BellaOnline
Posted By: Christine - Painting Ed Renaissance Movies - 09/22/09 03:11 AM
I am looking for suggestions for Renaissance period movies. There is one about Michelangelo whose name I can never remember when I go to look for it. Does anyone remember what that is?
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Renaissance Movies - 09/22/09 04:54 AM
Are you talking about Robert Snyder?
Posted By: Vance - Crime Editor Re: Renaissance Movies - 09/22/09 04:58 AM
Excalibur is one of my fave renaissance movies.
Posted By: Helen Doll Making Editor Re: Renaissance Movies - 09/27/09 02:28 PM
Hi Christine,

Are you referring to the movie The Agony and the Ecstasy?

I think that one was about Michelangelo's work on the Sistine ceiling.
Posted By: gemineye006 Re: Renaissance Movies - 01/20/12 10:58 PM
barry lyndon
Posted By: Deborah - Renaissance Re: Renaissance Movies - 01/23/12 08:52 PM
Thanks for the addition, gemineye006!
Posted By: FrankJBN Re: Renaissance Movies - 01/23/12 09:59 PM
Probably good to define the period known as the Renaissance which is generally discussed as encompassing the 15th into the 17th century. That's c. 1400 up to maybe 1650.

This means the story of Excalibur took place not quite 1,000 years before the Renaissance period and that of Barry Lyndon a century or so after the Renaissance ended.

The Agony and the Ecstacy indeed the story of Michaelangelo a leading renaissance artist.

"Elizabeth" is a good relatively recent look at this period and Elizabeth I. If you can find it "A Man for All Seasons" about Thomas More.

Shakespeare did his writing in the latter part of this era - surprising so many of his plays have been moved into different time periods, so it is hard to get a Renaissance look or feel from modern versions, but there is plenty of Shakepeare available.
Posted By: Deborah - Renaissance Re: Renaissance Movies - 01/30/12 09:02 PM
Thanks for the point Frank!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Renaissance Movies - 02/02/21 09:12 PM
I absolutely love Shakespeare and had 8 different versions of Hamlet on DVD. I'm trying to slowly divest myself of some of them ... :)
© BellaOnline Forums