BellaOnline

Nagashi Somen (Updated w/ pix)

Posted By: Tas - Japanese Culture

Nagashi Somen (Updated w/ pix) - 10/06/12 12:30 PM

Hi all,
This week's article is on Nagashi Somen AKA "flowing noodles". Nagashi Somen is pretty rare even in Japan, so if you have the chance to, you should try them. smile

I've included one picture in the article, but if you want some close ups, feel free to ask and I'll post them in the forum.

Nagashi Somen
Posted By: Lori-Dreams

Re: Nagashi Somen - 10/21/12 04:29 AM

I wish I could enjoy Nagashi Somen in Japan! It sounds fantastic! Fresh and refreshing!

I love somen, and it would be so fun to catch some noodles as they float by in the flume.

Thanks for your wonderful pictures. It really adds authenticity to your articles and makes me feel as though I am "there."

Re: Nagashi Somen - 10/21/12 04:30 AM

My mother also enjoys your articles and photos. I signed her up for your newsletter and she looks forward to them. smile

Re: Nagashi Somen - 10/21/12 10:24 AM

Oh, thanks so much for your support!
I've been real busy recently, but I'll try to post a photo or two on this forum when I have time.

Re: Nagashi Somen - 10/21/12 10:27 AM

Thank you, Lori smile

I'm glad you enjoy the articles.

Yes, Nagashi Somen is awesome. You should try it someday!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading

Re: Nagashi Somen - 10/21/12 01:11 PM

What an interesting article!

Re: Nagashi Somen - 10/22/12 12:31 PM

Thank you~
Here are a couple more pix of Nagashi Somen...

Was taking a picture with my left hand while simultaneously attempting to grab the somen with my right...

One batch of somen down, many more to go!

Re: Nagashi Somen - 10/24/12 01:06 AM

OISHIIIIII!!!!!

Re: Nagashi Somen - 10/24/12 11:39 AM

Yes, it is. smile

Here's a closer look at where the somen that wasn't caught ended up.

After the Battle To Catch Somen has ended, the waiter passed me the basket... Apparently, I missed a LOT of somen.

Re: Nagashi Somen - 10/25/12 04:08 PM

Wow, they must have served a lot of somen if that is the amount you "missed!"

Oh, how I am craving somen now. But isn't somen a summer food? Is the restaurant open during the winter?

And, does every diner have his own flume or are several diners seated along one flume. I wonder if people would be concerned about dipping their chopsticks into the flume water after others have done the same, putting their chopsticks into their mouths?

Re: Nagashi Somen - 10/26/12 02:04 AM

I think I missed quite a lot, as it's really difficult to scoop an entire batch of somen in one go... for me at least. But the whole thing was filling enough for me, despite the lack of side dishes.

Yes, unfortunately, you're right. It's only available during summer. frown

The flume is shared by several diners. I think yes, there'd be people who mind it, but judging by the number of customers, most wouldn't.
© 2020 BellaOnline Forums