BellaOnline
Posted By: Sue Early Childhood Cleaning tip - 02/22/08 02:34 PM
I saw this tip in a magazine (can't remember which one). I can't believe I never thought of this before.

when bed sheets come out of the dryer, fold them and place everything that goes together in one of the pillow cases. This way the entire sheet set stays together and is ready when you wnat to put that set on the bed.

Am I the only one who has never done this?

Anyone else have any tips to make every day cleaning easier?
Posted By: freespirit Re: Cleaning tip - 02/22/08 04:34 PM
Oh Duh! Why didnt I think of that?! I have a pile of fitted sheets and flats somewhere else and pillow cases and shames in a drawer and It never fails if i want this one I have to dige to the bottom of the other two to get what i want! Grrrrr I that would save space time and my sanity wouldnt it?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Cleaning tip - 02/25/08 12:15 AM
I could never fold them that flat smile I fold the sheets into a squareish shape and then toss them into the top of the linen closet. I suppose I could *try* to get them flat but usually they just sit on that top shelf as a large squarish blob smile
Posted By: Julie-Cleaning Re: Cleaning tip - 02/25/08 01:40 AM
Lisa, you can fold, then roll. I do that with towels and sheets. Then the sheets do not end up with too many creases.

Learned that from a military friend. I don't know if all branches roll their clothing, but this Navy friend did. Said it creates more room. I'm not sure how true that is, I've tried both rolling and folding, seems about the same.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Cleaning tip - 02/26/08 08:50 AM
I definitely roll my clothes when I pack for somewhere tight like a cruise, and it does make a big difference. I never roll my clothes at home though, I always fold the things that go into drawers.

I never thought about sheets having or not having creases - to me they're under the blankets and get all creased after the first time you climb into them. But I've never worried about square corners or anything like that either. The bottom sheet has elastics on all of our sets so they just get dragged on. For the top sheets the bottom two corners get jammed under the mattress and the top two corners hang loose.

Do people spend a lot of time on flat sheets?
Posted By: Julie-Cleaning Re: Cleaning tip - 02/26/08 02:27 PM
Some people do. I cannot stand for my bedclothes to be crooked when I'm in bed. My husband laughs at me for this. But I have to have the sheets on as tight as possible or his bulk will twist everything to smithereens. He's a big boy!

As for creases, it only bothers me on guest sheets. I don't know why, because most people could care less what they're sleeping on, they're just happy that their host thought of having any sheets in the first place for them.

Man. I really need to get out more, don't I? LOL.
Posted By: shootingstar123 Re: Cleaning tip - 02/26/08 08:58 PM
This is to wash yellowed linens.. You can brightened them with denture-cleaning tablets. Dissolve tablets (according to package directions) in a sink or washbasin of warm water. Add the stained linens and soak until the discoloration is gone. Wash as usual. Works great!!! grin..!!
Posted By: msbaby Re: Cleaning tip - 02/27/08 12:14 AM
I'm a neat freak when it comes to my bed coverings. I try to only have one set of sheets out of the package at a time. Strip the bed, wash dry and re-apply. No folding will be necessary and my sheets will not have the wrinkles that would be there if they had been folded in the linen closet. Plus, they smell nicer fresh out of the dryer.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Cleaning tip - 02/28/08 10:22 PM
That's an interesting thought - we have 3 sets of sheets and rotate through them. We have cats so we take off one set, put the second set right on and remake the bed so the cats don't get their fur all over the sheets. I suppose we could put the blankets back on to protect it while the sheets were being washed but we just do it this way.

My boyfriend is on the large side but for some reason we don't need to nail down the sheets, I guess we must not toss and turn much ... I like the sheets being loose, actually. Then I have two big fluffy blankets on top of them.
Posted By: freespirit Re: Cleaning tip - 02/29/08 02:45 AM
you know As a massage therapist, I have always worried about what my sheets look like and my flat sheets are nice and perfect with even creases and everything but the fitted sheets are always wrinkled square blobs when I fold them and then on the table they are wrinkled....I have always been embaressed by my lack of folding skills! I traded out with a friend who has her sheets done professionaly and they were worse then mine!!! I thought Hey if the pro's sheets can look worse then mine then I dont have to be embaressed anymore! laugh
Posted By: M.B. Re: Cleaning tip - 02/29/08 05:34 AM
I tried the "sheet set in the pillow case" thing, but it didn't help me keep my linen closet neater. In fact, it looked messier because I had what appeared to be large blobs on the shelves instead of almost well folded stacks. But then, in a home with only two people (and only one bed), I didn't have trouble keeping sets together to start with, so maybe I shouldn't have even tried utilizing that tip.

I'm not too picky about how the sheets are folded, though I used to be. These days, as long as it's the right size to fit on the shelf, and is relatively neat, I don't really care about the details. It helps that the two sets of sheets we use most often are "t-shirt" sheets. They aren't crisp linens by any means. As they are no longer new, they are wrinkled and stretched like a favorite well-worn tee. Casual folding habits do them no harm.
Posted By: freespirit Re: Cleaning tip - 02/29/08 07:13 AM
AMEN to that!!!
At home we have full size sheets and king sized sheets so I tryed the pillow case thing but now I have to take every thing out of the case and unfold them to see if it is king or full... I think I should have got different sheets for the two beds instead of matching them....it sounded like a great idea when I got them! It would help if the linen closet was more then just one small shelf that I have a hard time reaching muchless seeint the dang thing! :)anyways.... I put little labels on the shelf so as long as they dont get put in the wrong stack it should work... oh did I mention I am Also a massage therapist so I also have twin sheets for work that also get stored (read as mixed up with) the other sheets? it is always fun to have a busy day at work and get down to your last clean set of sheets at the shop and decover that its a king size set! The full size sheets I can work with but King? The last lady that I did that too was a regular and she said OMG!!!! your table shrunk?!!!! and I said no my sheets just go bigger and she said OH so are you telling me I need to lose weight because you cant cover me with a regular sheet? (she is like 110 pounds and 5 foot 8in. tall!) I had to laugh!

Thank God That Has only happen One time since we got the king sized bed! I was mortified but I was thankful that it was one of my regualrs and not a new client! I have since swhitched all of my twin work sheets to white and that helps a lot! I dont have to worry about matching the sets and all at work and they dont get mixed up with my home sheets! this week I made a place to store the extra sheets at the office! laugh Life is good!
© BellaOnline Forums