BellaOnline
Posted By: elle Make your own dishwasher detergent? - 06/05/08 04:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Julie
Borax is often used to kill insects like ants. I have included it in dishwasher detergent recipes, but only with a great rinse and with vinegar as a rinse aid to remove all traces of it.

I'm fed up with our dishwasher, and I'm also fed up with the horrid expensive abrasive detergent we put in it, and no doubt the residue on our dishes that we end up consuming. I read that natural dishwasher detergents were far kinder on the dishes and cleaned better, but unfortunately we don't yet get such a luxury item as natural dishwasher detergent in Australia.

We do have one company that makes natural dishwashing liquid for hand washing. There is a big warning on their product that it is not suitable for dishwasher use due to the way the dishwasher dispenser works.

Is it possible to make something natural that would be safe to put into the dispenser of the dishwasher?
Hi Elle,

I've used plain baking soda in the wash and pre-wash containers. In the rinse aid section, fill with plain vinegar. I always use vinegar as a rinse agent to remove detergent residue, plus to inhibit mold growth.

I have had great results with oxy-powders. In fact, the oxy powders cleaned better than any powder detergent I've used. Unlike chlorine bleach, oxy bleach is a safe product. Use just like you would any dishwasher detergent.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: elle Re: Make your own dishwasher detergent? - 06/05/08 05:48 AM
Thanks Julie! I'll give it a try when my hubby's not looking wink
lol! No problem :-)
Posted By: Gaye Crispin Re: Make your own dishwasher detergent? - 06/05/08 12:11 PM
Is that right? So it's just plain baking soda instead of the dishwasher powder? Wow! Great. Did I get it right, or did I miss a page some where else?
I use 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 borax for my dishwashing detergent. I just mix up a bunch of it & store it in a plastic container.

I also use vinegar in the jet dry compartment.
© BellaOnline Forums