BellaOnline
Posted By: Julie-Cleaning Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/19/08 02:15 AM
I just wrote a review on the new Oreck XL with IntellaShield. I love it, have been lusting after Oreck for quite a while.

Do you have one? If not, what do you have and what is your favorite quality of it?

Before this one came in, I used a Kirby, my mother gave it to me as a gift, and it did pretty well. I didn't like how heavy it was nor how you have to go hunting for the hose when you need it.

Then we had a parade of Dirt Devils and my favorite of all bagless vacs was the Eureka Boss. My MIL wants a Dyson.

Posted By: shootingstar123 Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/19/08 03:14 AM
I have a Aerus Electrolux canister model..My Grandma & Mom had one for 60 yrs..I finally wore it out..I recently bought a bran-new one..They don't seem to change them..except my new one has a filter on top..I tried Hoovers & Dirt Devil and I always come back to Electrolux. It does a excellent job and is easy to use..
(My little dogs don't care for it much though..) eek..!!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/19/08 04:11 AM
We have a central vac, I really like it. You just drag the holes to a plug in the wall and plug it in. Quite and efficient and you only clean the canister once every few months smile

We also have a few Roombas and a Scooba - I *love* them!!
Posted By: GamerGrrl Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/19/08 04:09 PM
I've been lusting after a Dyson.

Because ...vacuums suck... That's a brilliant marketing campaign! But, seriously, a friend of mine has one and she gave me a mini-demo one night. Amazing. I want one.
Posted By: Joan541 Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/19/08 05:19 PM
I have a Dyson and it's great. We got the pet one as I have a dog and a cat. It's nice to just empty the canister instead of dealing with bags.
Posted By: Julie-Cleaning Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/19/08 06:12 PM
Bags, that's the only downfall I can think of for the Oreck. The bags are very expensive, but do seem to last a long time.

I am thinking of getting a new cannister-style for quick everyday clean, then using the Oreck one a week. I just hate how dust poofs around with a bagless when you empty it.
Posted By: Kataphileo Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/19/08 06:38 PM
I love Dyson! I had one back home before I moved but didn't have room to pack it and I really miss it! I know its silly to miss a vacuum but we bought one from Bed Bath and Beyond and it doesn't pick up the lint and threads on the floor very well. I hate it! It makes me really appreciate the higher priced vacuums.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/20/08 04:10 AM
It definitely is worth it to have a good quality vacuum. It really affects the air you are breathing!
Posted By: Lynn_B Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/20/08 04:17 AM
I have a Hoover Elite (the Hepa variety without bags). It does well, but it clogs easily. I hate having to vacuum out the vacuum cleaner.

I'd love to have both a Roomba and a Scooba. My only concern is they seem pretty flimsy. With two small kids, on large husband, two cats and a new puppy to harass them, I'm not sure the little electronic beasties would survive.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/20/08 04:22 AM
Actually we have 2 cats and the Roomba is VERY solidly built. We haven't had any problems with it. Also you can just set it to go around at 3am - so that way it is stationary in a corner all day long, but it does its cleanup at night.

That's what we do - we wake up each morning to a fresh, clean downstairs rug. It is AMAZING how much fur it picks up from the 2 cats every single night.
Posted By: Julie-Cleaning Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/21/08 04:59 PM
You can program it to go at night? That would be so neat! It could hide under my work desk during the day. Nice, will need to look into that. The Scooba for the kitchen sounds great, too, but there is always bathroom traffic at night, someone might fall. :-(
Posted By: Adoption Editor Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/21/08 05:26 PM
I love the Oreck because of how light it is. However, after reading about the Roomba, I am very interested to find out more information. It sounds wonderful!

Posted By: Swishykid Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/21/08 09:30 PM
I have an Oreck that I love. It is lightweight and it just does an excellent job. I would really encourage anyone who is buying a vacuum to consider the weight of it before you buy it...if the vacuum is too heavy you will be less likely to get it out and use it because it will be such a hassle.
Posted By: Julie-Cleaning Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/21/08 10:23 PM
Good point Swishykid. It was a major selling point to me because of a wrist injury. I can't use heay vaccums unless I do it left handed.

I am left handed, for writing and eating, but not everything else. So being able to lift a vaccum, push it, and wrestle it away from children without pain is nice.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/22/08 01:08 AM
I have all my Roomba reviews online including videos of them smile

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
My Oreck must be about 15 years old. I love it for the same reason as everyone else, it's lightweight. I like that they provide a separate small vac for when you need attachments. For general everyday get the floor clean, cleaning, I don't need all the extra attachments.

It only takes me five or so minutes to do a quick daily vacuum sweep of the floors. I would like to compare it to a Dyson. I'd be interested to know if a Dyson would really clean any better.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/22/08 01:31 AM
Kim - do you have anyone nearby who owns a Dyson? Maybe you could do a cool in-home comparison for us!
I'd love to do an in home comparison, but don't think I know anyone who has a Dyson.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/22/08 07:01 AM
Lots of vacuum companies seem to offer in home trials or 30 day money back guarantees, does Dyson do anything like that?
I am amazed at how long you guys have had your vacuums. A vacuum cleaner lasts about 6-8 months in our house. That's why we are afraid to try anything expensive like a Roomba. My husband would be furious if we spent $200 and killed it after 6 months!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/23/08 11:58 AM
We got our first Roomba in 2006 and it's still going strong smile

The old steam cleaner is I think 7 or 8 years old? We did have to get new brushes for it but that was really my fault, I wasn't cleaning the hair out of them well enough and they got jammed up.
Posted By: Julie-Cleaning Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 02/23/08 02:29 PM
Remember I just reviewed an Oreck XL Review ? Well, guess what I found in my links this morning?

5 Minutes For Mom is giving one away. Neat little contest and hauntingly familiar to something else that is in the works, but I'm not going to spoil that surprise . . . 5Minutes For Mom
Posted By: karen47 Re: Your favorite vacuum cleaner? - 03/15/08 03:18 AM
I just got a Roomba a couple weeks ago. I don't have the one you can put on a timer, but I still love it. Whenever I am doing any other cleaning I can just turn it on and get the vacuuming done with no effort. My boyfriend and I were both impressed by how well it picks up the dirt. I keep the floors much cleaner, when I don't have to drag the vacuum out of the closet.
© BellaOnline Forums