BellaOnline
There's a new article up on the Biology site - Carnivorous Plants - An Introduction

Carnivorous plants have been of great interest to people for centuries. But, what do you <b>really</b> know about these unusual organisms?

After you read the article, come on back here to discuss it!
Although carnivorous plants do include predatory species that trap, kill and digest animal victims, none of them are &quot;man-eating.&quot; Contrary to some sci-fi movies I have seen, I think there are no carnivorous plants capable of trapping people. I have heard of Some tropical pitcher plants that may be large enough to trap small amphibians, but generally their diet is chiefly insects.
Katherine,

You are correct! As far as we know there are no giant, man-eating plants waiting to gobble us up! smile

I've read that if one of these carnivorous plant actually traps an animal too large they will likely die before they can digest it!
I adore venus fly traps. We had one for about a year and then my boyfriend killed it somehow. I think he forgot to water it.

It was funny when we bought it. I saw it at a Home Depot and had to have it. We brought it to the checkout counter where a Hispanic person was a cashier. She looked the plant over and read the label. She read out loud "Carniverous". She then looked at us in surprise and said "It eats meat?" Bob nodded merrily and told her we were going to let it nibble on our fingers. She seemed horrified smile I was good and told her it eats small bugs. She didn't seem much happier with that idea.
Carnivorous plants are those plants which derive some or most of their nutrients from trapping and consuming animals or protozoans,
Indeed they are!
© BellaOnline Forums