BellaOnline
Posted By: Jilly Do you have any green goals? - 08/14/11 09:51 PM
Anything you are working on in your life to make more green? Have you made any life changes (small or large) or do you need ideas on how to incorporate eco friendly actions into your other life goals?
Posted By: carolinaaram Re: Do you have any green goals? - 08/23/11 03:33 PM
I follow basic rules to save some energy like switching off the all home appliance when it was not in use.I do not over use water.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Do you have any green goals? - 08/28/11 01:57 AM
carolinaaram, that's great that you do that! We often forget to switch off appliances when not in use, which creates a large energy drain.

One thing i find helpful for small appliances is to connect things to a power strip, and to just turn off the strip entirely when things like a toaster, coffeepot, microwave or whatever is not in active use.
I always use reusable cloth bags. I hang them on the doorknob to my garage. I used to forget them a lot and I would feel horrible.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Do you have any green goals? - 08/28/11 02:10 AM
That's a great idea, Maria - so they are always ready to go when you are on the way out. :-)

I have a bunch of totes I keep in my car, and one that lives all folded up and tiny in my purse. My CVS Green Bag tag lives on the handle of that one.

I do accept the plastic bags though, when I run out of them at home. they are perfect for cleaning out the litter box, and as small trash bags around the house.

I think i will work on an article for reusing plastic bags....hmmm
Posted By: carolinaaram Re: Do you have any green goals? - 10/12/11 04:40 PM
And now days new technologies are came to picture.. Just like when we get out from the home and close the doors then automatically lights and fans get switched off...
Posted By: jodiemt Re: Do you have any green goals? - 10/14/11 04:55 AM
Nice ideas..I will incorporate these.
Posted By: AnneE Re: Do you have any green goals? - 10/14/11 05:45 AM
Does keeping my house plants alive and well, count as a green goal?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Do you have any green goals? - 11/05/11 04:16 AM
House plants create oxygen, so that is great!

You know, I don't think any of my goals are green-related. That's an interesting thought. We should all try to add one green related goal onto our goal lists!

Well, I do work to rid my house of books and magazines in a green way, which is in this realm. So I'll keep working on that.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Do you have any green goals? - 11/07/11 05:30 AM
AnneE, house plants absolutely do their part to make your indoor air healthier to breathe. I've read that indoor air is pretty bad with carpet glue, monitor output, paint fumes, plastic outgassing and the use of cleaning chemicals all wafting around the air. Among other things. smile

One thing I try to do is air out my home for 20 minutes a day, even just by cracking a window in each area. And I did just pick up some houseplants at Walgreens (2 for $10) to help absorb toxins. I got a spider plant and a corn plant, since those each absorb different toxins.

So getting and caring for your houseplants is a good green goal.

Posted By: Jilly Re: Do you have any green goals? - 11/07/11 05:32 AM
Also, all green plants act as a carbon sink. One of my goals this year was to put in some fruit trees. Each act of tree planting around my yard counts as a carbon offset amount. I planted...four fruit trees and several food bearing shrubs.

I hope to get more food bearing trees in this spring. Hopefully nut trees.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Do you have any green goals? - 03/20/12 11:45 PM
I have two more green goals for this year. My plan is to use less than 400 gallons of water a month and less than 400 kwh of electricity. I am not far from these goals now, but i am excited to do better!

Also, it's another year and time for another rainwater barrel.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Do you have any green goals? - 08/03/12 03:23 AM
Just to update, I have solidly whacked those goals in the buttocks. I now use far less than 100 gallons of water in a month and only 1.2 kWh or electric. smile

Still need that fifth rain barrel though. smile
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Do you have any green goals? - 12/27/15 05:48 PM
I have been doing all I can for many years now. I recycle everything that is recyclable even the smallest of things (this year my province FINALLY started collecting food so we now have a compost bin), I close the lights when I leave a room, I close the water in the shower while I use the soap after putting my shampoo on, when I am alone I only flush after going number two (thats the only thing i never was able to change my parents with as far as the environment is concerned - that and also mom always leaves the water running when she is brushing her teeth) and I never leave the water on when I wash my teeth or anything else I only turn it back on when I need water just like in the shower.

I would love to live in a place that the energy comes from green energy so that is my green goal.
© BellaOnline Forums