you. I am allergic to nuts and never have I forced anyone to not eat nuts and if there's a nut scent out there I do not want anyone stopping themselves from wearing it around me either, one time when I was on a subway a man was eating a bag of nuts and the smell was bothering me and I just got up and sat elsewhere.
© BellaOnline Forums