BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/03/09 04:55 AM
Cheese is an awesome part of a balanced diet - it brings you calcium!

Here's a write-up on Pepperjack -

Cheese Article

I tend to eat cheddar, gouda, and Swiss Knight triangle cheese. What do you like to eat?
Posted By: Claybird Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/03/09 07:26 PM
Oh man! They are ALL good to me! I had a lovely creamy feta on my salad for lunch today; other favorites are any variety of blue cheese, nice aged cheddars (I stopped at a cheese shop in Wisconsin a few years ago, they had a 25 year old cheddar that I sampled and it was amazingly rich and smooth. Unfortunately all I could afford to buy was a 10 year old piece, but that was really good too.)...I've got to stop! I'll be running to the kitchen to snack in a minute if I keep this up. That's the trouble with cheese, it is SO good and so full of calories.
Posted By: Joan541 Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/03/09 07:42 PM
My parents live in southern Oregon and there's a cheese place there that invented the best cheese I've ever had. It's called Crater Lake Blue. They've even won awards in Europe and all over for that cheese.

It costs about $30/lb but when I go home, I go over there and buy a couple oz of it.

I love all kinds of cheeses but the specialty cheeses are often well worth the money and the calories.
I usually eat cheddar and jack cheese. I like pepper jack but it tends to have too any surprises for me.
Posted By: Mexican Food Editor Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/03/09 11:06 PM
I love cheese - cheddar, feta, blue, jack, swiss but I think my current favorite is brie.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/04/09 05:41 PM
I tried to find a photo of Swiss Knight - my Gruyere triangle-cheese favorite - on the web but couldn't smile My grandmother used to feed it to me when I was young.
Posted By: MikeV Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/04/09 08:39 PM
I have to say, I enjoy most types of cheese. While eating Low Carb though, I tend to spend more for better cheese. There are too many places where a low carb diet causes you to forfeit taste, cheese is not one of them. I am lucky to have a specialty cheese shop fairly close, so I have access to some excellent choices, that are perfectly aged, and have been kept at the optimum temperature and conditions. I use this shop for some great Parmesan/Reggiano, Gorgonzola, and fresh Mozzarella. My favorite supermarket choices are Finlandia Muenster and Kraft American Deli slices. Great taste, especially the Finlandia, plus they both carry the all important <1 gram carb count. .
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/04/09 09:04 PM
I am completely with you Mike. It is much better to have a high quality cheese you love and to really enjoy the experience. It can really add amazing quality to any dish, plus calcium. It's one of those "home made products" that you can really have a huge difference in if you have a store bought generic one vs a hand made tasty one.

This is definitely one of those areas where buying locally at a farmer's market can be both environmentally conscious and wonderful for your taste buds smile
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/04/09 09:30 PM
I like Pepper jack also, but i buy the soy pepper jack. the veggie cheese
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/05/09 04:33 AM
soy pepper jack? I haven't seen that! I'll have to look for it although I don't get enough calcium so a key reason I have cheese is for that calcium.
Posted By: Lady J Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/05/09 04:53 AM
I enjoy Blues right now. I have done everything from buttermilk blues, to maytag, to others. I am currently awaiting an order of gormet international blues.

Other than that I like Cheddars, especially sharper ones, farmers, provalone, mozzerella, and others. But since I am lactose intollerant, i can only have cheeses every so often.
Posted By: NewYorkMegan Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/05/09 09:11 AM
How could one POSSIBLY choose? If there was a way to live off cheese alone, I would definitely sign up!

I love aged gouda, aka oudekaas, the most common brand being Old Amsterdam. Creamy, nutty, mmmm... that might be my favorite at the moment.

I also love fresh goat milk cheese, Irish cheddar, any triple-creme, haloumi, sliced parmesan (who needs pasta?), and super-ripe blues.

Now I'm going to go have to have a snack.
Posted By: kaseynj7 Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/05/09 07:26 PM
Hi I like all cheeses except blue cheese..My fav are extra sharp vermont cheddar and swiss variations..Hard cheeses are my faV..SINCE recently starting a low carb eating plan, am able to experience cheese without guilt(of course in moderation
Posted By: Rep Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/05/09 07:34 PM
Goat milk cheese is really good.
Posted By: Lady J Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/06/09 12:54 AM
i hated blue cheeses until I was almost 30. I think its a very grown=up adult taste cheese. It is also an acquired taste.
Posted By: M o e Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/06/09 01:01 AM
I like Jalapeno Harvarti the best followed by feta in my salad or on my bruchetta. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/07/09 10:39 PM
Jase - I'm almost 40 and I still can't eat blue cheeses. I think it's the salt - it feels like my throat is closing up and my face flushes. I have tried and tried to get to like them since they're often served at restaurants but so far I haven't had any success. It's great that you can eat them!
David discovered a cheese at Wholefood Markets called "Robusto", it is absolutely wonderful. It is almost a cross between parmesan and swiss - that's the best way I can describe it.

But it is completely addictive! (and expensive)
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/08/09 05:55 AM
That sounds really cool Michelle - I'll have to look for that!
Posted By: Lady J Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/08/09 06:47 AM
Lisa,

I agree. I have found some blues to be salty. it is a matter of finding the right one. But like I said before.. its an acquired taste. Some people will never like it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/09/09 05:47 AM
Maybe there's hope for me yet if I keep trying smile

I do love my swiss knight! I'll mail order it if I can't find it in local stores smile
I like pepperjack, feta on salads, and Happy Cow cheese that's found in the specialty cheese section - especially the garlic. I found out about the Happy Cow when I read an overview of the South Beach Diet. It's great on crackers.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 01/15/09 05:00 AM
I think I tried Happy Cow thinking it was the Swiss Knight and was disappointed because it wasn't Swiss Knight. I should try it again and just enjoy it for what it is smile
Posted By: NewYorkMegan Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 02/13/09 05:22 AM
Lisa, some people are allergic to the molds in blue cheese, and the reaction you described sounds like it could be an allergic one - the red face part, especially. The fact that it tastes "wrong" to you (aka yucky) might just be that your body is saying "NOOOOOO! Don't do it!"

There is some research that suggests that distastes for certain foods may have to do with allergies or sensitivities to those foods.
Vermont Extra Sharp (white) is my fave.

I dont really care for the yellow cheeses like some sharp cheeses come in nor do I care for the yellow American slices.

On food I love Mozzarella and Provolone and Land O' Lakes White American slices.
Vance I love cooking with Vermont Extra Sharp White, it melts so much better than the yellow cheddars, and just has a creamier flavor and texture.

I actually had a recipe on here somewhere using it, but I can't seem to find it - it must have been a few years ago.

Here it is again in case anyone is interested - it uses butternut squash instead of any pasta, since 2 of us in the family have had gastric bypass, and so many have diabetes! (BTW - I entered it into a cooking contest, that's why it has such specific instrucions - don't expect all my recipes to be this organized, LOL!)

Butternut Squash Au gratin recipe

Prep Time: 55 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients:
� � lb. portabella mushrooms � stems & gills removed, chopped
� 2 shallots, minced
� 3 cloves garlic, minced
� 1/2 lb. sharp, white cheddar, shredded
� 1 � TB (about 3 sprigs) fresh rosemary, chopped
� 1 � TB (about 4 large) sprigs thyme, chopped
� 1 lb. Butternut squash, peeled, seeded, halved, and cut into � in. slices (about 2 medium)
� 1 TB. Olive oil
� 1 tsp Kosher Salt divided
� 1/3 tsp White Pepper
� 1 Tbsp plus � Tbsp butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In large skillet melt 1 TB butter in olive oil.
3. Add shallots and garlic, saut� one minute.
4. Add mushrooms, � tsp kosher salt and 1/3 tsp white pepper. Saut� until mushrooms are slightly soft (about 2 min.)
5. add herbs. Saut� for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
6. Butter sides and bottom of 2.5 quart oval baking dish with � TB butter.
7. Layer 1/3 of squash in dish.
8. Sprinkle 1/8 tsp salt.
9. Layer 1/3 mushroom mixture
10. Layer 1/3 shredded cheese
11. Repeat layering 2 more times.
12. Pour 1 cup heavy whipping cream over top.
13. Cook uncovered for 40 min. or until squash is tender.

Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 02/16/09 02:31 PM
I like most cheese EXCEPT for american and velvetta.
Blue cheese, feta, gouda, cheddar, provolone, mozzarella,
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What's Your Favorite Cheese? - 02/17/09 06:02 AM
Ooooo that sounds like a yummy recipe!

I wonder if I am allergic to blue cheese. Maybe I can eat a small dose under controlled circumstances and see what happens smile
© BellaOnline Forums