BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/07/09 02:20 AM
I weaned myself off of caffeine several years ago and am SO glad I did it. I feel so much healthier and "even keel" now that I don't have the caffeine in me. I used to feel I had to have it to get started in the morning - but that is the whole point of addiction smile You feel you have to have it. Once you break that addiction you realize how much better things are without the monkey.

Does anyone on here want to wean down to less caffeine in their life? Let us know how much you post and we'll help out!

The key is to not go cold turkey. That can really cause problems for you. Wean yourself off slowly and find alternates. For example, go from caffeinated coffee to decaffeinated coffee for a week ...
Posted By: Jilly Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/07/09 02:51 AM
A year ago I stopped drinking fully caffeinated coffee. Now I only drink decaf, which tastes the same. I can't handle the adrenaline caffeine induces in my system. I am MUCH more in control of my emotions without regular coffee in my system. smile

The other day I made myself some black tea with caffeine and I got all revved up. it was a wild feeling - it had been a long time. lol
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/07/09 03:25 AM
I agree completely Jilly! If I drink coffee for some reason now I can feel the shock to my system smile
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/07/09 03:38 AM
I weaned myself off caffeinated sodas & tea. I now only drink caffeinated tea at restaurants. It doesn't seem to bother me in such limited quantities.

I used to get horrible headaches without caffeine, so I did it slowly, and it didn't take very long.
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/07/09 03:40 AM
I have to add that I drank caffeine all day, every day until about a year ago when I found it was keeping me up at night, so I cut it out after 5 pm.

About three months ago, I started weaning off the rest--just stopping earlier & earlier in the day--the early morning coke zero was the last to go & it's gone now.

Posted By: Jilly Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/07/09 03:49 AM
Deb, Dan is like that too. He can't have any caffeine after around 3pm or it ruins his daily cycle.

And let me add congrats to you for weaning yourself off coffee and soda!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/07/09 05:37 AM
Wow Deb that is awesome! Good for you, for making that transition!
Posted By: WalkingGranny Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/07/09 11:14 PM
Today is the first day I've tried going without caffine. I didn't have my morning coffee...substituted water..and at lunch I goofed and had a diet soda that had caffine. Oh well...tomorrow will be better. So far I haven't had any ill effects, but I do feel less jittery.
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/07/09 11:42 PM
Thanks, Jilly & Lisa.

Good for you WalkingGranny!
I've "weaned" myself off a couple of times, but always went back. I really should just quick caffeine completely because by day 2 I'm nauseous, dizzy, with a monstrous headache and in a really bad mood. By day 7, I've usually recovered a bit. I've wanted to go off again but the side effects are horrible!!!

I'm better though, I use to drink a 2 liter bottle plus of caffeine (soda and tea, no coffee) a day, now I have to drink anywhere from 4-8 ounces.

If anyone knows how to get weaned off without the side effects, PLEASE PLEASE share....
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/08/09 06:58 AM
Granny - that's great news! Take it one day at a time!

Dianne - Those side effects sound awful!! It really does sound like you're addicted to it, if those things start to happen when you're not getting your daily dose!

The key is to drop your intake *slowly* and not to go cold turkey. Right now you're drinking 4-8 ounces a day. So focus on the 4 side. Get yourself to the point where you're drinking ONLY four ounces a day. Since that's into your range already, you should be able to do that without any trouble.
I'm definitely going to try that because I hate being addicted to caffeine.... especially now that I'm working out and trying to really get healthy.
I've been like that since college when the diet was pizza and soda. (I could never eat another pepperoni pizza after I graduated, I'm glad that wasn't addictive...lol)
Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/08/09 11:21 AM
I quit coffee a couple of months ago, and it's the best thing I have ever done for myself!

I was getting terrible mood swings - particularly gloomy ones. I would get them around my monthly cycle, along with a horrible headache. I don't get PMS symptoms, but since I'm 46 I thought that I was starting to have hormonal imbalances. But, when I noticed the headache coming on twice while having my morning coffee, I thought I'd give stopping the coffee a try. Boy did it do wonders! After, of course, 4 days of terrible body aches - like I'd been beaten. But I drank tons of water to flush out the many toxins besides caffeine that coffee has in it, to quicken the process.

I'm not a soda drinker, and only usually had the one cup of coffee a day, but after I did some research I realized just the one cup was causing adrenal fatigue. It stimulates the "fight or flight" response in the adreanal glands, which is why you get that rush. I feel great now, with consistent energy throughout the day. Just so I didn't miss out on my morning routine, I started brewing a cup of Beyond Coffee, because the oils even in decaf are bad for the stomach. Beyond Coffee is simply roasted barley, rye and chicory and tastes very much like coffee.

Shannon
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/09/09 02:49 AM
LOL it is very true that it's good that pizza isn't addictive Dianne! Let us know how you're doing and we can help out with the caffeine part!!

Shannon that is awesome that you were able to break that habit! It is amazing what aches we accept as "part of aging" which are really driven by our food choices. You never really realize how badly you are feeling until you start eating differently!

I have to agree with you on decaf coffee. It know it's critical for some people as part of the "weaning" process so I generally hesitate to speak out against decaf coffee - but I drink herbal tea myself. That is very calming for me in the evening. In the morning I drink my EAS protein shake and that is enough to get me going.
Lisa,
Is there any particular type of herbal tea that you enjoy?
I quit coffee a year or so ago without ill effects. I drink green tea (I know that it has something that is similar to caffiene so maybe that's why) I feel better and I know that green tea is much better for me. In the evening I like to drink camomile or some other caffeine-free herbal tea.

easter queen Yay! This was my 4000th post. smile
Congratulations on the 4000th post!!! I'm diligently working my way to 800 :-)

I think I may hit the health food store today to see what they have.
Posted By: rdywenur Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/13/09 01:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Dianne W - Editor
I've "weaned" myself off a couple of times, but always went back. I really should just quick caffeine completely because by day 2 I'm nauseous, dizzy, with a monstrous headache and in a really bad mood. By day 7, I've usually recovered a bit. I've wanted to go off again but the side effects are horrible!!!

I'm better though, I use to drink a 2 liter bottle plus of caffeine (soda and tea, no coffee) a day, now I have to drink anywhere from 4-8 ounces.

If anyone knows how to get weaned off without the side effects, PLEASE PLEASE share....

Maybe the best way is to decrease you daily intake the first week and then to slowly incorporate decaf with reg and each time increasing to a bit more decaf till finally it would be all decaf.
I took me three or four tries to get off caffeine. After college and grad school I was totally addicted and did quit cold turkey. Went through the headaches which really stunk. I find now if I have a soda after roughly 5pm I'm wired until 1am or later. I really try not to do that.

My favorite herbal tea is peppermint which I make with 1/2 water, 1/2 skim milk and splenda. I'm a tea latte (chai) type of gal. I also am drinking Good Earth Decaf Chai made latte style which is super yummy. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/13/09 08:53 PM
Just a heads up - green tea DOES have caffeine in it - it's just a lower caffeine level than black tea does.

I have an article about caffeine here -

Tea and Caffeine

Green tea has more caffeine than Coke does smile It is lower than "regular black tea" though, and lower than coffee. So it's all relative in the world of caffeine.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/13/09 08:54 PM
Dianne - we have a TON of herbal teas on our shelf so that we drink a lot of liquid and keep our taste buds entertained. It's easy to get bored of one flavor if you drink it too much, and then you stop drinking enough liquids.

I talk about a lot of them in the tea forum, which is a great place to discuss tea!

BellaOnline Tea Forum
Posted By: WalkingGranny Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/13/09 10:36 PM
I've given up coffee for 2 weeks.. I subsitute water in the morning, and on weekends I make decaf coffee in a press. One day last week when I was out with my friends for breakfast I had 2 cups (I used to drink a 12 cup pot everyday). I was wired, and my breathing was erratic. Not hard for me to leave coffee alone anymore.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/13/09 11:17 PM
Try tea too - tea is tasty and give you that warm-liquid satisfaction!

Wow I can't even imagine drinking 12 cups in a single day!!
So what I'm gathering is if I'm trying to kick the caffeine habit that Green tea probably isn't the BEST way to go. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/14/09 01:39 AM
Dianne - it is a great weaning tool! Anything that reduces your consumption is going to be a help. If going from black tea to green tea helps you, that's great!
Posted By: Lady J Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/14/09 03:56 AM
I have weaned myself off of high levels of caffeine. I am now down to only the caffeine in my brewed iced black tea and occasional soda.

I can do weeks without and no headaches so I know I am not dependant.
Posted By: WalkingGranny Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/14/09 04:17 PM
Jase, I've long made my iced tea with decaf bags. That way I can have all I want at night and still sleep.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/14/09 10:06 PM
That's great Jase!

Yup decaf iced tea is a great idea Granny!
Posted By: Lady J Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/15/09 02:05 AM
I have not found a decap tea that I like yet. I am trying greens and such. My friend is a barista and she has brought me some new teas to try.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/15/09 03:12 AM
We found a number of "sampler packs" and are trying random varieties from them, sometimes you come across unusual teas that you happen to love!

Another idea is to combine flavors smile
Posted By: Lady J Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/15/09 03:41 AM
my problem is I don't like herbal teas or flavored teas. I am a tea purist ;0)
Posted By: WalkingGranny Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/15/09 01:44 PM
I buy Harris brand...it's the best one I've found. I can hardly taste the difference. I don't care for Tetly decaf, don't think I've tried Salada.
Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/17/09 10:30 PM
Try "Beyond Coffee!" It's 100% organic, and made with roasted barley, chicory and rye. It looks, tastes and brews like coffee, but it has no caffeine or toxins. I have it every morning, and I really don't miss the coffee. smile

Shannon
Posted By: WalkingGranny Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/18/09 07:32 PM
I haven't seen that in the markets here...is that something I'd need to go to a health food store for?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/19/09 12:31 AM
Jase - there are hundreds of different flavors in herbal teas so I bet if you tried a bunch of them you'd find at least some that you like! Even if you don't like a few of the common ones you can really adore the uncommon ones.

Give it a try!
Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/19/09 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: WalkingGranny
I haven't seen that in the markets here...is that something I'd need to go to a health food store for?

Yes, most health food stores and coops carry it, but if the one near you doesn't you can always request that they do. Matter of fact, the coop I belong to didn't carry it so I put in a request. Not only did it appear on the shelf soon after, but it sells out very quickly!

Shannon
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/19/09 11:55 PM
That does sound cool Shannon - I'll try making some for my dad the next time he's over and see what he thinks!
Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/20/09 10:18 PM
I'm just sure that he'll love it, Lisa! It's the best thing since actual coffee... smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/21/09 08:16 AM
We'll see - he is very set in his ways, but I'll try offering it to him without commenting on it and see what he says smile
Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/24/09 10:54 AM
Yeah! Do let us know how he responds... smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/25/09 07:39 PM
Granny - you were going off caffeine back on the 7th. Have you pretty much stayed off? How are you doing?
Posted By: WalkingGranny Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/26/09 12:39 AM
No problem...when I want coffee I do decaf...I haven't had any bad side effects..only good ones..my heart doesn't race anymore. Funny, I don't even miss it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Weaning Yourself Off of Caffeine - 04/26/09 01:56 AM
That is wonderful news Granny - I'm glad the transition went so smoothly!
© BellaOnline Forums