BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb What Trick-or-Treaters are you seeing? - 10/31/09 10:38 PM
I'm having some delicious butternut squash with cinnamon, and drinking Conundrum white wine. The weather is great here, so far we've had 8 trick or treaters.

We're giving out goodie bags with play-dough, glow stick bracelets and little puzzles and things in them. We avoid candy!

What trick or treaters are you seeing at your home?
I live in an apartment building. They set up a table downstairs so I don't get any kids knocking on my door. Judging from checking out the security cam...there is a large turnout.
LOL that is a cool idea! Get them all in one central location! Remote viewing of kids smile

We have still only had 8 kids total, it seems really quiet which is strange. It's a warm night out, no rain, and it's a Saturday!
Got any of that butternut squash left, Lisa? I love that!

We have not started getting little goblins here yet, it is still light out at 4:22 PM. I usually put treats in a large basket and sit out on the porch drinking hot chocolate or mocha to pass out treats. I prefer to give out things like the play dough, etc. also. I do not like to contribute to sugar intake for kids - they are hyper enough at this time of year.

We usually do not get more than 20 kids for the evening. I turn in at 8PM and lock up.
We just got another four kids but they weren't in costume. They had pillow cases for bags and one wanted extra items for his sister. I think they should at least try to dress up!
Dressing up is part of the fun in trick-r-treating. I remember when my siblings and I were kids we raided the attic, garage, basement, anywhere we could to come up with original costumes. One year I could find nothing to suit me, so I ran to the corn field and grabbed a corn stalk and tied it around my waist in back. I was a corn stalker!
The very best one was a little kangaroo with an enormous tail and a baby roo in her front pocket. Went through an enormous amount of goodies in just one hour!
It's 9:05pm - is this it for kids for the night? 13 kids total?? On a gorgeous, warm Saturday evening? Did all the kids go to a party?

What are we going to do with all these glow-in-the-dark bracelets??
It's 9:42pm - Bob thinks we should give up. I am stalling until 10 but I think he's right, that this is it.
I didn't stay home, I took our monsters out. There were tons of kids and people out in our neighborhood, nearly double last year I think!
We had a total of seven trick or treaters. I have tons of candy left. I thought we'd definitely end up with more. However, I have run into a bunch of kids here who told me they don't celebrate Halloween. Interesting. My family has generally been the hold out. I figured I'd get some candy this year since we live in a complex. I like the play dough & glow sticks idea! Maybe I'll try that next year.
Well now we have a lot of play dough and light sticks left over. I'm not sure if the play dough will keep until next year? We may donate them to a school.
Here's me in my Halloween costume, I wore it last night smile i.e. this photo was taken last night.

Posted By: Jilly Re: What Trick-or-Treaters are you seeing? - 11/04/09 08:27 AM
What a great photo! You look awesome, Lisa.

Kids aren't really going house to house anymore. It's apparently out of vogue for reasons of safety. Parents are taking their kids to halloween parties and downtown store areas that advertise as being 'halloween areas.'

And, hey. If kids showed up sans costumes, I wouldn't give them anything. What's the point? lol
Hah, the point is that you'll be due for the "trick" then, since they are making you an offer ... you can't refuse ... smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: What Trick-or-Treaters are you seeing? - 11/07/09 02:38 AM
hehehe...bring it on! >:)
LOL ah ok you see it as a challenge? Luckily I don't think kids really do the "tricks" of rotten eggs or toilet paper any more. Ah, the good old days wink
© BellaOnline Forums