BellaOnline
Posted By: Gregory - Hiking/BP Editor How do you learn best? - 09/05/07 08:28 AM
How do you learn? Is it easier for you to memorize material or do you find it better to apply what you're learning to solve a problem?

Chunking, presenting materials chunked in small groups, helps the brain remember (think of learning phone numbers).

In a recent course on developing user interfaces in classrooms, we had a group project of designing a sample course and then inviting others to test it. I liked the opportunity to apply new ideas directly to experience.

How about you? How do you prefer to learn: memorize or do?

Gregory
Posted By: lynlin Re: How do you learn best? - 09/18/07 06:49 PM
I use a combination of both. The basics of any subject can be learned through rote; however, to get any real use of that learning one must put it into practice. Also; in my opinion, the knowledge memorized won't really make sense until it has been applied.
Posted By: MegM_BusinessCoach Re: How do you learn best? - 10/01/07 07:54 PM
For me & those I coach - experience is the best teacher. If we can put the information into real life and work with it right away, it sinks in.

Listening to a long lecture or reading extensive text to explain something makes me glaze over.
Posted By: freespirit Re: How do you learn best? - 10/05/07 07:09 AM
I am a hands on type of person if I can use it day to day I can learn it and never for get it but things like history names and dates....forget it!!!

I am also an emotional learner if I can put myself into a theory or concept i can learn it and remember it like religion and psychology....

I did have a teacher who told me I learn backwards from others for example he could give me a question from the end of the math book and explan it step by step who to do it and I would get it but I could not understand a question from the front of the book. he told me I should work backwards and learn the hard stuff then the easy stuff. to bad I went to public school and it was a one way taught fits all! lol
© BellaOnline Forums