BellaOnline
Posted By: Helen Doll Making Editor Washing Antique Linens? - 09/11/08 01:40 PM
Years ago I saw a "recipe" for washing antique linens. I think it included either Dove dish liquid or Ivory Liquid for dishes, and one other ingredient. Does anyone know what the ingredients are?
Posted By: HeatherCleaningEditor Re: Washing Antique Linens? - 10/08/08 03:07 AM
It's Dove dishwashing soap (liquid) and powdered Clorox 2. It's 1 part Dove, 1 part Clorox 2 and 1 part warm water (not hot). It can take 1-3 weeks to remove the stain in this liquid and you need to watch the water level (due to evaporation).

This is a variation on a non-antique linen recipe that is a god-send. That one is 1 c. powdered Cascade dishwashing detergent, 1 c. powdered Clorox 2 and 5 gallons (or a slop sink full) of your tap's hottest water--soaking the clothing overnight and then laundering them in the washer. But this one is too harsh for the antiques.
Posted By: Helen Doll Making Editor Re: Washing Antique Linens? - 10/09/08 01:51 AM
Thank-you so much, Heather. I have several antique doilies, dresser scarves, etc., that were my Mother's and they are so precious to me that I didn't want to take a chance washing them in anything too harsh. At the same time, I really want to get the old spots and yellowing out if I can.
Posted By: HeatherCleaningEditor Re: Washing Antique Linens? - 10/09/08 07:43 PM
If you're going for white vs. ivory, you could also wet them and let them sit in the sun... for days to weeks. It will "sun bleach" them--but they will be white, not ivory, when finished.

Some lemon juice adds to the whitening process, but will also break down the fibers--so it's a good addition for newer fabrics, but not antique ones.
© BellaOnline Forums