BellaOnline
Posted By: English_Garden Scented Plants - 03/25/08 09:29 PM
English Gardens are well known for their abundance of sweet smelling plants.
Honeysuckle and Lily of the Valley are two of my favourites.

What is your favourite scented plant?

Hellie
Posted By: chloe21 Re: Scented Plants - 03/25/08 10:41 PM
I love the scent of Lilacs. I only wish that their blooming season was a little longer.
Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice Re: Scented Plants - 04/05/08 12:00 AM
Love lilacs! Also, love the smell of roses fresh from the garden - much stronger scent that store bought/
Posted By: Claybird Re: Scented Plants - 04/05/08 12:18 AM
In my garden Lilacs and Lilies of the Valley are right up there with Madonna (Easter) lilies, Casa Blanca lilies and Mockorange bush (which smells like real orange blossoms and is as near to that heavenly scent as we northern gardeners can get.) Blue Hyacinths are just now putting their noses up, in a few weeks their heavy sweet scent will begin drifting across the garden.

Once a visitor to my back yard said that it looked like a real English garden, but I knew the truth...it is far too untidy to be put into that exalted category.
But it DOES have a lot of flowering plants!
Posted By: English_Garden Re: Scented Plants - 04/08/08 09:55 AM
Lilacs are gorgeous
Lilies can be a bit overpowering for some people but wow what alot of scent they have.
Violets have a very delicate scent and pinks are another wondeful scented family.
There are scented plants for every month of the year - what is your favourite scented plant??

Hellie
English Garden
Posted By: Eng Culture Nicola Jane Re: Scented Plants - 04/08/08 02:25 PM
mignonette and night stock, smelling them I know what heaven smells like.
Posted By: Helen Doll Making Editor Re: Scented Plants - 04/12/08 12:29 PM
Jasmine and lavender, but also blue hyacinth and lilac and roses and......

I don't think I have just one favorite. I specified blue hyacinth above because my Mother always said that the blue ones were stronger scented than the white or pink. I don't know if it's true or not but it's something I've just always accepted that Mom knew.
Posted By: fusion376 Re: Scented Plants - 08/13/08 03:06 PM
I like the secant of Liliacs, Jasmine and Rose.
Posted By: Finny Re: Scented Plants - 08/25/08 12:41 PM
I really like the scent of phlox. I have some white ones blooming now and wish I had more so the scent would be stronger.
Posted By: gardenplanters Re: Scented Plants - 07/11/09 12:57 PM
Welcome to Gardenplanters. I only wish that their blooming season was a little longer. I don't think I have just one favorite. I specified blue hyacinth above because my Mother always said that the blue ones were stronger scented than the white or pink.
Posted By: Claybird Re: Scented Plants - 07/12/09 01:47 AM
Then there are the plants with scented leaves. Right now in my garden the basil is growing tall, as is a related plant that I only know as "Friendship Plant" because it self seeds readily and produces lots of small plants that can be given away to friends. It has broad purple leaves that have a beautiful sweet spicy smell when crushed. I also like the fragrance of crushed tansy leaves.
Posted By: goldentony111 Re: Scented Plants - 10/30/11 04:00 PM
Honeysuckle
Posted By: Carol - English Garden Re: Scented Plants - 03/31/12 11:20 AM
Hi all-
I just posted a new article on the BellaOnline English Garden site on scented plants. Read it here:
Using Scented Plants in an English Garden
© BellaOnline Forums