BellaOnline
Posted By: Modern Woman Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 07:31 AM
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 07:59 AM
You love posting little snippets like this, don't you CDM....?

What is your motive?
And what is YOUR opinion, Please?

Really, I am just curious.....
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 08:59 AM
Guess?
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 09:46 AM
I can't read your mind, and I would never presume to do so....
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 09:55 AM
What is your reaction to such news?
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 10:18 AM
I think it is sad that there are still countries who practise such cruel sentences, and i think it sad that the women seem to have been singled out for punishment, but there was "insufficient evidence" against the men, and I feel sad that the trial was such a travesty of justice, conducted in a language they did not understand, with no interpreter.

How would you imagine I would react?
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 10:23 AM
Can the UN do something about this?
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 10:32 AM
I would certainly hope so. it seems that they are alerted to it, so we can only hope....but it's not just about tackling this case. it's about the re-education of an entire nation, with different customs and points of View. And what works well in one country may not so readily and easily be accepted and adopted by another. Look at America's intention to establish a democracy in Iraq.... I can see their point, but Iraq is a country that has never known such a method of government, and it is demonstrably difficult to convince them of it's efficacy, especially when you look at democratic countries and all the problems they still have, even within such a practise....
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 10:40 AM
I think that UN has no powers to dictate to sovereign nations. Same thing happens in Pakistan, Saudi quite regularly. We are helpless.
Let us discuss more about it. Pakistan allows honor rapes. US supplies arms and aid to it. All democracies worry about themselves, but are not worried at all about human conditions in the countries they find useful.
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 11:04 AM
It's all down to power, false national Pride and money.

Not necessarily in that order.

We've been here before, haven't we....?
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 11:45 AM
Have you read Babak's posts about punishment in Islamic countries?
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 11:49 AM
I have read some, but probably not all, but they do not make for pleasant or agreeable reading, a lot of the time, do they?
Posted By: Mindy - Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/26/07 02:29 PM
has anyone read the short story "the lottery" it relates endlessly to this topic
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/27/07 04:06 AM
What is that story?
Posted By: Mindy - Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 03/27/07 01:42 PM
Its ...well quite obviously a story about a lottery..a whole city has gathered and are terribly excited...the children are all running aroudn gathering stones (which you assume are for skipping rocks or such)...there is one man in charge of the black box that contains all the family names. He draws a name (we will say jones since I for the life of me can't remember) and Mrs. Jones calls out to her oldest daughter asking her if she wants to join the family in the final draw (once they have drawn a family they pass out small pieces of paper to each membmer, the one who ends up with the black pieces of paper is the winner of the lottery. The daughter declines...the mother the father and both of the other children are given a piece of paper. The children open there hands..and have a white paper...then the husband..also white paper..then the mother looking terrified opens her hand ..and has a black piece of paper. Her own son pulls a one of the rocks he has gathered and throws it at his mother, the rest of the crowd joining in, and the woman is stoned to death. They don't question it, they don't attempt to stop it, it is merely a tradition that has been carried down therefore it is sadly okay in their community....
Posted By: engee Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 04/03/07 07:56 AM
i hope that was just a wierd story Mindy.
in a way the sudan govt is right.atleast men and women will value marraiges and family.
but the article says noth abt what the man was caught for or let free for.
Posted By: Lordsaveme Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 04/04/07 05:14 AM
Engee, you sound very innocent here. I am surprised with your posts on that prayer request where you joined with others to thrash a man.
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 04/04/07 10:20 AM
Lordsaveme, are you being deliberately antagonistic? you say you are a happy Buddhist...perhaps Right View, Intention and Speech are relevant here...?
Posted By: engee Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 04/04/07 01:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Lordsaveme
Engee, you sound very innocent here. I am surprised with your posts on that prayer request where you joined with others to thrash a man.

lordsaveme,did u read what cdm wrote to me?there was no reason to insult me.
i dono why u dont feel he has hurt me too.
i have apologised for the mistake on my part.
dont people in ur place not accept apologies like a few indians also dont?
Posted By: Lordsaveme Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 04/05/07 04:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Alexandra
Lordsaveme, are you being deliberately antagonistic? you say you are a happy Buddhist...perhaps Right View, Intention and Speech are relevant here...?

I am on this earth for 70 years now and I need not honestly learn from people like you who join with others and give suffering to a man. Are you a Buddhist, a practicing Buddhist? I have my doubts, because Buddha did not teach what you do. I am sorry if you feel bad, but you did not accept the request of that man but began telling him what was right. Are you, engee and others Gods? Law of karma says that all of you will reap what you sowed.
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 04/05/07 09:32 AM
Thank you for your input, which I take to heart.
Perception is often deception though, and through the simple medium of contributing to a forum such as this, I think it perhaps the least wise way of attempting to assess another person's character and intention.

A the wise Buddhist teaching says,

"Things are not always what they seem. Nor are they otherwise."

With metta.
Posted By: Lordsaveme Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 04/05/07 09:42 AM
You should take that to your heart. I like that.
Posted By: engee Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 04/05/07 09:45 AM
[ Are you, engee and others Gods?

lordsaveme,i am not God.I am an imprfect humanbeing.
And as i see it u happen to be someone who doesnt have an open mind.U seem to side cdm and find fault with me alone.
as i said before.....u really dono what it means to forgive eh?
again and again u dont find his comments harsh but even after i apologised u are taunting me.
man!!

Posted By: Alexandra Re: Two women to be stoned to death - 04/05/07 09:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Lordsaveme
You should take that to your heart. I like that.

Yes...because you too, are not all you seem, are you?

Hmmmmm??
© BellaOnline Forums