BellaOnline
I was wondering how many of you dress in period costume for the Renaissance Fairs? What do you wear? I love the idea but never have because they tend to be held during warm weather months and I am very sensitive to heat (hot flashes, menopause, etc blush )and the costumes look very warm.

Please share pictures, if you have them.
Posted By: Trish-D Re: Do you dress for the Ren Fair? - 08/02/08 06:46 PM
When I used to be involved with the SCA, I made a lot of tunics because they were so easy. So, I guess I would say I went as a peasant..LOL. I would like to make something nicer to go to a fair in, but you're right about the heat. An elaborate costume is hard to stay cool in.
Posted By: LadyLvsNyt Re: Do you dress for the Ren Fair? - 08/02/08 07:27 PM
I always dress and the pattern I use is so easy you can even sew it by hand---which I had to do when I went by my SCA groups regs regarding anachronistic materials and methods. I use two twin sized sheets and two queen/king sized pillowcases. All you do basically is 'dog-ear' (fold down and cut off) the top two corners of the sheets as deep as you need the armpits and then do the same to the pillowcases to match them up and sew them on! put a drawstring in the neck and wrists, sew up the sides and voila! One size fits most--a basic shift that you can add a wide belt to or a vest or tunic. I use a stiff upholstery fabric to make the belt and get an eyelet riveter (any fabric store has them) and some lacing cord. Men's shirts can be made the same way but cut it off short and hem the edge.
(Incidentally if you need period Greek or Roman dress do the same thing but do not cut the corners, just fold down and put ties at the shoulders and leave off the sleeves.)
Ravyn
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Do you dress for the Ren Fair? - 08/02/08 09:08 PM
Yes definitely, I love the medieval period (I have five romance novels written that are set in that period). So I wear those outfits. They can be quite cool if made properly. They can also be made to be warm for cooler days. I have a number of them so I'm set whatever the weather smile

I love wearing the medieval outfits and always wear one on Halloween. Some would say that the floor length dresses I love to wear normally are really just versions of those outfits smile
Their are many good websites for how - to's on making period clothing but the best one I've found so far for accuracy to the period and good background info is reconstructinghistory.com

This weeks article, Celtic Renaissance Clothing is about the Leine, which would be perfect for men or women and could be made in light weight fabric for use during hot weather, or wool for cold. The sight above has a great selection of patterns for sale to make lots of different period clothing, including a leine.
© BellaOnline Forums