BellaOnline
Posted By: Patricia PN - DL Editor Teaching Online - 01/19/14 04:04 PM
What is your greatest challenge while teaching in an online environment?
Posted By: Sheryl T Re: Teaching Online - 03/01/15 04:21 PM
I taught online for UniversalClass.com for about 9 years. I wrote and facilitated five classes for them. I think the greatest challenge was grading and commenting on student's work. Even though I was always tremendously positive in my statements, there sometimes was that one student 'interpreting' in their own voice and reading something different into my comments. This got a bit tiresome to me but I never let it affect the way I taught.
Posted By: KHowe Re: Teaching Online - 01/05/16 02:20 PM
I taught online for awhile after years of teaching in a brick and mortar setting. The danger with online education is making sure that students do not slip between the cracks. Not every student has a parent that is good at supervising their education and making sure that student is progressing daily.
Posted By: Patricia PN - DL Editor Re: Teaching Online - 01/31/16 01:51 PM
KHowe:

Yes, students must be held accountable for their work. I think keeping in touch with them on a weekly basis does foster motivation. I would recommend virtual learning for adult learners, but am not so sure about students in high school or at the community college level. Social skills are an important component of the learning process, so perhaps if younger students want to take a course online, they should combine it with on-campus courses as well. Thanks for your feedback.

Patricia
© BellaOnline Forums