BellaOnline
Posted By: LML Do you keep a reading list? - 02/14/07 03:48 PM
I've decided to keep lists of both books I've read and books I own but still need to read. Once too often I've checked a book out of the library only to realize I've already read it or have it sitting on my bookshelf!

Does anyone keep a list like this?
Posted By: MB2345 Re: Do you keep a reading list? - 02/14/07 05:42 PM
Most definitely! In the past, I entered it by hand onto my PC into Excell which is sort of primitive. I organized it alphabetically by author into an Allbooks list with columns I could sort by, including subject category. Then I had separate category lists that I would have to cross-reference to the Allbooks list and keep updated by hand since I didn't know how to link them!

As I've said, it was primitive. I really should have used a database. My list numbered 3,000 at its zenith, about 60% of which I had actually read! Then I gave away most of it, trimming way way back to the 200 very best. (Book collecting can get completely out of control if you let it!)

There are wands available now that you can use to scan in the barcodes of books, and then display them by every possible variable in a database. That's probably the best way to do it now! Have you ever tried this? I'd be curious to hear about it.
Posted By: LML Re: Do you keep a reading list? - 02/16/07 03:50 PM
I'll probably use Excell too, since I have no clue how to make a database. I'll bet I could find something online to use.
Posted By: LML Re: Do you keep a reading list? - 02/23/07 02:18 PM
I found a free program at Spacejock. It's called BookDB and it looks to be pretty comprehensive. In fact, my hubby was going to show it to our very small local library since they have yet to go digital with their catalog (Yes, they still have a card catalog!). He takes care of their computers and he said the program they were looking to buy cost a few thousand dollars, so this would be great for them.

I also downloaded a program called Sonar there that's to help writers track submissions. And I realized one of my fiction writer friends uses their YWriter for her work.
Posted By: decided Re: Do you keep a reading list? - 01/16/08 02:23 AM
I started to keep a list of the books I am reading, have read and want to read at www.goodreads.com. It's quite quick and easy to use. I update it through my Facebook profile normally.

You can share the list with your friends, and it gives you suggestions based on what they liked. :o)
Posted By: LML Re: Do you keep a reading list? - 01/17/08 03:39 PM
Looks like a neat site! I'll have to do a little exploring there.
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Do you keep a reading list? - 12/08/16 03:25 PM
I have a list of books I want to read.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Do you keep a reading list? - 12/09/16 06:20 AM
I keep a list of books I've read and want to read going back 2 years ...
Posted By: Peter - Wine Re: Do you keep a reading list? - 12/09/16 08:31 AM
My 'to read list' are the free samples and downloaded books on my Kindle.

Once read they're moved in a 'Read in 20XX' folder.

For online databases to manage your books the original is surely LibraryThing.com
© BellaOnline Forums