BellaOnline
Posted By: BellaDeb All-time faves? - 07/02/10 06:33 PM
I'm on a search for good books to read this summer. What are your all-time SF/Fantasy favorites?

P.S., I'm re-reading Stranger in a Strange Land now (the original uncut version since I never knew it existed until recently. Seems I forgot a lot in a few uhm, decades!)
Posted By: LML Re: All-time faves? - 07/06/10 04:16 PM
Oh, that's a hard one to answer! I have so many favorites...
Any Ray Bradbury

I really like Kay Kenyon's The Entire and the Rose series (it starts with Bright of the Sky

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow was good

I'm curious to see if anyone else has suggestions!
Posted By: Jilly Re: All-time faves? - 07/07/10 12:33 AM
Stranger is in my top five.

Also in there is the John Varley Trilogy Titan. I re-red this one a lot.

Lord Valentine's Castle is marvelous.

The original Pern Trilogy also: Dragonquest, Dragonflight and The White Dragon.
Posted By: Innamorata Re: All-time faves? - 08/08/10 11:10 PM
Ooh, I can name a few. "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. "Bloodchild and Other Stories" by Octavia Butler. "The Year of the Unicorn" by Andre Norton (although that kind of ventures into fantasy).
Posted By: Craig58 Re: All-time faves? - 08/10/10 04:19 PM
My favorite Scifi books include:

1. The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffery
2. The Myth Adventures series by Robert Asprin
3. Wolves of Memory by George Alec Effinger
4. Cloned Lives by Pamela Sargent
5. The novels of H.G. Wells
6. Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham, also many of his other novels.
Posted By: Craig58 Re: All-time faves? - 08/10/10 04:21 PM
I recently read Orson Card's Ender's Game. I liked it very much. I have also recently read his newer novels "Empire" and "Hidden Empire". Both are very good.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: All-time faves? - 09/06/10 11:45 PM
Dresden Files, the Meredith Gentry faery books (though they are pretty racy and seem to get more so with each new book LOL).

Mists of Avalon - love it - but boy, is it a long read LOL!

I like to re-read Lord of the Rings too every once in a while.

I just got some of the Sookie Stackhouse novels from my mom, and am looking forward to starting them.

I've heard that the Chronicles of Amber is a fantastic series. A friend gave me the books, but I have yet to read them.
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: All-time faves? - 10/04/10 11:22 AM
Marion Zimmer Bradley also wrote other Avalon books including Lady of Avalon and Priestess of Avalon. I think her Darkover books are great.

I also really enjoy Orson Scott Card - I'm currently reading through the Alvin Maker series and I think his book Songbird is exquisite. Of the Ender series I really like Speaker for the Dead - stories within story, well worth reading.
Posted By: peter110 Re: All-time faves? - 12/17/10 09:42 AM
[quote=Laura_SFF_Books]Oh, that's a hard one to answer! I have so many favorites... Any Ray Bradbury I really like Kay Kenyon's The Entire and the Rose series (it starts with [url=http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33038.asp]Bright of the Sky[/url] [url=http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art57419.asp]Little Brother[/url] by Cory Doctorow was good I'm curious to see if anyone else has suggestions! [/quote] Thanks for the books.I'll like to read.
Posted By: Shira Re: All-time faves? - 12/20/10 02:02 AM
The Game of Thrones Fahrenheit 451 The Giver Foundation Series by Asimov ...just to name a few
Posted By: .... Re: All-time faves? - 05/27/11 09:29 PM
Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game & the series, Songmaster,
Anne MacCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series, petaybee series, crystal singer series
Lord of the Rings

Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: All-time faves? - 05/29/11 03:57 AM
I love the Ender books. My all time favorite Sci-Fi author is Robert Heinlein. He has given me thousands of hours of pleasure. Also, he has shaped my attitudes. When I had children, I made sure that they were exposed to his world-view, too. "Back in the day" he had some of the few strong female characters.
Posted By: Amy - Romance Movies Re: All-time faves? - 08/11/11 07:13 PM
George R. R. Martin's series - A Song of Ice And Fire

I just finished Patrick Rothfuss' 2nd book "A Wise Man's Fear" which is the sequel to "The Name of the Wind", and I really like both of those.

Posted By: FrankJBN Re: All-time faves? - 08/16/11 02:49 PM
"Stranger in a Strange Land now (the original uncut version"

As I understand it, there is no "original, uncut version." The original version is the "cut version" abridged by the author.

IMO, what an author keeps at home and does not release to the public should not be considered the "original" version. It is more of a 'working script'.

Heinlein was dead before the 'new' uncut version was ever released. I'm pretty sure what he wanted his readers to have was the novel he submitted for publication in 1961.
Posted By: thomas86 Re: All-time faves? - 10/04/11 11:16 PM
if you're looking for a series: Lord of the rings game of thrones the belgrariad by david eddings (great series that got me into fantasy) One offs: Any Ray Bradbury Cat's Cradle (this counts as sci fi right?) Ender's game (this is actually part of a series but this is the best)
Posted By: jodiemt Re: All-time faves? - 11/29/11 04:53 AM
I have just read this one book on Sci-fi/fantas by Dean Koontz. It's 'Voice of the Night'. But I really loved it..been meaning to read more.
Posted By: Pajduska Re: All-time faves? - 12/17/12 07:36 AM
The last post here was over a year ago, so I hope someone is reading this! Is anyone here reading the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett? I can't get enough of them! They are funny, intelligent and meaningful. Highly entertaining. I'm also reading Cloud Atlas. I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm looking forward to the release of The Host in the spring. The book is by Stephanie Meyer but it could not be any less like Twilight!
Posted By: elle Re: All-time faves? - 01/05/13 12:23 AM
I quite like Terry Pratchett's Discworld, especially the Tiffany Aching books.

Fave Fantasy series: Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy

Fave Sci Fi: Greg Egan's Schild's Ladder
Posted By: upupandaway Re: All-time faves? - 02/19/13 10:27 AM
Ok, I'll give you categories based on reading length: Series: C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner series. These SciFi books have realistically little action, but the psychology, and the realistic portrayal of alien civilizations meeting and living together is amazing. Trilogy: C.S. Friedman's The Coldfire Trilogy. This is the one trilogy that I've probably read 10 or more times. It's fantastic. If I had to suggest one thing to read, it'd be this. Plus the original cover art was done by Michael Whelan. How can you say no to that? Single Book: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. My All time favorite Sci-Fi book. Ever. It's not an easy read for everyone, I mean, it's old, so you have to get used to the story telling style. Once you do though, it's a fantastic story.
© BellaOnline Forums