BellaOnline
Posted By: Ireca - Romance Movies Groundhog Day Movie Question - 06/26/16 01:59 PM
Do you think it is significant that the main character's name is Phil like the groundhog? If you do, why?
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Groundhog Day Movie Question - 06/26/16 02:09 PM
It has been a while since I have seen it (ironically i watched about a minute today while waiting for something - i did not hate it but its not a movie i feel the need to watch again) but I do not remember me thinking it when watching it. It probably is significant.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Groundhog Day Movie Question - 06/26/16 02:27 PM
This is one of my all time favorite movies Ireca smile

And I do think it's significant, though I never thought about why I think that. Now that you ask, I have a funny story to share....

When I was little, and heard that if the groundhog saw his shadow, we'd have six more weeks of winter, or if he didn't see his shadow, then we'd have spring in six weeks. Either way, spring is six weeks away HA HA!!

So my thought is that the groundhog (Phil) has either one perception or another, but it doesn't change the date that spring officially arrives.

Phil also has to go through a shift in perspective - and only through that shift can he finally move forward again.

So, that's my thought smile

How about you?
I have watched this movie so many times, and I've never thought about the significance until I watched it the other day.

I think there's a significance as well. It's almost as if he is the Groundhog or Groundhog day over his own life. When the Groundhog sees his shadow, everyone is stuck with six more weeks of winter. Phil, however, is stuck with much more. A shadow has been cast over his life, and he can't move forward until he changes his view.

Yes, I agree his perception...

Just a few of my thoughts. smile
© BellaOnline Forums