BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Favorite Veggie? - 03/07/11 08:11 AM
Veggies are so good for you - full of nutrition! Do you have a veggie? How do you like to eat it?
Posted By: CynK Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/07/11 08:53 AM
My favotrite is brussel sprouts - I know ... the one most people hate!! Sometimes I even have them for breakfast (I am not one for traditional breakfast foods - this morning I had left over lentils!!) One of my favorite ways is 'au gratin' - puree cooked sprouts with a little bit of olive oil - put in a shallow dish and top with bread crumbs and cheese, bake in the oven till golden - ok - not the healthiest way to eat them - but yummy!! I am convinced people who don't like sprouts are just cooking them wrong ;-)
And spinach - you can add spinach to just about everything. And sweet potato and cauliflower too ... and green asparagus ... hmmm maybe I don't have a favorite!
I don't think a meal is a meal without something green in it - it looks wrong!
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/07/11 10:35 AM
I am in total agreement with CynK, give me a brussel sprout any day. I like them boiled in salty water until they are 'cooked'. I do not like undercooked sprouts but they can be as mushy as they come and I will eat them.

I could be CynK's twin because I too love spinach, sweet potato and cauliflower, in fact I can't think of a veggie I do not like...

My boys are the same and have always eaten all their veggies, I guess because I gave them no option!
Posted By: anna*AHHA* Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/09/11 06:10 PM
My favorite is eggplant and I could eat it every day! For a lower carb version, instead of using breadcrumbs, I simply dip the eggplant slices in beaten egg with a little salt and grated romano cheese. I fry until golden brown in EVOO. YUMMY!!!

As far as the sprouts go, they are sinfully tasty with crumbled bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Gotta go...getting hungry!
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/09/11 06:17 PM
All of them except for broccoli. Don't know why but I don't like it. I still eat it from time to time.
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/12/11 03:02 AM
I love asparagus and spinach (not at the same time, however. I love them both sauted in a little EVOO.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/13/11 04:58 AM
I adore brussels sprouts that is our go to veggie here! Eggplant parm is awesome too smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/13/11 05:00 AM
Mine - zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes. Mixed lettuces.

Never had brussels sprouts.
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/13/11 08:11 PM
I love lots of vegetables and don't know if I can pick just one favorite. But here's one that hasn't been mentioned so far: MUSHROOMS!!!

I love mushrooms!

Another not mentioned yet...ARTICHOKES!!! And SEAWEED!!!

But I also adore tomatoes, onions, zucchini, asparagus, brussels sprouts, pea sprouts, bean sprouts, taro leaves, spinach, carrots, cabbages, green beans, Chinese broccoli, cucumbers...

Oh, and BEETS!!! Now I'm hungry. smile
Posted By: Tuculia, Daughters Editor Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/13/11 09:50 PM
Hey Lisa,

My favorite veggie is carrots with ranch dressing.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/17/11 07:41 AM
Now wait aren't mushrooms fungi which are different than plants? smile

I do love a seaweed salad! They're very healthy for you too.

I used to hate carrots and now I am fairly happy eating them. It goes to show that if you keep working at something that you can make it happen smile Your tongue adjusts!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/19/11 08:06 PM
This is where it gets complicated. Half of 'veggies' are not veggies. They are fruit, algae and fungi.

Seaweed is algae
Mushrooms are fungi
Fruit - tomatoes, eggplant, cukes, zukes, squash and others
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/19/11 08:10 PM
I love most vegetables - steamed. I'm not into raw so much. Salads but not the raw vegie tray.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/19/11 09:40 PM
I love eggplant of any variety. In high school, they used to prepare it fried. Heavenly! I also love it in an Italian casserole, cooked with soy sauce, or however. My favorite was when I roasted peppers, eggplant, and thinly sliced (lengthwise) squash in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper in a 500 degree oven. I took the results and put the hot veggies on a baguette with warm spaghetti sauce and thinly sliced provolone cheese. Wowzer!
Posted By: Robin - Card Games Editor Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/20/11 12:18 AM
Green Beans - love them best when they are steamed and fresh from the garden. Then comes: corn (but NOT creamed), onions, mushrooms, peppers (NOT hot), asparagus, brussel sprouts, cauliflower (mashed like potatoes) carrots (especially in crockpot stews with potatoes).

Roasted vegetables - when they are roasted, I will eat almost any veggie. My faves for roasting are asparagus, green peppers, onions, carrots, and red and yellow peppers.
Posted By: Lynne - ChristianLiving Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/20/11 02:09 AM
Quote:
My favorite was when I roasted peppers, eggplant, and thinly sliced (lengthwise) squash in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper in a 500 degree oven. I took the results and put the hot veggies on a baguette with warm spaghetti sauce and thinly sliced provolone cheese. Wowzer!

That sounds wonderful. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/24/11 09:12 PM
On the topic of carrots I am SO glad I trained myself to like them. We went out to dinner a few nights ago and with my steak they had "veggies". When the plate came it was a gigantic mound of carrots. In the past I would have been horrified but now I was able to eat them and mostly enjoy them smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/24/11 10:10 PM
it is interesting how people think that starchy foods are veggies. My mom thinks of potatoes, peas and corn when she hears veggies. I should probably explain to her that they are essentially bread. ::)
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/24/11 10:38 PM
Jilly (or anyone who knows!) what are cukes and zukes?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/24/11 10:52 PM
Asha, those are fruits, technically.
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/24/11 11:17 PM
What type of fruits Jilly? I've never heard of them so have no idea...
Posted By: Jilly Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/24/11 11:34 PM
They are in the squash family, Cucurbitaceae. Melons/pumpkins are in this family too. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/24/11 11:35 PM
Oh, maybe you don't know them by the nicknames? cucumbers and zucchinis.
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/24/11 11:36 PM
Thanks Jilly. Do you cook with them?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/28/11 11:05 PM
Asha - they have cucumbers in England, in fact they were cultivated in France in the early middle ages and were eaten in England by the core of the middle ages. I have to research this sort of thing for my medieval novels. So they are definitely found in England.

Isn't the cucumber sandwich a classic English thing? smile

I say you find a cucumber, make a cucumber sandwich, and let us know what you think!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/28/11 11:12 PM
Asha, I don't cook mainly. I like them both in salads, cukes in tuna fish, or zucchinis sauteed.
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/28/11 11:57 PM
While I differ in my regard of brussel sprouts (I probably am cooking them wrong), I do like most everything else mentioned here. I love kale salad or kale soup (as it could be called). In African American culture, over boiled green leaves with water, spices, herbs and sometimes meat, creates a dish simply called "Greens"; I call it kale (or collard or mustard green) soup. Tastes amazing w/cornbread.

I love oven Ratatouille (Jill will laugh at this) asparagus, zukes, squash, tomatoes, (sometimes) eggplant, and onions drizzled w/EVOO, salt & pepper set on the grill or in the oven (at 450) for 10 minutes or less. I love it over brown rice and w/black beans.

Finally, I am becoming a lover of raw food. So, salads make me jump for joy. A raw pesto dressing or fresh lemon juice & Apple cider vinegar as a dressing are heavenly.

A greek salad, no cheese, is my absolute favorite! Bon Appetite!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Favorite Veggie? - 03/31/11 08:54 AM
Yes definitely fresh raw veggies are very good for you. Often when you cook veggies you break down their fiber levels so they have less fiber after cooking than they did beforehand. Also vitamins can leech out in the water so if you cook in water and then take the veggies out of the water to eat them you leave a lot of the nutrition behind.

So it's a good idea to learn to enjoy raw veggies!

For brussel sprouts - try the steamer microwave bags!
© BellaOnline Forums